TJ leans towards passenger side

derek_mcelveen

Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2019
Chattanooga, TN
First post here....I have a 2001 Wrangler, it has a 3.25" RC lift kit installed. I just recently noticed that my jeep is leaning towards the passenger side slightly, about .5-.75". I replaced both front coil springs already and the lean is still present. When I measure the spring length (installed), the driver side measures 14.5" and the passenger side measures 14". I have swapped the front shocks to see if that might be playing into the lean and nothing changed. I disconnected the sway bars, and it seemed to exaggerate the issue. I disconnected the front track bar (OEM) to see if could be pulling the passenger side down, but noticed in the process that when the previous owner had the lift kit installed that they just drilled a new bolt hole to shift the track bar over to account for the lift. Disconnecting the front track bar did not have any affect either way.

I have read numerous posts on this issue and I don't want to simply put band-aid on the issue and install a spacer on the passenger side to offset the lean. I can't think of anything else that would be causing this...any help would be appreciated. I can post pictures if needed...

Reactions: Chris

Drippy

Mar 15, 2019
VA
Bump for answers.

I too have the lean on the passenger side even after new springs was installed. I've read on the forums that the engine torsioned to the passenger side thus wearing down the spring at a faster rate than the driver side. I'm also at a lost because it happened again with new springs.

dieselvrr

TJ Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2018
Fairfax VA
The lean is normal after a while. It's caused by engine torque that ends up at the right-rear spring which causes it to start sagging with enough time. Replace the R-R spring and you're good.
@Jerry Bransford, what if the lean looks like it's in the front as well causing the entire passenger side vs just right rear? Different issue or an effect of the right rear sagging?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
derek_mcelveen

derek_mcelveen

Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2019
Chattanooga, TN
- The lift is less than 2 years old. I've probably only put 6-7k miles on the jeep since the lift was installed.

- I will have to get measurements on the rear springs when I get home, I can't remember what they were. I do remember that the rear offset to the passenger side was less than the front offset.

OP
derek_mcelveen

derek_mcelveen

Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2019
Chattanooga, TN
My R-R spring measures approx. 10-1/8" and my R-L spring measures approx. 10-3/8"....so about 1/4" different in the rear which is hardly noticeable. The front is what drives me crazy.

The second picture is the F-R spring and the third picture is the F-L spring.

Thanks again for yalls help

puGtUTedQV6cI1MAssnBrA.jpg

sAqVPDqBSbaShhCt0X4E0Q.jpg

vE7%26uhSlGurp75PCv4tQ.jpg