TJ is shaky in park

Mcnenc1

TJ Enthusiast
2004 TJ Sahara 4L 146K miles

Problem: shaky when in park. Clunky noise when turning slowly from underneath.

Any insight?

I would start by checking torque on the control arms, track bar, and drag link.

Then have somebody slowly move the wheel while you look underneath and look for anything that doesn't seem right.

Reactions: Mcnenc1
I assume you mean when sitting and turning the wheel?
Otherwise it may have an Aussie locker like mine that will tick/clunk when turning in particular in one direction when turning on the move.
Did you just buy this rig recently? --And do you know if it have a locker up front or rear?

Sorry- I just re-read your post and noticed you said while in park. Get an assistant to turn steering wheel (like Alex said) while you lay under it listening for location of sound and if you can't locate it then carefully place a hand on every joint while steering is turning to find play in joints.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mcnenc1

@Mcnenc1 I was using the same assumption. In addition to what @Phil Younger added If your experiencing excessive shacking while idling I would also add to the list: Check Transmission mount for wear in addition to the engine mount. Also, make sure the engine mounts aren't overly tight.

Otherwise it may have an Aussie locker like mine that will tick/clunk when turning in particular in one direction when turning on the move.
Did you just buy this rig recently? --And do you know if it have a locker up front or rear?

Sorry- I just re-read your post and noticed you said while in park. Get an assistant to turn steering wheel (like Alex said) while you lay under it listening for location of sound and if you can't locate it then carefully place a hand on every joint while steering is turning to find play in joints.
Yeah I just bought it. And not sure what you mean by locker sorry... also, the shaking wasn’t anything crazy but it did shake.. I looked and torqued everything down to make sure nothing was overly tighten, it wasn’t. I did go out on a whim and seafoamed the entire engine, oil head gasket, and power brake and it did fix the shaking problem

A locker is something to make both wheels on the same axle turn at same time even if one is off the ground. If they are Locked or like my Aussie (automatic) they will make for some noise if turning. That is not your issue since you were sitting still.
Not sure what you mean you "seafoamed the entire engine, oil head gasket, and power brake" unless you mean you added it to the fluids.
I have a strong feeling this will return.

Oh okay. And that’s what I meant. I wasn’t using sea foam as a fix I was just stating the result which was that it stoppe the shaking which is weird to me. Im definitely going to look again and put it on a lift to really see what’s happening.. the transmission mount and engine mount are torqued right too..

Yeah I just bought it. And not sure what you mean by locker sorry... also, the shaking wasn’t anything crazy but it did shake.. I looked and torqued everything down to make sure nothing was overly tighten, it wasn’t. I did go out on a whim and seafoamed the entire engine, oil head gasket, and power brake and it did fix the shaking problem

Sounds like two different problems one is a low idle or it was running rough and another steering, suspension, something's loose problem. What RPM was it idling at? Was the RPM jumping or moving at all with the shaking? Maybe check plugs/wires, clean throttle body and change the air filter if its dirty, clean IAC, check vacuum hoses on valve cover for cracks/leaks. I'm not sure what you mean by "seafoamed the entire engine", did you clean the outside or did you run it through the fuel system to clean the internals? Either way I agree it will likely come back if it was running rough. Could also be a bad motor mount but i expect that would shake while moving as well.

Good luck,

That’s the problem I checked all I could check when it comes to looseness with a torque wrench.. and yea sea foaming as cleaning the internals.

Okay awesome ill check back in tomorrow when I cover everything you just told me thanks

Okay guys here what I found. Steering shaft is rubning against the inside of the frame/“tire well” I’ll post a photo here soon. That’s where the clunky noise is coming from.

I cleaned the carburetor/flushed the engine and internals, and vacuum line. No more rough starts or the inconsistent shaking while I’m in park or Drive at low resting RPMs... now i don’t think that’s a Solution but rather a fix..

I took a torque wrench to engine mount, tranny, and suspension and made sure they were all torqued to spec. They were all fine.

Photos coming in a minute

Reactions: Alex01