TJ Steering Shafts and Bearings: What I Know

Crown 520787805 my be a fit...not sure your year...I’m foggy on it all. Seems I had or chose to buy 2 parts . The intermediate shaft and bearing and upper shaft I think. I may have an upper shaft still.

Best I remember there were not many options guy.

Tell me what all it’s doing ...sounds like it may have ran some big tires.

Do you know what liberty year range?

I was under the impression it was any year range... and I can't absolutely swear to that but if you could get your hands on the part number from a Chrysler dealer you might be able to tell what's going on.

it's a little frustrating that you can't buy that needle bearing without buying everything else.

I've pulled two of these apart at 200K+. I put both back into service with a simple cleaning and greasing. No excessive play or noise!

rLU6SIy.jpg

jLZZ4Gz.jpg

LNsuHuA.jpg

Good job.

I bet you could drill a relief in the plastic and grease these with a needle Zerk grease gun tip.

I hadn't thought about this, but there is real estate to make this happen!

The only thing I wonder about is the thickness of the metal for a zerk fitting.

I hadn't thought about this, but there is real estate to make this happen!

The only thing I wonder about is the thickness of the metal for a zerk fitting.
With a needle zerk end you don't need a fitting , just hole to get the grease to the bearings . Those ends are about 4" long and 1/8" diameter.

Reactions: Irun
With a needle zerk end you don't need a fitting , just hole to get the grease to the bearings . Those ends are about 4" long and 1/8" diameter.

When time allows, I'm going to see what I can do with this idea!.

When time allows, I'm going to see what I can do with this idea!.
Even being able to shoot some spray grease would be better than letting them run dry.

This is a good example of a bearing that doesn't need to see a pressure washer , never gets serviced, and man they will give you grief if they fail.

A high side and low side port in the nylon, even with a plug , could go along way.

Someone may say ,"won't you lose the grease? " Sure, a little, but you eventually do any way. At least you can add some.

On our work trailer tongue Jack's we drill a hole and shoot spray lube in

On my tile shower drains we drill more weep holes.

Many things can be made to perform better with little effort.

Reactions: Irun
Let me check. I shelled out 340.00 or so and flinched pretty bad.
340 is cheap! Other than the Borgson Chrysler wants 763.00 for the lower steering shaft!! Can you tell me where You found yours for 340. And possibly the part #. The one listed for Crown is not for an 03-06 TJ

340 is cheap! Other than the Borgson Chrysler wants 763.00 for the lower steering shaft!! Can you tell me where You found yours for 340. And possibly the part #. The one listed for Crown is not for an 03-06 TJ
I can't remember, and maybe dead wrong or only bought the bearing half of the assembly...I don't trust my memory...but it was on line.

Reactions: TJTJ04
Crown 520787805 my be a fit...not sure your year...I’m foggy on it all. Seems I had or chose to buy 2 parts . The intermediate shaft and bearing and upper shaft I think. I may have an upper shaft still.

If your looking for a 03-06 the Mopar part # is 55315044aa

Reactions: RonnieS
D
If your looking for a 03-06 the Mopar part # is 55315044aa

Awesome, this or part of may need to be in the resource threads ....it's going to become more common.

Grease the mess out of it .

Good job 👍 tracking it down.

I accidently bought a lower shaft for a 97-02 TJ to replace my lower shaft on my 03, but I was able to make it work. As you said, the lower end section is about 2 inches too short where it meets the gearbox.
The end that goes into the gearbox is held in the shaft by a metal pin with a rubber bushing. I hammered out the pin and worked out the end piece of my old shaft. Did the same with my new shaft and swapped the longer piece into the new shaft. Replaced the pin and bushing as well and worked beautifully. If you have the time and patience, you can use the cheaper 97-02 lower shaft with this modification.
Thanks for that information most helpful

I accidently bought a lower shaft for a 97-02 TJ to replace my lower shaft on my 03, but I was able to make it work. As you said, the lower end section is about 2 inches too short where it meets the gearbox.
The end that goes into the gearbox is held in the shaft by a metal pin with a rubber bushing. I hammered out the pin and worked out the end piece of my old shaft. Did the same with my new shaft and swapped the longer piece into the new shaft. Replaced the pin and bushing as well and worked beautifully. If you have the time and patience, you can use the cheaper 97-02 lower shaft with this modification.
Thanks for that information most helpful

Get the Mopar complete assembly , grease the needle bearing well and be careful with how you reassemble as far as the slip fit joint ..keep the old one as a reference.

It really made mine steer quieter.
Does anyone have a part# for just the needle bearing? Seems like it should be easy to replace - it came out easily enough.