Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon Factory Locker Bypass (use your lockers in 4 Hi)

Is there a way they can be wired such that one has to activate a third switch in order to use the front and rear switches so that a normal rocker switch can be used instead of the pilot switches you used?
Why would you think that's needed or even a good idea? You can't trust yourself to learn how to operate your own lockers? Only Rubicon owners have to put up with the absurd locker programing restrictions the lawyers insisted on.

Reactions: billiebob
Is there a way they can be wired such that one has to activate a third switch in order to use the front and rear switches so that a normal rocker switch can be used instead of the pilot switches you used?
If you know how to wire up one switch, then you know how to wire up a dozen switches (for extra safety).

If you don't like how I set up my locker switches by all means feel free to go in a different direction.

That didn't answer the question of why you used those switches. I thought the reason the author of the guide suggested them was because he was afraid of inadvertently activating them. Since you used the same switches I figured you shared that thought.

So, why did you use the pilot switches with the safety cover?

Here...
20190509_160526.jpg

Been that way for over a year of daily driving. I have yet to accidently activate my lockers on the way to McDonald's.

Reactions: Captain Phoenix
So, why did you use the pilot switches with the safety cover?

My guess would be for peace of mind. I've done two of these myself, one with the safety cover and one without. I prefer the safety cover version, but it's not necessary.

sPbKhxo.jpg

IsGUi6e.jpg

I've also moved the pumps up under the hood, but do wonder about the heat!
xmTKXo2.jpg

hXeoW3G.jpg

Did you do yours the same way Jerry did? So your lockers flash?

My separate switches go through the factory wiring. Sometimes the lights flash, sometimes they go solid. They have always been temperamental even before the mod.

Do ask me how I figured it out. One day I day down with the wiring diagram and got it to work.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
My separate switches go through the factory wiring. Sometimes the lights flash, sometimes they go solid. They have always been temperamental even before the mod.

Do ask me how I figured it out. One day I day down with the wiring diagram and got it to work.
Between that and your blinkers it sounds like you’ve got some gremlins - thanks.

Make it simple and pretend there's no wiring or switch for your lockers at all. Install your own switches and wiring, it's as easy as wiring two switches like you're controlling two 12v light bulbs but they're compressors instead. No need for relays at all, those little compressors don't draw enough current for that. They also shut themselves off automatically when there's the required 5 psi of pressure in the system.

I installed these two switches for my Rubicon locker compressors, they are 100% independent of each other so you can turn them on in any order you want. Each switch/compressor is fused with a 5 amp fuse.

View attachment 151286
@Jerry Bransford I just swapped in a Rubicon Dana 44 into my TJ and would like to wire mine like yours. I have the pump located on the ABS tray and the wire run to a similar switch. The pump is now operational. For the locker engagement sensor, there is only 2 wires on the connector that I ran up to the front. If I wanted to use this small LED indicator light, how would I power it with just the two wires off the sensor?
EF%EPcGvSo+yUVyX4jAAMA.jpg

Independent control of the Front and Rear Lockers is accomplished by adding 2 Single Pole, Single Throw (SPST) switches, some jumper wires, and connectors to the existing Axle Lock Switch and/or wiring located in the center console.
What gauge wire should be used for the jumper wires?

I am looking at doing this mod also, since I was out on the trail recently and a Rubicon not with us had broken something in his rear end I really don't remember what he broke. So he had to finish the trail with front wheel drive only, when someone asked him to lock his front end to help get home over obstacles he said he was unable to lock the front w/o first having to lock in the rear which he could not do. And that got me thinking this is another reason I need to finally get around to doing this mod.

Reactions: Tob and DrDmoney
I am looking at doing this mod also, since I was out on the trail recently and a Rubicon not with us had broken something in his rear end I really don't remember what he broke. So he had to finish the trail with front wheel drive only, when someone asked him to lock his front end to help get home over obstacles he said he was unable to lock the front w/o first having to lock in the rear which he could not do. And that got me thinking this is another reason I need to finally get around to doing this mod.

The bypass mods would not have changed that. However, if he broke the rear locker, he could have still had it turned on to allow him to lock the front. If for some odd reason that wasn't possible, he could have pulled the rear air hose and even swapped front to rear air hoses. I did similarly when I broke my first rear factory locker.

I did it recently. I added two switches, each one grounds either pin 6 or pin 7 on the factory locker switch harness. I did not cut any wires, I just tapped into them. The factory locker switch still works and I will keep it in. I remember reading @Jerry Bransford say he was out and one of his defeat switches imploded and he could not get that locker working the rest of the day (of course he could have re-wired or plumbed but the point is the aftermarket switch broke and he could not lock his axle so I kept my factory switch also). The locker lights with the switches work as with the factory switch, flash until locked then steady.

IMG_5745.jpeg

Reactions: Tob