TJ Steering Shafts and Bearings: What I Know

My just arrived new to me lower steering shaft measures out at about 1.09” +/-. Bearings hopefully arrive tomorrow.

I love this place. Here I am, having a beer, happy with the latest thing I fixed on my rig, and browsing the forum. I read this thread, go out to the garage and check, and BAM! More shit to do. At least it gives me an excuse to install the steering shaft riser that has been sitting on the shelf for months. So lower shaft + bearing should be all that needs doing in there, right?

That's what she said.
Which riser bracket did you go with?

Gotcha. Well, I ordered the bearing mentioned earlier. It was $10 + $10 shipping directly from Synergy. Looks like I got a little ahead of myself though and that part is already installed on a new shaft? If so, I can turn it around in the mail for $10 + actual shipping cost.

If I need to show myself the door, let me know..

BUT

I just cut that piece out completely. I bought a 2' x 5/8 DD bar and a universal joint for said DD bar. Then ran the new bar through a 5/8 heim joint.. I have no slop, no steering issues.

I can grab pics if needed

Reactions: matkal
Gotcha. Well, I ordered the bearing mentioned earlier. It was $10 + $10 shipping directly from Synergy. Looks like I got a little ahead of myself though and that part is already installed on a new shaft? If so, I can turn it around in the mail for $10 + actual shipping cost.
I have 2 potential replacement bearings arriving today (hopefully). There is also some concern that the Synergy bearing does not fit TJ's but is made for `07 and up?

@DaEbLe - photo's would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Curious how many run the riser bracket?
Seems like a good idea; although, I've never heard of a steering shaft u-joint failing.

I have 2 potential replacement bearings arriving today (hopefully). There is also some concern that the Synergy bearing does not fit TJ's but is made for `07 and up?

@DaEbLe - photo's would be appreciated.
My pic might not do what you want. I said mine has a 5/8 heim joint instead of that entire piece.

I'll measure it when it arrives.

And the riser is supposed to get the shaft more lined up with the hole in the firewall. Also high angles can cause the u-joints to feel like they are getting close to binding according to some. I haven't noticed that though.

Bearing #1 - https://factorysupplyoutlet.com/koy...68DqhYeXlaYX45lx0-tiRIdCicJgJhvhoCAcMQAvD_BwE
too small to fit on shaft.
Bearing #2 - https://factorysupplyoutlet.com/koy...D_dDGQ3yGFukFNwE-wk_iqiQAtfL-YrBoCBnoQAvD_BwE
@ 1.125" inside diameter, just a bit too big for the 1.1" shaft - slightly loose fit.

I'll do some further research to see if there is anything larger than 1.0" but smaller than 1.125" inside diameter.

@skylines - I guess you are up next? Can you measure when it arrives?
Haven't had a chance to try it out on the shaft yet, but here's the paperwork.....

PXL_20211017_013328509.jpg

Reactions: AndyG
I've made it standard practice to pull the pillow block, clean, and grease it. Everyone I've pulled apart looks like this, or worse.

View attachment 283367
Guys- this is a part that moves every time you drive the jeep.

For many of is these are long term vehicles.

It is vital, hard to find and a pain to reach in there and work on - I’m going to drill my nylon collar so I can squirt spray grease in each end - and if I ever have the bearing out a zerk fitting is going in somewhere, or an orifice for a needle zerk gun tip to get it in there.

Reactions: Irun
At a certain point grease can only do soo much. Eventually it’ll just need replacing and if the shaft is too worn, a new bearing won’t do too much.

True, I had to replace mine- the dry bearing eats the shaft.

Grease needs replenished and can greatly reduce friction, wear and extend parts life- but it has another huge benefit off road- any where grease occupies space mud and water can’t go. This is why close range pressure washing bothers me- once you blast out the grease, then the water gets in, rust starts and things go down hill fast. The nature of this parts’ function make it a lifetime part with minimal maintenance- but blast the grease put and watch what happens- just like @Irun showed in the pic-engine heat and engine cleaning likely got that one. It’s proximity to the exhaust means the grease melts.

Reactions: Chasitek
The 1.25” ID leads me to think it is nearly 3/4” too small- let us know.
It's way too big. I just tried it on the new Crown replacement shaft. Slop isn't the right word. It's just too big. I'm gonna complain to them and try to return it just on principal. Also, paying $10 shipping for it pissed me off.