TJ rear brakes

junknstuf

I just replaced my rear brake shoes, new hardware, new wheel cylinders, new auto adjuster hardware, new drums, new rubber brake hose, new metal brake lines, in short complete brake job. that should have been a wrap, huh? But as murphys law says!!! The brakes got HOT!! I pulled drums, looked at everything and it seemed correct. as I thought about he new parts, I remembered that all the parts were from auto zone except the shoes that came from an online purchase. I then replaced them with auto zone shoes and problem solved. the only difference I could see was the length and location of lining on shoes. just thought I would share this with all of the members. I love my JEEP !!!

The length/location of the brake surface is different for the front and rear shoes. Is it possible you installed them backwards the first time? The rear shoe does have a bit more thickness than the front. The brand of shoes should make absolutely no difference unless you just got defective ones somehow.

Also, installing the self adjuster cable incorrectly can cause them to drag which results in super hot brakes.

Look at the bright side because you used Auto Zone parts You'll be doing it again soon. So you should get R done in half the time.

Reactions: Blondie70
Suggest you completely flush out the entire brake system also. TJs seem to gunk up the fluid more than most. I had 3 calipers lock up after a complete 4 corner brake job. The 💩 in the fluid bound them up. In less than 30 miles. The 4th was dragging and I suspect would have locked up soon if the others hadn't already.

yes, they were assembled correctly. I did a flush and cleaned out the master cyl. res. You know, I hear people complain about a/z parts, but I have been using them since they have been here and seldom have a problem. I can't tell you what the difference was other than the linings were longer on the shoes from a/z shoes. I have done hundreds of brake jobs and never had this problem before. just goes to show when you least expect it....it will happen.