TJ radiator cross reference

What other types of engine blocks are there? Unless you meant cast iron? The problem with the internet is there are diamonds of truth in mountains of sand. It is pretty critical on the Ford diesel to keep the coolant up to snuff or you will start eroding something bad. Not sure if it is the radiator, the block or some other important bit and given my distaste for anything Ford, I suspect I don't recall because my brain is trying to purge anything related to Ford except not to buy one.

As long as your radiator does what it is supposed, it really doesn't matter.

Yes, cast iron. Sometimes my brain knows what I’m talking about and I forget to let everyone else know

Anyone know where I can find a 55037652AA? Amazon and rockauto are out of stock, other websites say discontinued. Mine has a crack along the top seam that I temporarily sealed but I imagine it’s a bad idea to ignore for long. I’m going to be driving out of state in a few weeks so I want to do it soon.

Or should I try a part store one? I saw some people saying they had good results

Anyone know where I can find a 55037652AA? Amazon and rockauto are out of stock, other websites say discontinued. Mine has a crack along the top seam that I temporarily sealed but I imagine it’s a bad idea to ignore for long. I’m going to be driving out of state in a few weeks so I want to do it soon.

Or should I try a part store one? I saw some people saying they had good results

I don't have any suggestions on where to look, but I would suggest including the 55037653 in your search. It's for the auto trans, but it's identical to the 7652 except having the transmission cooler built into the lower tank. You can just plug/cap off the trans cooler connections and it will work just fine on your manual transmission, or you can repurpose it for something else you want to keep at about 160°F.

Reactions: Cheetokps
I don't have any suggestions on where to look, but I would suggest including the 55037653 in your search. It's for the auto trans, but it's identical to the 7652 except having the transmission cooler built into the lower tank. You can just plug/cap off the trans cooler connections and it will work just fine on your manual transmission, or you can repurpose it for something else you want to keep at about 160°F.
Thanks, I do see some of those for about $400. That’s probably my best bet I would think

I’ll replace the cheaper stuff while I’m in there, but is it a bad idea to skip the water pump? It’s a bit pricey, and i haven’t had any cooling problems other than this crack

Thanks, I do see some of those for about $400. That’s probably my best bet I would think

I’ll replace the cheaper stuff while I’m in there, but is it a bad idea to skip the water pump? It’s a bit pricey, and i haven’t had any cooling problems other than this crack

If yours is still Mopar I'd just leave it alone. Their typical failure mode is leaking coolant through the shaft seal and into the bearings, where it comes out the weephole. If it's not doing that then it's likely just fine, except for extreme cases where it was run dry and cavitated or something silly like that.

Reactions: Cheetokps

I think the best OEM style your gonna find is the Denso available on Amazon, had one in my hands and they are a step above any box store crap.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCO5XL5/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: JasterMereel42

I just had a 55037653AB delivered from http://wermopar.com was a week from order to delivery, got it installed with no issues. $387 + shipping was the best I found.

IMG_2694.jpeg

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I just had a 55037653AB delivered from http://wermopar.com was a week from order to delivery, got it installed with no issues. $387 + shipping was the best I found.

View attachment 446274

anybody considering an aftermarket radiator would be smart to count the tubes in this photo (there's 55, saved you the trouble) and look for something that at least comes close. By my count the Denso only has 46 (the outermost don't count, they're flat bars or dead tubes that don't tie into the tanks and only exist to support the fins going to the outermost real tube). Denso claims to have improved fin design but it's pretty hard if not impossible to overcome that big of a deficit in tube surface so I'm unconvinced.

Reactions: red02tj
anybody considering an aftermarket radiator would be smart to count the tubes in this photo (there's 55, saved you the trouble) and look for something that at least comes close. By my count the Denso only has 46 (the outermost don't count, they're flat bars or dead tubes that don't tie into the tanks and only exist to support the fins going to the outermost real tube). Denso claims to have improved fin design but it's pretty hard if not impossible to overcome that big of a deficit in tube surface so I'm unconvinced.
I live in CT where it doesn't get super hot often, does this really matter that much? Or is it more a concern for the Arizona/etc people

I live in CT where it doesn't get super hot often, does this really matter that much? Or is it more a concern for the Arizona/etc people

I haven't spent a lot of time in CT but if I were to pick a threshold, I would base it on the unidentified aftermarket radiator I had that would run hot at highway speeds above 90F, with a winch. Not having a winch might buy another 5.

Another data point. The wermopar site says that radiator 55037652AA replaces 52080180AE, 52080180AF, 52080183AF, 52080183AG, 55037657AA, but does not fit my 2000 manual. However, I am running one, with perfect fit and function.

Reactions: red02tj
Another data point. The wermopar site says that radiator 55037652AA replaces 52080180AE, 52080180AF, 52080183AF, 52080183AG, 55037657AA, but does not fit my 2000 manual. However, I am running one, with perfect fit and function.

Yup. Based on “book fit” VS reality.

I bought a denso radiator 7/5/23 along with fan clutch, hoses, cap, thermostat, and flush. After a month in Arkansas heat, denso not adequate for my needs. Temp gauge rose my threshold. Tj needs those 9 additional tubes. No surprise for many of you. Hopefully mopar 55037653ac will fit into 1997 4L, will know soon enough.

After flushing my cooling system and determining without a doubt that my radiator is pretty much rusted solid on the inside, I am now looking at a new radiator.

anybody considering an aftermarket radiator would be smart to count the tubes in this photo (there's 55, saved you the trouble) and look for something that at least comes close.
The fin count (number of fins per inch) is critical in addition to the number of tubes.

FYI, I installed a Murray radiator from the local auto parts store several years ago and it cools well in our 115+ summer temperatures, whether rock crawling, daily driving in rush hour stop and go traffic, or high speed highway driving, all with the AC on. No issues at all over the past many years.

The fin count (number of fins per inch) is critical in addition to the number of tubes.

FYI, I installed a Murray radiator from the local auto parts store several years ago and it cools well in our 115+ summer temperatures, whether rock crawling, daily driving in rush hour stop and go traffic, or high speed highway driving, all with the AC on. No issues at all over the past many years.

I'll be putting that Murray radiator in my TJ on Saturday.