TJ not starting

ndaddy

Again, constant issues with this car ! Woof. I had an issue a few months ago with the 3rd party cam shaft sensor and starting. Finally fixed that and now a new starting issue.

I noticed two things.
1) when I would start my car, it would make a 1 second grinding / crunching sound as the car would turn over and engine would turn on.then instantly stopped and performed fine. It was random; no (noticeable) correlation to weather, temperature, driving pattern etc. figured it may be time for a new starter but every time I would go to look for one it would stop doing it and I’d forget.

2) as of recent- the car doesn’t want to start !!! About 2 months ago, I noticed that first “crunch” but I wasn’t sure if it was my door closing or something else. So I turned off the engine and tried to start it again- nothingness. I turned the key and not even a sputter. waited ten minutes, nothing. Radio worked, lights turned off and on etc. came back two hours later- nothing still. Went back 12 hours later on a freezing night where sheets of ice covered the group- boom started right up. Haven’t had an issue since !!

two days ago, I noticed when I turned the key nothing at all happened for about three seconds, then the engine cranked up. Got home, turned off car , tried to turn it back on- nothingness. Checked the next day- nothingness. Checked today- 4 second delay of nothing and then cranked right up.

long explanation sorry. As a healthcare practitioner I always feel more is better than less!

let me know what you guys think. Scenario 1 makes me feel starter but then scenario 2 makes me question why a starter would work after not working for two days. I have a new starter coming tomorrow, figured I could return if needed. Battery (almost 3 years old)? Computer (replaced last year due to 1st/2nd gear jolt) ? Or probably more diagnostics needed

Initially I would check all the engine compartment connections, battery and starter power connections along with the grounds.
Make sure the connections are free of oxidation, the cabling is free of white/green powder and the connections are tight.

Reactions: Chris
X2 to what Charles said.

I still however want to ask, is it throwing any codes?

The crunching during turnover immediately makes me think the starter is having an issue. Also, don't discount the ignition cylinder. There is a plastic cylinder behind the key cylinder, and if that plastic cylinder is cracked, is cracking, or is expanded when it's hot outside (or inside the cabin), when you turn the key, your starter won't turn over.
I had to replace mine about 2 years ago. You could turn the key, and the key would turn, but the cylinder behind the key cylinder was broken and would not engage the starter. You need the specific security torx bits to get the thing out.

The crunching during turnover immediately makes me think the starter is having an issue. Also, don't discount the ignition cylinder. There is a plastic cylinder behind the key cylinder, and if that plastic cylinder is cracked, is cracking, or is expanded when it's hot outside (or inside the cabin), when you turn the key, your starter won't turn over.
I had to replace mine about 2 years ago. You could turn the key, and the key would turn, but the cylinder behind the key cylinder was broken and would not engage the starter. You need the specific security torx bits to get the thing out.
I thought about looking into this the first time the car wouldn’t start. That’ll be quite the project

I thought about looking into this the first time the car wouldn’t start. That’ll be quite the project
It's not as bad as it sounds, and I think the part isn't that expensive either-I don't recall the amount. If that does end up being the issue, don't forget to add a tiny bit of white lithium or similar grease.