TJ SE, mistake or bonus

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
A side trip in another thread prompted this discission.

Is the TJ SE a mistake or is it a bonus?

I have a nice SE, that does everything I'd hoped and more. Small, light and very capable on the trails I run. I also have a 3/4 ton Suburban with a 454 and all the factory goodies for offroad work. The two compliment each other nicely.

But, is the SE an EPA kludge, or does it actually have a place in the offroad world?

It has a place off-road, no doubt (just like the 4 cylinder Toyotas that are so popular).

It just doesn't have a place on long distance highway trips or sizable hills :D (only speaking from my personal experience having driven one).

Reactions: StG58
Everyone I know that has a 4 banger TJ loves it off-road, hates it on. The only TJ I've driven is my Rubi, so I can't personally say anything about them.

Reactions: Chris
Yep, that's really the only downfall of the 2.5... highway speeds. Re-gearing will help no-doubt.

I have a 2.4l se tj love it. It may not pull hills well on highway but it is a beast on the trail. I have the factory 3.73 gears on 33s and a 3 inch lift. Its the little jeep that could.

Reactions: Txbigun
Yeah trying to convince the wife to let me regarding to 4.88s. But it's probably not gonna happen for a while since I have a year till I'm out the military.

From what ive heard and read regearing to 4.88 you would loose alot more highway speed and gas milage. 4.10 would be less of a impact im sticking with my 3.73. If it not broke don't fix it lol

IMG_20160825_143841.jpg

From what ive heard and read regearing to 4.88 you would loose alot more highway speed and gas milage. 4.10 would be less of a impact im sticking with my 3.73. If it not broke don't fix it lol
My bet is you have the 4.0 engine which requires different gear ratios than the 2.5L engine does which Tristan and the OP both have. For the 2.5L with 5-speed and 33" tires, 4.88 is the appropriate ratio which restores the engine power to what it was when it shipped from the factory with its factory size tires.

No i have the 2.4l six speed manual.
Your newer 2.4L engine has more HP & torque than the older 2.5 does, plus your 6-speed transmission has significantly lower gear ratios which raise the engine RPMs higher than the 5-speed AX-5 produces . Your newer SE would not require as low of an axle ratio (4.88 is a lower ration than 4.10 or 4.56 is) as the 2.5 engine with the 5-speed does.

Reactions: StG58 and derekmac
I have the 2.5 manual with 4.10's and 31" tires. I have no complaints. I had the 2.5 with automatic before that and ran 33's with it. I was at 3k rpms on the highway all the time. Still worked out good.

It does seem to lack speed/power on the highway with the top n doors off.

Love mine offroad. It's the 2.5 with the AX5 and currently 4.10/4.11 gears. Does acceptably well on blacktop, and OK on the super-slab but you have to watch your weight and drive it like you hate it going up long grades.

Offroad, it's like backpacking. Keep repeating to yourself "weight, weight, weight". Cut the crusts off your sandwich and the handle off your toothbrush. Keep it short, narrow and light and the little SE goes just about anywhere but hard core rocks and gumbo mud.

I like the fact the there is just less of everything in the SE. 4 quarts of oil and a filter for an oil change. 4 plugs and 4 short wires for a tune up. Lots of room under the hood to work on things. No bells and whistles to break at inopportune moments. It's got more power and torque than a CJ2A. You do have to learn to love life at 65 though.

Last edited:
My little 2.5 5 speed is terrible on the Interstate, especially here in ND where the speed limit is 80 mph (!). However, tucking yourself in behind a camper or semi works wonders. You don't even have to get that close, maybe 5 car lengths or so. The other day I even tucked in behind a Mazda 3 that was doing 70 and had no problems keeping up. 80 is definitely pushing though...especially with the top off. I wouldn't even consider it with the doors off.

Yikes! I've never seen 80 in mine. 65 -70 is the upper limit of my comfort level. TJ's aren't really Grand Touring cars though.

I've done 80 once....downhill.

They upped the limit to 70 here and I have to use that turnpike to get to work everyday. Everyone goes 80. I am not a fan of driving fast so I stick to 55 mph and just cruise. I get 18 mpg and I don't have to worry about passing anyone. In fact I've passed maybe 5-6 people on that road all year.

Hi guys,
I've been trying to research which gears would be best for my TJ, got my head spinning and after much reading, still not sure which gears would be best.
I have a;
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L
Automatic Trans
Front - Dana 30 (3.73)
Rear - Dana 44 (3.73)
4" lift
33" tires
Looking for gears that will give me a good ride at highway speeds without having to always have to turn off the O/D, not much rock crawling where I live, just dirt, mud and sand, still tons of fun.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi guys,
I've been trying to research which gears would be best for my TJ, got my head spinning and after much reading, still not sure which gears would be best.
I have a;
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L
Automatic Trans
Front - Dana 30 (3.73)
Rear - Dana 44 (3.73)
4" lift
33" tires
Looking for gears that will give me a good ride at highway speeds without having to always have to turn off the O/D, not much rock crawling where I live, just dirt, mud and sand, still tons of fun.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I'd go 4.10s for a better highway ride. The only way I would consider 4.56 or 4.88 is if you plan to upgrade to 35" tires or were planning to rock crawl. 4.10s will give you a little added kick off the line while still giving you reasonable highway cruising rpms and gas mileage.