TJ leaking water from the left side

OneUpJeep

Hi, super new to this forum and jeeps in general. I picked one up about a week ago and noticed a wet spot on the exhaust that seems to drip from the rim of the sump on the left side of the engine/sump, would coolant leaking from the water pump/thermostat housing cause this? i thought it would leak from the front but seems to follow the crack between the sump and the engine.

mind you it doesn't over heat or get hot (100c) middle on the coolant temp mind you it could just be a minor leak which will progress so want to get it sorted.

Looking at replacing

Water pump.
Thermostat housing and the little pipe that connects to it.
Thermostat.

Just seeing if anyone else has had this before, iv search and its normally at the front.

2003 tj 4L Aus

Check the lower rad hose connection to the water pump..welcome to the forum
Yeah iv sus'ed out all the coolant lines and didn't notice anything, i can kind of see wetness (glimmering under light) above the water pump where it meets the engine but its really hard to see anything without taking them off, but its not leaking a lot to really see where its coming from.

Yeah iv sus'ed out all the coolant lines and didn't notice anything, i can kind of see wetness (glimmering under light) above the water pump where it meets the engine but its really hard to see anything without taking them off, but its not leaking a lot to really see where its coming from.

Do you have a pressure tester? If not buy one and put it to use. I would clean everything really well first and get a buttload of lighting and put pressure to the system

Hi, super new to this forum and jeeps in general. I picked one up about a week ago and noticed a wet spot on the exhaust that seems to drip from the rim of the sump on the left side of the engine/sump, would coolant leaking from the water pump/thermostat housing cause this?
Just to be clear; when you say left, we assume (U.S.) driver side.

Just to be clear; when you say left, we assume (U.S.) driver side.

welcome ! he says it's on the exhaust ! I would think it's a pretty good leak if it's making it back that far . are you sure it's antifreeze and not water coming out of your A/C condensation drain ? I'm thinking it's a RHD which I guess would put that drain on the left and right above the exhaust ......

Last edited:
welcome ! he says it's on the exhaust ! I would think it's a pretty good leak if it's making it back that far . are you sure it's antifreeze and not water coming out of your A/C condensation drain ? I'm thinking it's a RHD which I guess would put that drain on the left and right above the exhaust ......

It's green, so it was my first thought of coolant. Welsh plugs look good, no wetness. Which was my first thought being on that side.

Reactions: tr21triton
Do you have a pressure tester? If not buy one and put it to use. I would clean everything really well first and get a buttload of lighting and put pressure to the system

No I don't :( we don't have places that rent tools etc as far as I know.

Here's some pics, exhaust that is where the water is leaking onto, there's also a pic of the sump where U can see the water gather then drip, the other is the top of the water pump.

IMG_20220819_113422.jpg

IMG_20220819_113422.jpg

IMG_20220819_113432.jpg

IMG_20220819_113502.jpg