TJ rides like a turd

Daddy

Hello,

I have a 99 Auto TJ that I have had about a year now. I redid the suspension with Ranchos, RC springs, new steering components (XJ upgrades), control arms (just stock ones), made sure tires are aired down to around 26 on 33s but I have also played around with different pressures but my TJ still rides super violent and harsh. Small little bumps in the road are felt throughout, potholes are incredibly uncomfortable and it just isnt enjoyable to drive any more.

Any ideas?

That's the right model of shock (if they're the right length). Sounds like you're doing everything right.

Shocks are responsible for about 95% of the ride. And they're the one component you can actually test. You can remove them and take a test drive — it will be very un-damped and feel weird and "boingy". But if the harshness is gone, the shocks are the problem. Or if the harshness seems to be mainly coming from one axle, just remove those shocks for the test.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
A far off guess, but could it be that you’re riding on your bumpstops? What’s your shock uptravel looking like?

The Rancho RS5000x has a well deserved reputation for a great ride, my TJ was on them too and I loved how they rode. Something else is wrong to cause your stiff ride... perhaps the shocks are too long and are bottoming out, rear shock relocators were installed that shorten the mounting space available, or the bump stops are too tall. You sure you're not riding on the older Rancho RS5000? That shock is notorious for a stiff ride.

Couple pictures would be very helpful. But in all honesty have never ridden a turd.

It stinks. A crappy experience. 😆

We need tire load range info- some D range are unbearable.

Also, if you have excessive control arm play and bad steering or poor steering geometry, this can get interpreted as a bad ride-

A TJ is made to ride and drive well once you dial it in- it was fine new, but I’d nearly bet yours has mods-

Not picking on you- just know we have been there and can help.

Did you make sure that the control arm and track bar bolts were not tightened until the Jeep was on the ground and under its own weight?

Reactions: JMT and Brianj5600
The 5000x is a mushy riding shock so that alone is unlikely the problem. We need pics of the exposed shock shaft as installed and as the Jeep sits parked normally. We also need pics of the bump stops.