TJ rear shock removal

Jeep engineers were smart enough to know that mounting shocks thru the frame rails was not a good idea.

They were smart enough to develop a solution to save 20 cents per vehicles and make everyone's life miserable so we buy new faster...

Reactions: Zorba
They were smart enough to develop a solution to save 20 cents per vehicles and make everyone's life miserable so we buy new faster...
The Jeep engineers from the 1990's are really playing the long game on forcing you to buy new almost 20 years later.

Last edited:
Jeep engineers were smart enough to know that mounting shocks thru the frame rails was not a good idea.
That's not how it works. An engineer goes to school to learn to design things that improve society, Then corporations get them and make them design everything cheaper. Drilling holes in a frame are not an issue. Looks at any flat bed, box truck, or pickup. I would NOT do exactly what he did in the video, The point about using nuts as spacers is ridiculous. But what I have planned will be fine.

Reactions: Zorba
That's not how it works. An engineer goes to school to learn to design things that improve society, Then corporations get them and make them design everything cheaper. Drilling holes in a frame are not an issue. Looks at any flat bed, box truck, or pickup. I would NOT do exactly what he did in the video, The point about using nuts as spacers is ridiculous. But what I have planned will be fine.
As @jjvw stated, you're the engineer;)

Are you going to, at the very least, maintain the existing shock travel rather than reduce it?

I hate threads like this...I'm an engineer too. Threads like this give engineers a bad name.
1653510704171.png

What we do is find our own way... I see you did something outside the norm... Glad your design worked out for you.

Just to show how little understanding there is surrounding how shocks work, I found this bit of idiocy in the YouTube comments section.
Screenshot_20220525-142551_YouTube.jpg

As the engineer, please tell us why this is a good idea. Other than being an easy way around the real fix.
Easy makes it a good idea... Also, two things... I am not crazy about the spring being mounted to the frame, and the shock being mounted to the body. I know it works, but just not how I would have designed it. Also, my design will out-last the jeep so it's acceptable to me.

Easy makes it a good idea... Also, two things... I am not crazy about the spring being mounted to the frame, and the shock being mounted to the body. I know it works, but just not how I would have designed it. Also, my design will out-last the jeep so it's acceptable to me.
Where, exactly, is the shock mounted to the body?

The shocks are not mounted to the body. That would be a dumb idea.

I don't understand why the guy in the video would use a stainless steel bolt that is ungraded for such an important part of the vehicle. Not having the bolt on hand is a dumb excuse.

"Several viewers have commented on this video and stated stainless is not the best option. Most do-it-yourselfers and mechanics already know grade 8 is stronger. I would have prefered grade 8 but did not have the available bolt when I performed this fix. However, I would note that since jeeps are very light, and mine has been off road quite a bit, I have seen no deterioration in the stainless bolt. And, even if the bolt bent or broke, I would just change it. It’s a shock absorber, not a steering link or traction bar we are connecting here. Sheeeewww."

Yea I'll just change the bolt when it breaks on a trail 500 miles from home. How about that situation, would you have the bolt available then if you couldn't even be bothered to have it on hand before performing suspension work in the comfort of your garage/driveway?

I don't understand why the guy in the video would use a stainless steel bolt that is ungraded for such an important part of the vehicle. Not having the bolt on hand is a dumb excuse.

"Several viewers have commented on this video and stated stainless is not the best option. Most do-it-yourselfers and mechanics already know grade 8 is stronger. I would have prefered grade 8 but did not have the available bolt when I performed this fix. However, I would note that since jeeps are very light, and mine has been off road quite a bit, I have seen no deterioration in the stainless bolt. And, even if the bolt bent or broke, I would just change it. It’s a shock absorber, not a steering link or traction bar we are connecting here. Sheeeewww."

Yea I'll just change the bolt when it breaks on a trail 500 miles from home. How about that situation, would you have the bolt available then if you couldn't even be bothered to have it on hand before performing suspension work in the comfort of your garage/driveway?
Here's the thing about the choice of bolts in this application. It doesn't matter as much as it does in other instances because the impact of full shock compression is, more often than not, a slow speed event. Sleeving the frame is far more important so that the bolt can be tightened and the shock bushing sleeve is kept from moving around with the loose bolt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
Reactions: PCO6