TJ overheats on the highway but then stops overheating when coming to a stop

teagan_tj

hey y’all so i’m on my way to a jeep trip and while on the highway my jeep over heats but we stop for almost 5 seconds and it drops back down any advice??

I'm 99% certain this is due to having air trapped in your system.

Wait until the engine is completely cool, then pop the radiator cap. See how full it is, and if it's not entirely full, top it off with coolant. Go drive and see if it happens again.

If it continues to happen, you may have to burp the system, which is very, very easy.

I'd bet it's either that, or your coolant temperature sending unit is going bad.

Reactions: Apparition
I'm 99% certain this is due to having air trapped in your system.

Wait until the engine is completely cool, then pop the radiator cap. See how full it is, and if it's not entirely full, top it off with coolant. Go drive and see if it happens again.

If it continues to happen, you may have to burp the system, which is very, very easy.

I'd bet it's either that, or your coolant temperature sending unit is going bad.
okay i will try that and report back thank you!!

What is the condition of the coolant and the system probably needs to be flushed.
I am thinking the problem is caused by a dirty radiator and also check the radiator fins for obstructions.

I also once had a weak hose that collapsed in on itself during higher engine RPMs.

Weak hose in the intake side of the waterpump could do it. Also could be a head gasket combustion leak. You can do a combustion gas test on it, they rent the stuff at most part stores.