TJ rear storage solution

Since I got my Jeep I had been trying to find a way to store everything I need and want to take on trips. I got it tuned in pretty good now so I thought I would share. (Yes I have a lot of colorful carabiners) also don’t mind my exposed hardtop wires. Trying to work on my rear defrost after wiring my Jeep for a hardtop

View attachment 249091

View attachment 249092

View attachment 249093
Hang on — did you make all that or is it some kind of kit?

For those who are considering the Tuffy rear underseat drawer just know it is shallow and only allows so much storage.

20211015_114449.jpg

I have my amp and welding cables for my onboard welder stored in it.

At only 3" of depth there is only so much you can put in it.

20211015_114557.jpg

I lucked out and bought mine used so it wasn't such a shock to my wallet.

For those who are considering the Tuffy rear underseat drawer just know it is shallow and only allows so much storage.

View attachment 283868

I have my amp and welding cables for my onboard welder stored in it.

At only 3" of depth there is only so much you can put in it.

View attachment 283869

I lucked out and bought mine used so it wasn't such a shock to my wallet.
I was looking at that one originally, but decided to completely remove the rear seat and go with the midsize one that is 7” deep (#058). The only thing that bothers me is that it weighs 80 lbs. I’m trying to be weight conscious, but it’s a compromise I’m willing to make for secure, organized storage, especially considering my soft top and going topless often.

Reactions: Wildman
I was looking at that one originally, but decided to completely remove the rear seat and go with the midsize one that is 7” deep (#058). The only thing that bothers me is that it weighs 80 lbs. I’m trying to be weight conscious, but it’s a compromise I’m willing to make for secure, organized storage, especially considering my soft top and going topless often.
Tob, the one you have is currently on sale at Quadratec for $629 and free shipping. I am thinking of buying one. Are you happy with yours?

Tob, the one you have is currently on sale at Quadratec for $629 and free shipping. I am thinking of buying one. Are you happy with yours?
Well, I wish I could say I am enjoying it. However, I had an odd issue Tuffy had not encountered before, where the slides would not separate, so I wasn't able to even install it. After talking with Tuffy, I ended up sending it back.

From what I could tell, it was a well-made product. I had planned to exchange it for another since mine was apparently defective, but after having it in my hands and realizing just how heavy 80+ lbs was, I had second thoughts. Now I am not sure. I considered getting the Deck enclosure instead, which is 20 lbs lighter and a bit less expensive, but I don't want to give up seat reclining. I'm still deciding. If weight is not a huge concern for you, then I would definitely recommend it.

Reactions: Matt1964
Didn't feel like starting a thread.....

I'd like to use the floor mounted seat brackets as points to secure a rear storage system of some kind. Any thoughts?

I have the drawer under my back seat. Not sure what brand it is as the PO installed it. It also had the shelf that goes behind the rear seat but I pulled that out. I'll try to take a couple pics later. It does raise the rear seat quite a bit.
Curious if you can still provide some pics

Reactions: MikekiM
I've since sold the TJ but this is a pretty good picture. I used long L brackets on each side to attach this to the floor after seat brackets were removed. Once the tailgate is locked you need a saw to get into it, harder to steal something from than most vehicles.

IMG_4655.jpeg

Reactions: matkal
yeah figured as much. Probably just get a TMR basket since they are local and it will be much cheaper but they aren't very big

Every time I see posts about a storage platform it resurrects the want to build a removable or unobtrusive sleeping platform in mine. My seats fold all the way flat… so I feel like by using a few HD slides and a hinge I could work out a way to slide it out the back, fold down the seats, fold the front part out towards the front and slide it back forward into the cab. IDK..

I’d love to see if anyone has came up with something like this, or sleeping at all in the tj.