TJ Purist

TJPurist

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hello all.
I just joined this forum ,partly for the reams of info available and out of curiosity to see if I'm the only person in North America that cleans his Jeep with a California duster instead of a heavy duty power washer !
First, a word of introduction. I've been a collector car enthusiast since about the age of ten (that would be 1958). I currently own a small fleet of vehicles, ranging in age from 1921 to 2013. I have owned several Jeeps over the years, including a 1942 MB, a 1968 CJ5, and a 1989 YJ.
I've always liked the TJ, with it's fairly close appearance to it's historical roots. In March 2020,I purchased a '99 Sahara that had spent most of it's life in British Columbia. It is totally rust free ( an almost extinct species here in southern Ontario) and has never been modified in any way. I plan on preserving it that way,
Are there any other Jeep owners out there that plan on keeping at least a few originals for historical purposes ?
Jim

IMG_1846 (2).JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

Last edited:
Hi welcome to the forum. My goal when I got this jeep was to make everything work and look like its supposed to from factory. in 2016 she got flooded up over the center console from a hurricane and it's been a long process getting it back to the way it was. In my opinion, I think you have one of the best looking model jeeps ever made being a green sahara. It would look real nice with the Spice Hardtop as well.

Reactions: Irun and Squatch
Hi welcome to the forum. My goal when I got this jeep was to make everything work and look like its supposed to from factory. in 2016 she got flooded up over the center console from a hurricane and it's been a long process getting it back to the way it was. In my opinion, I think you have one of the best looking model jeeps ever made being a green sahara. It would look real nice with the Spice Hardtop as well.
I had the hardtop for my YJ and all it ever did was collect dust in my shop. This is strictly a summer toy, and although I do install the curtains in the fall, it appears as shown most of the time.Thanks for the compliments.

Very nice, I have been know to use the CA duster on mine in between polishing. Would love to see some of the pics of your other cars?
I'm not sure if non-Jeep pictures are appreciated on this forum, but I guess the worst I can get is a reprimand from the forum moderators. Attached are photos of my '21 Chevy pickup, 1940 Packard, and 1925 Buick coupe. One of the three pictures include the TJ so as not to ruffle feathers ! Also have a '78 GMC Caballero (bought new) and a '72 Chevy C20 pickup.

1921 Chevrolet and '99 Jeep 2021-05-17.JPG

1940 Packard sporting new boards 001.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

I'm not sure if non-Jeep pictures are appreciated on this forum, but I guess the worst I can get is a reprimand from the forum moderators. Attached are photos of my '21 Chevy pickup, 1940 Packard, and 1925 Buick coupe. One of the three pictures include the TJ so as not to ruffle feathers ! Also have a '78 GMC Caballero (bought new) and a '72 Chevy C20 pickup.

View attachment 254776

View attachment 254777

View attachment 254778
My eyes immediately settled on that Packard. What a grand ol' dame. Absolutely love it!

Seeing that Buick reminded me of the time when I found an owner's manual for a 1916 Buick D-46 in a box of books at a thrift store. I bought it, and then contacted the national Buick car club. They put me in touch with someone in California who owned a
D-46, and I sent him the owner's manual. I did the same thing when I came across an owner's manual for a 1922 Chandler. Their club secretary in New York said that the club's historian owned one, and that he lived in Seattle, Washington. As it turned out, I passed his house on a daily basis on my way to and from work. I dropped by his place, and presented it as a Christmas gift to him. He showed me his '22 Chandler, which happened to be the very first car he had ever purchased. Very cool!

The quality of your vehicles far excels anything I would ever hope to own. Beautiful rides, my friend. Thank you so much for sharing them! Wouldn't mind seeing pics of the Caballero, as well. Lots of El Caminos out there, but you don't see many of the GMC flavor around, anymore.

Reactions: JMT and Vasq
Great pics! And great Sahara.

I have a 97 SE, and I have kept it fairly original. My modifications are minor, and I usually keep any original parts I replace. So while I won't be able to compete with you in terms of preservation, I like the idea of having a "purist" thread in the forum. Maybe you could help us start a thread in the Resources section, about sourcing original parts, or best practices in preserving TJs, etc.

My eyes immediately settled on that Packard. What a grand ol' dame. Absolutely love it!

Seeing that Buick reminded me of the time when I found an owner's manual for a 1916 Buick D-46 in a box of books at a thrift store. I bought it, and then contacted the national Buick car club. They put me in touch with someone in California who owned a
D-46, and I sent him the owner's manual. I did the same thing when I came across an owner's manual for a 1922 Chandler. Their club secretary in New York said that the club's historian owned one, and that he lived in Seattle, Washington. As it turned out, I passed his house on a daily basis on my way to and from work. I dropped by his place, and presented it as a Christmas gift to him. He showed me his '22 Chandler, which happened to be the very first car he had ever purchased. Very cool!

The quality of your vehicles far excels anything I would ever hope to own. Beautiful rides, my friend. Thank you so much for sharing them! Wouldn't mind seeing pics of the Caballero, as well. Lots of El Caminos out there, but you don't see many of the GMC flavor around, anymore.
Glad you enjoyed the pics. The Packard is a 110 Business coupe with 45000 original miles. It had an amateur repaint many years ago but is otherwise original.
Here are photos of the '78 GMC Caballero and the '72 Chevy C20. Only about 10% of the El Camino production were badged as GMCs.
I use the '72 to tow my car trailer as well as show it.
Jim

1978 GMC Caballero 40 years later 002.JPG

1972 Chevy pickup ready to show 001.JPG

Great pics! And great Sahara.

I have a 97 SE, and I have kept it fairly original. My modifications are minor, and I usually keep any original parts I replace. So while I won't be able to compete with you in terms of preservation, I like the idea of having a "purist" thread in the forum. Maybe you could help us start a thread in the Resources section, about sourcing original parts, or best practices in preserving TJs, etc.
I was hoping someone had already started such a thread, but I might be interested in helping out. Living north of the 49th parallel makes acquiring parts stateside somewhat expensive ,what with shipping, customs, and our 82 cent dollar. Pretty much all of my parts sources are therefore Canadian.
My experience as a parts man was limited to GM dealers, but looking up and sourcing parts is something I still do. (My family don't accept that I retired nearly 8 years ago)!

Reactions: Squatch and BonesXX
p.s. I wonder if those are stock fog lights? I don't think I've seen stock fogs with the 'brush' guard on them. But I could easily be wrong.

p.s. I wonder if those are stock fog lights? I don't think I've seen stock fogs with the 'brush' guard on them. But I could easily be wrong.
I haven't researched these yet, but I think that they are aftermarket. This Jeep spent quite some time being towed behind a motor home between BC and Arizona. The originals likely were badly beaten up by stones.
I'll watch for a nice original set.

I haven't researched these yet, but I think that they are aftermarket. This Jeep spent quite some time being towed behind a motor home between BC and Arizona. The originals likely were badly beaten up by stones.
I'll watch for a nice original set.

Nice. You might enjoy subscribing to the "Parts for Sale" thread on this forum. Stuff like that comes up from time to time.

Nice. You might enjoy subscribing to the "Parts for Sale" thread on this forum. Stuff like that comes up from time to time.
Thanks for that, however there are several guys around here that wreck nothing but TJs and have tons of parts , and for Canadian dollars !