TJ lost power on the highway and shut down

Hopper

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Dove about 40 miles on Hwy today . On the way back it just looses power in the gas peddle. I pressed the gas and for a second it picked up then no gas. I coasted to the side and it shut off completely. No wierd gauge reading no check engine light. Replaced fuel pump recently. Sounds like it turns over but wont start. Cycled key thinking pump, checked pressure valve and gas shoots out. Switched fuel pump "fuse or relay under hood with horn relay. No go. Now I wait for tow truck. Any clues for when I get to the mechanic???

Any codes?

I believe the OP said No Check Engine Light.

No wierd gauge reading no check engine light.

You may have fuel at the schraeder valve on the fuel rail, but that does not mean the fuel pump is doing its job.
Verify fuel pressure is 49 PSI or more.
Need to find out if the reference 5V is being supplied to the CKPS, CPS, TPS, and O2 sensors. IF not... then it could be the ASD relay or total loss of the 5V for the sensors.

Reactions: Hopper
How do you know there’s not a check engine light if it won’t run?

cycle the key 3 times and leave ignition on to see if odometer displays any codes.

How do you know there’s not a check engine light if it won’t run?

cycle the key 3 times and leave ignition on to see if odometer displays any codes.
Cycled the key nothing. No lights came on when I lost power to the gas peddle and the Jeep was still running. As far as now I dont know. I can only turn the key to 1st position and all lights come on then go away.
Wish this tow would arrive so I can scan it, the suspense is killing me!!

Would that be why my radio and blinkers stop then I jiggle the key it comes back on or totally unrelated?

With your explanation of what happens; I would suggest you check the ignition switch and harness connector.
IF you do a search on the forum; you will find that problems with the ignition switch are common.

Last edited:
Would that be why my radio and blinkers stop then I jiggle the key it comes back on or totally unrelated?
Yes those are all connected through the ignition switch / coil.
It would not hurt to look at this assembly. That happened to my Sahara back years ago.
Heavy sets of key chains from my teenagers were the culprit, believe it or not :)

Edit: this problem does not trigger any codes.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp and Hopper
Cycled the key nothing. No lights came on when I lost power to the gas peddle and the Jeep was still running. As far as now I dont know. I can only turn the key to 1st position and all lights come on then go away.
Wish this tow would arrive so I can scan it, the suspense is killing me!!

99's do not have the code function so get a code reader on there.

Thanks Guys. I always am amazed at the help I get here.Finally got it dropped off at the mechanic and made it home. Didnt have a chance to discuss much with him since my Wife pulled up and he was with a customer. I will keep yall informed on the verdict.

Thanks Guys. I always am amazed at the help I get here.Finally got it dropped off at the mechanic and made it home. Didnt have a chance to discuss much with him since my Wife pulled up and he was with a customer. I will keep yall informed on the verdict.
As long as you don't talk about the new Bronco, you'll be fine here with us!

Reactions: Hopper
I hear all the guys over on the Ford forum are reading this. Not my bag, but to each their own I guess.

1596231759364.png

I would check your fuel pump install. Pinched or kinked line? Something in he tank with the fuel pump?

Here is the update. Mechanic says the new Delphi fuel pump failed and has ordered another under warranty. The only thing that surprises me is that while I was stranded 3 hrs waiting for a tow it would not start even after attempts to cycle the key. Does this sound plausible? When the old pump failed I could cycle the key and it always started.

Reactions: Steel City 06