TJ or JK

I don’t think I would put 10k into it with that many miles, I doubt you could ever get it back out. With that being said with the mileage you’re driving per year in your Jeep I would look at maybe unloading both and maybe ponying up 10-15 for a TJ with decent miles. You’re in NC, right? The other day I saw a sweet 2003 X that was super clean with 57,000 miles on it. Location was Asheville I believe. The Wrangler was listed at 12,900...not much above the 10k you’re looking to put into this one.
So to build it the way he wants he will have 22.9K into it? I would consider it cost prohibited...

Reactions: JMT
So to build it the way he wants he will have 22.9K into it? I would consider it cost prohibited...

Given a little more background in the thread, it would be JK sale price - bank note (10,500) + TJ equity. Assuming they can get 15k from the JK and only 5k from the TJ, it’s only a net “investment” of $0-$9,500 depending on the target TJ. Given that estimated budget they could get a low mile (<50,000-70,000 miles) rubicon in phenomenal shape.

I trust both to start and as far as cost to own/build it will be more for the TJ but then it will be almost completely rebuilt the way I want it.

Selling both to get another jeep with lower miles doesn't really make sense to me at this time. The JK I have will turn 71k in the next 2 days and it's almost the way I want it. Of coarse there's the auto vs man pedal thing, getting older (knee hurts sometimes and the clutch doesn't help in traffic) plus no one in the family wants to drive a stick.

Getting an LJ sounds interesting. The wrangler has no room in it but I don't like the 4dr.

Other then an LJ I'm thinking that because of the low starting cost of my TJ it's my best choice, that is if I can get a good price for my JK which is easily worth more than $15k. If I can only get $15k for it then that would answer the question.

I trust both to start and as far as cost to own/build it will be more for the TJ but then it will be almost completely rebuilt the way I want it.

Selling both to get another jeep with lower miles doesn't really make sense to me at this time. The JK I have will turn 71k in the next 2 days and it's almost the way I want it. Of coarse there's the auto vs man pedal thing, getting older (knee hurts sometimes and the clutch doesn't help in traffic) plus no one in the family wants to drive a stick.

Getting an LJ sounds interesting. The wrangler has no room in it but I don't like the 4dr.

Other then an LJ I'm thinking that because of the low starting cost of my TJ it's my best choice, that is if I can get a good price for my JK which is easily worth more than $15k. If I can only get $15k for it then that would answer the question.
How far are you from LaGrange GA? There’s a red LJR for 14.8k with 120k miles. Clean

I would think you would get at minimum 15K for the 2012..it has the right motor, miles and around here there are very few stick shifts in them so it would really appeal to the person looking for one.

Traveling to get a vehicle doesn't matter to me.

Friend at work told me to list both with prices that have "negotiating" room in them. The JK is very clean with the only surface rust on the drive shaft. This is the information for the ad I'll post on craigslist once I get a day off that it isn't raining.

This isn't an ad for here. I'm just showing what it has.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr 6 speed V6
Orange
71,000 miles
Runs and drives excellent
No accidents or damage
cold A/C
3.73 Axle Ratio
1” body lift
New Rancho 2” progressive lift with RS9000 adjustable shocks
New Rancho Steering Stabilizer
extra set of mirrors for when doors are removed
CB Radio
New Bestop soft top with tinted windows
New Deegan 38 front bumper with LED fog lights
New Amp Research Powerstep Xtreme Running Boards with 2 motors on each side
Pro Comp 17” wheels
33” Dick Cepek tires with lots of tread left
New Bedrug all-weather carpet
Spiderwebshade JK-2D

New upgraded sound system
- 10” powered sub
- Apple Carplay
- Andriod Audio
- steering wheel controls

Have a new unused Smittybilt X20 winch that hasn't been installed.

KBB has it at almost $17k without the extras.

I really like the look of this JK and the only things I have left are a rear bumper, LED lights and the passenger side visor (won't stay secured). I don't do rock crawling but I have been to Uwharrie but only on the easier trails so I think this is all the build I need. I don't think I need a Rubicon.

Post #27 agrees with you... ;)

Went out and had a little closer look underneath although it is raining here. Frame is very clean. Cast parts and the axles have surface rust. The body has a couple of small places with rust but the vast majority is very clean. It has had an oil leak for a while so that can help with rust prevention :) but I'm told that jeeps don't have leaks, they're just marking their territory!

Reactions: Squatch
On this site I read about a shifting problem with some 2005 automatics that was related to the PCM and could not be fixed. I’ll search for it when I get home tonight.

Good to hear that people have had TJs with a lot more miles then mine.

If you don't know how to fix stuff, a 235,000 mile TJ is no longer in her prime.

Last edited:

Friend at work told me to list both with prices that have "negotiating" room in them. The JK is very clean with the only surface rust on the drive shaft. This is the information for the ad I'll post on craigslist once I get a day off that it isn't raining.

Orange
71,000 miles
No accidents or damage
cold A/C
3.73 Axle Ratio
1” body lift
CB Radio
Pro Comp 17” wheels
Spiderwebshade JK-2D

- 10” powered sub
- Apple Carplay
- Andriod Audio

I really like the look of this JK and the only things I have left are a rear bumper, LED lights and the passenger side visor (won't stay secured). I don't do rock crawling but I have been to Uwharrie but only on the easier trails so I think this is all the build I need. I don't think I need a Rubicon.
Why are you selling the JK? I think I missed that part somewhere. 2012 with 71k miles is great. If it’s the color I’m thinking that’s a great color too
4277C704-038A-4907-BFB1-4F59194E229F.png
similar to that one?

He wouldn’t have 22,9k into it. It was very clean and needed nothing. Now if he wanted a lift and extras he might have a few thousand more into it but he wouldn’t have near that price. That’s just my opinion though...to each their own.

Selling the JK to get rid of the payment and while it's fun to drive I think the best long term choice would be an auto instead of a stick.

Still up in the air about what to do. I think I'll follow my friend's advice and put a high number on the 2 jeeps for craigslist and see what happens.

BTW, I love the orange and like the florescent green but prefer orange. The jeep I eventually decided to allow to drain my wallet will have to be orange.

Reactions: Jbizzle15
Selling the JK to get rid of the payment and while it's fun to drive I think the best long term choice would be an auto instead of a stick.

Still up in the air about what to do. I think I'll follow my friend's advice and put a high number on the 2 jeeps for craigslist and see what happens.

BTW, I love the orange and like the florescent green but prefer orange. The jeep I eventually decided to allow to drain my wallet will have to be orange.
What do you owe on the jk?

Orange
71,000 miles
No accidents or damage
cold A/C
3.73 Axle Ratio
1” body lift
CB Radio
Pro Comp 17” wheels
Spiderwebshade JK-2D

- 10” powered sub
- Apple Carplay
- Andriod Audio

So what price are you thinking will have 'negotiation room'?

So what price are you thinking will have 'negotiation room'?

I'm like everyone else, I want to get the most I can as well as paying the least I can for one. Trying to do some research and prices are all over the place. I really have no idea what I should start at. I'm thinking $20k is fair. My friend thought I should slap $23k on it and then come down.

Here are some pictures. Tell me what you guys think.
JK1.JPG
JK3.JPG
RB up.JPG
RB down.JPG
Tire Tread.JPG

Reactions: Artemis
The JK does look as good as it does in the pictures. The TJ has a few places the clear coat is coming off, 1 rust spot and a few chips that need touching up. Although if I changed both fenders along with painting the front grill and hood then it would look as good as the pictures.

Reactions: JMT