TJ rust evaluation

Jcboswell87

New to the forum, I've never owned a Jeep before so was hoping you guys could give me some insight. I'm looking at a 1993 TJ right now, 150k miles, runs and drives great, body is solid. Has some rust on the frame though. Asking price is $2800 but I'm pretty sure I could talk them down to $2000. Worth it?

63bebd0865144dcf9eff7d76c93d9268.jpg

Looks a lot like one of mine. Not impossible, but work.

New to the forum, I've never owned a Jeep before so was hoping you guys could give me some insight. I'm looking at a 1993 TJ right now, 150k miles, runs and drives great, body is solid. Has some rust on the frame though. Asking price is $2800 but I'm pretty sure I could talk them down to $2000. Worth it?

View attachment 351801

A 1993 TJ would be a vary rare find indeed, ha.

Thank you for the reply. I have a 2014 Tundra which is my every day driver, really wanted a Jeep but budget Is only 4k-5k. Heard 93's are really great plus you can find them in my price range. I could definitely park it immediately after purchase, what all would need to be done? Never had a rust issue before.

Thank you for the reply. I have a 2014 Tundra which is my every day driver, really wanted a Jeep but budget Is only 4k-5k. Heard 93's are really great plus you can find them in my price range. I could definitely park it immediately after purchase, what all would need to be done? Never
A 1993 TJ would be a vary rare find indeed, ha.

Oh. Are 93's not worth it? I had been told by a few jeep owners that 93 was a good year. Last year of the "islander" models? I don't know alot about Jeeps lol

View attachment 351801

That is a YJ. Leaf springs. Just so you know…

TJs are 1997-2006, round headlights and coil springs…

Reactions: Apparition and JMT
Damn, should have been proof reading. This phones screen is slightly cracked which has caused alot of typos, have another on the way. Meant YJ. Didn't even see I put that in the post. That's embarrassing lol

Thank you for the reply. I have a 2014 Tundra which is my every day driver, really wanted a Jeep but budget Is only 4k-5k. Heard 93's are really great plus you can find them in my price range. I could definitely park it immediately after purchase, what all would need to be done? Never had a rust issue before.

Break the project into parts. 1) tub, 2) frame, 3) suspension. Descale everything at each stage, de-grease, rust converter, topcoat, clear coat actually helps a lot. Don’t cut corners. Get all the scale off. Prep is everything.

Inside the frame will be a PITA. A day for sure. You have to get all the loose rust off. We are using a tool on the end of a drill to bear it all up. It’s 24” long. Eastwoods Rust Converter. Top coat. Suspension last. Done. Lovely. Great project. Lot of work.

Reactions: BlueC
We need pics of different areas to make any real determination. If a yj frame is going to be rusty it's above the transmission skid plate or at the very end of the frame. You really need to look inside the frame as well.

Reactions: SSTJ
buddy that thing will ride rough ! make sure your dental insurance is paid up if you plan on off roading that thing ! the coil springs make the TJ a much better riding vehicle ! I'd wait and find a TJ if I were you !

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
buddy that thing will ride rough ! make sure your dental insurance is paid up if you plan on off roading that thing ! the coil springs make the TJ a much better riding vehicle ! I'd wait and find a TJ if I were you !

Even rougher riding if you had ordered the offroad HD suspension on it... My dad did that, totally custom ordered 1990. Had HD suspension, Hardtop, carburetor, 31's... I learned to drive standard in that Jeep... parents would not let me start in first or second... had to learn to feather the clutch and gas in 3rd to get moving.

my brother just got rid of his YJ and bought a TJR . man we wouldn't even take that YJ off road, always took my TJ . to the OP take both for a drive you'll think the TJ rides like a caddy compared to the YJ !