An opinion on TJ SE models

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
It seems to be time once again for me to throw my 2 cents worth of TJ opinion into the fray. There seems to be a growing body of opinion that TJ SE's are crap and a waste of a good TJ. Many disparaging remarks are throw about by people who don't drive an SE, don't get what an SE is all about and casually drop comments about the utility and / or lack thereof of the four angry squirrel powdered TJ. I find this disappointing in two ways.

One, generally, this is not how this Forum operates. Well, OK, historically that hasn't been how this forum operates. If the culture is changing, so be it. Shit happens. Disappointing, but understandable and typical.

Two. If you casually call my selection of TJ a POS, then fully expect me to either ignore you or challenge your sacred cows. Up until now I've been good, with a few minor but notable exceptions, about just ignoring the BS. I can be particularly good at cow sacrifice. ...and I'm feeling the urge to go heathen on somebodies ignorant ass right now. Not productive. Since I know for a fact that an SE is a viable if not preferable choice for a lot of uses and situations, disparaging SE's only kills the discussion of when and where and how. As a form of group think, it's poisonous. Engage in it if you wish, but expect push back.

Here's my experiences with my 1999 TJ SE, 2.5, AX-5 manual. In my area, which is the Pacific Northwest. Look at a map, it's a pretty big and diverse area with lots of different terrain.

In all the time I've owned my SE I've run into problems only a hand full of times. Twice I've wished for lower gears crawling particularly tight and steep trails. Both time pulling it into 4lo solved the problem. It was agravating to have to go into 4lo because I didn't need 4 wheel drive otherwise. One time was in the Siuslaw and one time was in the Tillamook. There is also one particular grade on Highway 6 over Mount Hood where I need to get into 3rd gear and jump over into the slow lane so as not to impede traffic. But that's only with a full load out. The rest of the time I have no issues keeping up with traffic. It's just not an issue. Highway, Freeway, trails. No particular issues at all with the proper gear selection and driving technique. I haven't done the Rubicon, and probably never will. I have done Kieger Rd. and the Steens. Tillamook State Forest and the Siuslaw. The Cascades. And about a hundred other places in Oregon and Washington with no real names and no name recognition. There's a couple of minor things I need to do before I do them again, and I will. None of those things has anything to do with my SE being an SE.

I try not to be a "collector of modifications", preferring to let my SE tell me what it needs and then providing those modifications with the highest quality parts that I can afford or makes sense. I've actually had to modify very little to get done what needs doing. The time and money not spent on mods has gone into gas, maintenance and butt time in the seat. It's actually had a higher pay back than slapping random or even planned mods on the rig. Highway, city, trail, rocks (such as they are), sand, snow, mud. Spending time in the drivers seat has offered perfectly suitable solutions to any issue I've encountered so far. All the issues have been software issues (thinking) not hardware issues (mods) with a few exceptions.

Examined in the cold harsh light of rational thought I don't regret not buying that 2004 Rubicon I looked at, and am glad that I bought my 1999 SE. The more experience that I get behind the wheel, the more it's proven to be the correct decision. The only time I have regrets is when I get on the forum and read about all the cool mods that people are doing to their non-SE's. That bums me out and gets me all fired up until the weekend comes and the little blue Jeep and I head out into the pucker brush.

The funny thing is my SE has not stranded me out back of beyond, not once. And I'm getting into places that haven't seen anything more than the occasional dirt bike in long enough that the trails are way overgrown. Not bad for a Jeep that everyone (exaggeration alert) loves to hate on.

If you own an SE I want to encourage you to speak up. Share your successes and your failures. Share your mods. Lets get the conversation going. Don't be ashamed of herding four angry squirrels around. Our SE's are just different enough that many of the mods talked about here are either not applicable or implemented differently than the 4.0's. Let's hear about them!

Last edited:
I'll say this:

The SE is horrible on the highway at sustained speeds. If you buy one with the intention of doing a lot of long distance highway traveling (especially through the mountains or hills), then you'll be sorely disappointed.

The SE is horrible for running huge tires. If you bought a Jeep with the intention of putting 35s on it and having enough power to drive with them at 65+ highway speeds, you're not going to be happy.

However, if you bought the Jeep with the intention of using it mostly off-road, in-town, or for exploration, it's great at doing that.

The problem is as I'm sure you're aware, so many people (kids) buy the SE, put 35s on it, and then wonder why it's a dog. They re-gear it and then wonder still, how can I get more power out of it?

You and I both know that there is no cheap way to get power out of these engines, be it the 4 cylinder or the 6 cylinder.

Now in all fairness, having owned a number of 4.0s with big tires (35s) and lots of extra weight, they too suck on the highway!

Better than an SE no doubt, but by no means what I would consider a good "highway cruiser".

I often like to tell people that if I'm in my TJ (4.0 with 35s and 5.38 gears) going up a mountain pass at 60mph and I want to pass someone, I'll turn off the overdrive so it downshifts to 3rd.

Guess what happens then? NOTHING! It goes from loud to insanely loud, but there is no noticeable increase in power, and it struggles to reach a higher speed.

So I guess what I am getting at here is that even the 4.0 when weighted up and overloaded with huge tires is still not going to be a good highway vehicle if you do a lot of traveling through the mountains or want a vehicle that can easily pass others on the highway.

For my intended use, both the 4 cylinder engines (SE) and the 4.0 suck.

For someone else's use, maybe they don't.

We're always taking long trips up through Santiam Pass through the mountains, and I can tell you that even with the 4.0, it's still gutless. A V8 would be a much better choice of engine for me.

I think you need to understand that a lot of people who buy these SE models don't realize any of what you or I are saying before they actually purchase it.

They buy it with the intention of putting on 35s, winches, heavy bumpers, armor, etc.

When they do that, they then are left wondering why it's so gutless and what they can do to mitigate that.

So really what it comes down to is that people aren't doing the research before they buy an SE model.

If you want to buy an SE model to do what you do with it and keep it light, mildly lifted, smaller tires, etc., then sure, it's a great vehicle.

But I'm sorry... you and I both know that probably 99% of potential Jeep owners aren't buying it with that in mind, they are buying it with big tires, armor, and bumpers in mind.

You are probably in the minority of people who are actually buying a TJ with the intention of keeping it "mild". I could be wrong, but based on all the builds I see, I would say that most are adding on lots and lots of extra weight!

I don't own an SE but I've always considered the 2.5 the equal to my 4.0 when I'm offroad. I've been spanked on difficult trails more than a few times with well built rigs running that 2.5. I just have to drive so far, 150-200 miles is typical for me, to my wheeling destinations while towing my pop-up tent trailer that I feel the 4.0 is required for me. :)

I put an offer in on an SE when I was beginning to look at TJs, cant remember the year but it was black and only had 40k miles. It sure struggled heading up the mountain on my test drive with 30" tires, but it still would have been a fun rig.

I've got 31x10.50's and the 5 speed AX-5. Even loaded i can exceed the local speed limits on the freeway (65 - 70) and go up all of the mountain passes locally. Including the Santiam pass. That's with my load out in the Jeep. And the wife. and a spare bottle of bourbon and extra ammunition. Ocasionally I'm hammering it in third, but the SE doesn't seem to mind.

Why do you need huge tires @Chris? 31's or 32's will do almost anything around here and the 2.5 will push those just fine. The Dana 30 / 35 combo even works well with those tire sizes.

Why do you need huge tires @Chris? 31's or 32's will do almost anything around here and the 2.5 will push those just fine. The Dana 30 / 35 combo even works well with those tire sizes.

Why does anyone need huge tires?

I don't need huge tires, I will happily admit that to anyone. I could just as easily get by with 31s. But, like a good majority of Jeep owners out there, I've succumb to the "look" of big tires. :)

I'm pretty sure that applies to 9 out of 10 Wrangler owners ;)

I've got 31x10.50's and the 5 speed AX-5. Even loaded i can exceed the local speed limits on the freeway (65 - 70) and go up all of the mountain passes locally. Including the Santiam pass. That's with my load out in the Jeep. And the wife. and a spare bottle of bourbon and extra ammunition. Ocasionally I'm hammering it in third, but the SE doesn't seem to mind.

I had a 1995 Cherokee with the 4 cylinder engine in it (2.5). Bone stock, not a single thing done to it.

That thing was the biggest dog I've ever owned in my life on the highway. I remember merging onto I-5 at the Tualatin on-ramp and having the throttle floored, yet I was barely even able to pass the guy next to me to merge.

I sold it shortly after realizing it wasn't going to be a good highway driver.

So while I have no doubt it could go up the mountain pass, it wouldn't have been a pleasurable experience for me to have tried.

Of course I realize that's not an SE, so it's not a direct comparison. But I believe it's still the same engine.

But again, I don't even enjoy the 4.0 anymore (probably in large part due to the huge tires). I've concluded that a V8 is a 100% certainty in my future.

Reactions: JMT and StG58

My first TJ was this 97 SE.
For me it worked the same as my last two 4.0 TJs.

I had a 1995 Cherokee with the 4 cylinder engine in it (2.5). Bone stock, not a single thing done to it.

That thing was the biggest dog I've ever owned in my life on the highway. I remember merging onto I-5 at the Tualatin on-ramp and having the throttle floored, yet I was barely even able to pass the guy next to me to merge.

I sold it shortly after realizing it wasn't going to be a good highway driver.

So while I have no doubt it could go up the mountain pass, it wouldn't have been a pleasurable experience for me to have tried.

Of course I realize that's not an SE, so it's not a direct comparison. But I believe it's still the same engine.

But again, I don't even enjoy the 4.0 anymore (probably in large part due to the huge tires). I've concluded that a V8 is a 100% certainty in my future.
Funny thing is, I had a late 80's XJ with the 2.5 with TBI and the Peugot 5 speed. Enjoyed that rig as well. The girls and I spent a lot of years camping and bumming in that rig. Towed a 14' boat with it, actually two different ones now that ithink about it. First time the oldest daughter flipped me off was in that rig. We still laugh about that. You don't drag race in one, but it still worked.

I don't own an SE but I've always considered the 2.5 the equal to my 4.0 when I'm offroad. I've been spanked on difficult trails more than a few times with well built rigs running that 2.5. I just have to drive so far, 150-200 miles is typical for me, to my wheeling destinations while towing my pop-up tent trailer that I feel the 4.0 is required for me. :)
Pulling your popup is probably a nonstarter with the 2.5. No argument there.

Talk about getting spanked. I ran into a guy on a horse with his dog out in the back country and we got to talking. I liked his horse and outfit, he admired my Jeep. I told him how good it was off road. He said "follow me, and we'll see". Made a right hand turn off the road and headed up the the hill, disappearing over the ridge line in short order. I just sat there dumbfounded. I doubt that I could have HIKED up that hill as fast as he disappeared over the ridge. Old farts with sick senses of humor.

I learned to drive under powered econo boxes in the 1970s, Cortinas, Datsun 1200s. My first vehicle, 1973 was an M38, flathead 4 cylinder, 3 speed. Flat out if you call an SE a dog, that's only because yer too lazy to learn how to drive. I've also had Jeeps with 360s and 401s. I'd take an SE over those any day. Light, agile and plenty strong with no need to modify anything.

Most of the mods are done for ego unless you are doing crazy things like climbing rock ledges..... where those mods are practical. Otherwise the stock TJ is plenty capable, likely more reliable than a lifted TJ on 33s. I'd own an SE but I always tow a trailer so I need the 4.0L.

Bigger is rarely better.

Reactions: StG58