TJ Steering Shafts and Bearings: What I Know

Does anyone have a part# for just the needle bearing? Seems like it should be easy to replace - it came out easily enough.
To my knowledge, the only way to get that is get one from a Liberty- they actually distunguish it in that assembly, but not in the TJ parts diagrams.

To my knowledge, the only way to get that is get one from a Liberty- they actually distunguish it in that assembly, but not in the TJ parts diagrams.
Just for clarity, looking for this part

A29DD342-C432-43A0-AE8B-8413EA974675.jpeg

Reactions: AndyG
To all future people who stumble across this thread or for anyone else looking to save a little money on the lower shaft, you can buy the pre 02 shaft and knock out the roll pin in the pic and swap the lower portion over. (The top shaft in the pic is the OEM 03-06. The lower is the 97-02.) they are the same on the bearing side despite the bearing/bushing not in the same place in the pic.

1EDF2BC5-950A-452C-85C7-0AA4AA34AD1C.jpeg

Last edited:
2 potential bearings on order from Kaman. If neither of those works I’ll try the one above. Part# upon success. Extreme terrain product back ordered. Kaman order supposedly showing up on Friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyG
2 potential bearings on order from Kaman. If neither of those works I’ll try the one above. Part# upon success. Extreme terrain product back ordered. Kaman order supposedly showing up on Friday.
Keep us posted, quadratec shows the ET product being a different fitment

Keep us posted, quadratec shows the ET product being a different fitment
Saw that. Sweet little ole counter lady at Kaman was unhappy she couldn’t find the exact fit, but then again, my sample was badly rusted and cracked. Hopefully of of the 2 will fit. Do we have any real dimensions to work with?

Saw that. Sweet little ole counter lady at Kaman was unhappy she couldn’t find the exact fit, but then again, my sample was badly rusted and cracked. Hopefully of of the 2 will fit. Do we have any real dimensions to work with?
Can get you a shaft collar Dimension that will tell you if her inside dimension is good-be this pm

I love this place. Here I am, having a beer, happy with the latest thing I fixed on my rig, and browsing the forum. I read this thread, go out to the garage and check, and BAM! More shit to do. At least it gives me an excuse to install the steering shaft riser that has been sitting on the shelf for months. So lower shaft + bearing should be all that needs doing in there, right?

you cannot underestimate how important that shaft working smoothly is.
That's what she said.

I love this place. Here I am, having a beer, happy with the latest thing I fixed on my rig, and browsing the forum. I read this thread, go out to the garage and check, and BAM! More shit to do. At least it gives me an excuse to install the steering shaft riser that has been sitting on the shelf for months. So lower shaft + bearing should be all that needs doing in there, right?

That's what she said.
If it has slop or the wheel pops- or you ever have it apart, at least clean it and regrease it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irun
There is a fair bit of slop when I reach in the engine bay, grab it, and check for play.
The shaft collar , where the bearing rides is about 1.191” on my take off with 20,000 miles- the collar was good, pressure washing blew grease out of the bearing - they wheeled in mud a lot.