Tj jeep wrangler info needed

harleyrocks91

Hey guys the misso unfortunately baught a tj and i need info on it. Its a 1996 model. Want to know the name of the engine. Like a 4l motor in a landcruiser is a 2h. Or petrol is a 2f. What are the jeeps called? Another family member owns an 05 tj thats gets 300km to 72 litres of fuel. Can those who know please educate me on these motors? Also whats a good place to buy stuff to make a jurassic park jeep look alike?
ac3bc26b4418cbe540d7a226619b475e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum...Why do yo say Unfortunately, your missus bought a TJ? Most of the guys around here would be elated if their wifes or girlfriends bought a jeep!

Jeep's engine, if its the inline 6 cylinder is a 4.0L H.O. That's all I've ever heard of it reffered to, just jeep 4.0L if you have a 4 cylinder, then its a 2.5L or a 2.7L.

Welcome to the forum...Why do yo say Unfortunately, your missus bought a TJ? Most of the guys around here would be elated if their wifes or girlfriends bought a jeep!

Jeep's engine, if its the inline 6 cylinder is a 4.0L H.O. That's all I've ever heard of it reffered to, just jeep 4.0L if you have a 4 cylinder, then its a 2.5L or a 2.7L.
I wish she baught a 40 series landcruisers

Mines made in 11/1996

In America, the "model year" and the "production year" aren't always the same. For example, even though your jeep was made in November of 1996 it would be considered a 1997 model year. In America we will be able to buy a 2018 Toyota Camry next month even though it'll take 5 more months until the calendar rolls over to 2018. It doesn't necessarily make sense to me either, but that's just the way it is.

Reactions: harleyrocks91
Oh well. Built in 96 im just going to call it a 96

The issue doing that is, when it comes to buying parts, there won't be a 96 Jeep Wrangler listed. There was no 1996 model year Wrangler. The previous Wrangler, YJ, was built until 1995. 1996 was skipped and the TJ designation came in as a 1997 model year.

Oh well. Built in 96 im just going to call it a 96

generally you need to say the "model" year, if you want proper advice. if you go to a parts store and say "I need X for a 96 jeep Wrangler" they will say "we don't have parts for that as a 96 wrangler doesn't exist"

( you can also find out whatever you need to know about your specific jeep by looking up VIN https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-can-i-find-the-build-sheet-for-my-jeep-wrangler-tj.3838/ )

Mines made in 11/1996

Yeah mine was made in 11/1999, but its a 2000. As other had said, there are parts compatible with the '99 but not the '00. So the year does make a difference in some situations. You have a '97.

BTW, I believe the Jurassic Park wrangler was a '92 YJ Sahara if i'm not mistaken. Though I have seen one or two TJ's that have pulled it off in photo's. Think you'd need a half doors, winch, windshield light bar with 4 lights, BFG A/T's, a new paint job, and decals to start.

Last edited:
Im abit yes and know on it. Im bummed she chose it over a bj40. But maybe it will grow on me more once i start to understand it and tinker. Already failed us once in a few hours

Mines made in 11/1996

Anything made 6/96 and after is technically considered a 1997.

This is why you see 2018 model vehicles for sale in mid-2017. That's how it works for all vehicles.

I do understand where you are coming from wanting a BJ; I wanted a Fj for the longest time. When I moved to Colorado it was going to be the perfect combination. However the move was delayed and I had time to really consider things. Once moved I bought an 05 LJ (TJ) and I am glad I did. The LJ is more stable, capable, and serviceable vehicle over the FJ. It is more stable on the trail in off camber situations and being a more modern design can handle elevation changes of 6K without any of the worries you can get with a carb'ed motor. Parts are mostly available off the shelf even at 12 yrs old. And lastly, I did a frame off resto on a 73 F250 Camper Special a few years ago and once was enough for me. All of the FJs I saw were 20K and in need of restoration. So as I figure it I got a better ride for half the price...But you milage may vary.

Reactions: UpperMI
I do understand where you are coming from wanting a BJ; I wanted a Fj for the longest time. When I moved to Colorado it was going to be the perfect combination. However the move was delayed and I had time to really consider things. Once moved I bought an 05 LJ (TJ) and I am glad I did. The LJ is more stable, capable, and serviceable vehicle over the FJ. It is more stable on the trail in off camber situations and being a more modern design can handle elevation changes of 6K without any of the worries you can get with a carb'ed motor. Parts are mostly available off the shelf even at 12 yrs old. And lastly, I did a frame off resto on a 73 F250 Camper Special a few years ago and once was enough for me. All of the FJs I saw were 20K and in need of restoration. So as I figure it I got a better ride for half the price...But you milage may vary.

I used to own an 1980 FJ 40 with my brother. The FJ 40 was an absolute tank. And it rode like one too. The springs could be punishing at times. I would take my TJ hands down over an FJ40. The FJ was cool and took me many places offroad, but it was a tough ride. Buying your LJ was the right move to make.