TJ / LJ Rear Seat Storage Needed

DAsPNW06LJ

Hello All, I posted a wanted added for these but it doenst appear those threads get much attention so I figured I try here. I read the thread asking for help identifying them but I want to buy a set.

Im looking for a set of these rear seat storage compartments. I've heard bestop discontinued them and my kids would love a place to store their trail snacks and toys.

Added bonus if you have a set for the LJ.

Screenshot_20200329-133906_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200329-133350_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200329-133338_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: JMT
Just know that the Tuffy boxes aren't really that large. I can take some measurements for you in a little while if you want.
Don't get me wrong I like them I'm just telling you that they aren't very big.

Just know that the Tuffy boxes aren't really that large. I can take some measurements for you in a little while if you want.
Don't get me wrong I like them I'm just telling you that they aren't very big.
Since they are for my kids I'm trying to stay away from the metal Tuffy boxes. I'm sure someone in the jeep world has a set of these they are willing to sell.

Wow, those would be incredibly useful! I'd be interested also if you're able to find a source. Good luck.

Reactions: erokj
I use these bags made by Overland Outfitters in my LJ. They're intended for the JK but they are easy to adapt. This is a photo of one in my LJ; the back seat was out when this photo was taken but when the seat is in the bag sits between the roll bar and the seat (and can be used for an armrest :)).

YJSaharaLJTest4_zpss2oi0dk4.jpg

The bags remove very quickly and easily because they zip to their mounts, this video shows a bag being removed from my son's JK. The bag fits about the same relative to the rear seat in my LJ:

When I read this I thought the OP was looking for a way to store his rear seat when removed from the jeep. I was looking forward to see how others were dealing with that. :)

Reactions: JMT and DropTopDon
When I read this I thought the OP was looking for a way to store his rear seat when removed from the jeep. I was looking forward to see how others were dealing with that. :)

Ive read those posts, most guys just sell them. Some use them as seating in their garage, and the rest seem to store it somewhere and forget about it until those threads pop up 😂

Reactions: inkedrose
There's a member on here who does fiberglass work. I think he's got a thread where he morphed a CJ and TJ grill. He's after the new JL/JT look for TJ grills. I'm no fiberglass expert, but maybe he can make this for you? Good luck with your search. I have to admit, these look pretty handy!

I use these bags made by Overland Outfitters in my LJ. They're intended for the JK but they are easy to adapt. This is a photo of one in my LJ; the back seat was out when this photo was taken but when the seat is in the bag sits between the roll bar and the seat (and can be used for an armrest :)).

View attachment 151658

The bags remove very quickly and easily because they zip to their mounts, this video shows a bag being removed from my son's JK. The bag fits about the same relative to the rear seat in my LJ:

Would those bags fit ok in a TJ ?

Would those bags fit ok in a TJ ?
I don't have a TJ so I haven't tried them, but here are the dimensions of the ones in my LJ so you can check to see if they'll fit in the TJ. They also sell a slightly shorter version for the JLU that's only 12" long instead of 16".

JKSaddlebagDimensions_zpsaorsocuo.jpg

JKSaddlebagDimensions_zpsj7qhicgg.jpg

Last edited:
There's a member on here who does fiberglass work. I think he's got a thread where he morphed a CJ and TJ grill. He's after the new JL/JT look for TJ grills. I'm no fiberglass expert, but maybe he can make this for you? Good luck with your search. I have to admit, these look pretty handy!
That would be me :).

Since I am very happy with the Overland Outfitters bags I posted earlier in this thread, I'm not inclined to start a project to make fiberglass storage boxes for the same location. But if I do a next TJ fiberglass project, I'm thinking about fiberglass high line fenders with inner fenders that provide clearance for big tires to make it easy to do a high line conversion.

Thanks for taking the time for the measurements !! The right side is marked 14 the left marked 12 looks like that might be backwards ? left side looks taller then the right ? - Went on the overland site, & can't find them ! How long ago did you buy them ?

Thanks for taking the time for the measurements !! The right side is marked 14 the left marked 12 looks like that might be backwards ? left side looks taller then the right ? - Went on the overland site, & can't find them ! How long ago did you buy them ?
Oops, the 14" dimension is a typo, that should be 7". I'll correct the drawing.

You should be able to get them at Quadratec: https://www.quadratec.com/p/overland-outfitters/sherpa-saddle-bag-pair-jeep-wrangler-jk

And here they are on the Overland Outfitters site: https://www.overland-outfitters.com/store/p15/SADDLE_BAG_JK/JKU_2_Door/4_Door_(Pair)_for_inner_fenders.html#/

Corrected:

JKSaddlebagDimensions_zpsaorsocuo.jpg

I'm thinking about fiberglass high line fenders with inner fenders that provide clearance for big tires to make it easy to do a high line conversion.
That would be a hot thread on this forum.

I highly doubt members here are aware of this potential project of yours. You should start a thread with your plans soon.

Are you trying to see what people will beg, borrow, and steal to get their hands on those molds?

That would be a hot thread on this forum.

I highly doubt members here are aware of this potential project of yours. You should start a thread with your plans soon.

Are you trying to see what people will beg, borrow, and steal to get their hands on those molds?
I'm considering several different ideas for my next fiberglass project. If I decide to do the high line fenders I'll start a thread.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I have a set. I decided to look online today to learn more about them and came across this post and the other one referred to in the OP. Weird how basically zero info exists on these. The few other forum posts I've seen are from YJ owners discussing their discontinued boxes over 10 years ago.

PXL_20200827_162625303.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20200827_162742946.NIGHT.jpg

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ