TJ Throwing P0344 Code

SoCalGlide

2K6GPLJ
Supporting Member
I know there are more than a few P0344 code threads on here, I want to add mine.
2006 LJ, 164K miles
Replaced OPDA in Oct. of last year with Crown unit, reused Mopar cam position sensor.
Last week on the way to work, out of the blue, went into limp mode. Won't rev over about 2400 rpm.
Got her home, read codes, got a P0344, and only a P0344. No P0340, no P0016.
Erased code, went for a test drive, went back into limp mode almost immediately, P0344 is back.
This is in SoCal, so it's not cold out.
There doesn't seem to be excessive play in the OPDA.
Couldn't find a replacement Mopar cam position sensor, so replaced it with a Standard Ignition Products.
Went for test drive, limp mode returns immediately, P0344 is back. Still only the P0344, no other codes.
What's next?
Try another cam position sensor? What brand?

Last edited:
Clean the battery posts, battery harness and grounds then check the wiring harness from the cam sensor to the PCM for chafing.

Reactions: Chris
Just went through this same thing with mine, 2005 Jeep LJ 65,000 miles. Same error code and only that code. I tried to replace just the cam sensor, cleared the code and it worked great, let it sit overnight and the code came back and went back into lime mode.

I went to a buddy who owns a shop and using his reader, ended up replacing both the cam sensor and crank shaft sensor, they were not communicating properly is what the reader said, replacing both and clearing the code fixed it for me.

I did already clean the battery posts, cables, and grounds. I do need to give the harness a closer look, but I didn't see anything in a cursory look.

If I don't see anything in the wiring, I think it's time to take it someplace with more sophisticated test equipment than my Harbor freight code reader.

Thanks guys.

Just a follow up here. I took my LJ to an independent shop I trust, and they put it on their analyzer, a Snap-On I believe. They showed that the cam and crank sensors were in sync and operating correctly. They looked for any frayed wiring and/or loose connectors, but didn't see anything. They told me there was a TSB that possibly could apply (18-015-09) that require reflashing the PCM, which they couldn't do, dealer only. I wasn't charged anything for their diagnosis.
I got into the Jeep dealer in Simi Valley today. They said that the cam and crank sensors were out of sync by 15.2°. I can't explain the discrepancy. The dealer adjusted the sync to .1°, and performed a cam/crank relearn procedure. I have no idea if this involves a reflash or not.
Jeep is running fine (fingers crossed), at least for the 30 miles I drove it home. Unfortunately, they didn't untap a hidden extra 50 horseower :) , but I'm glad to have my Jeep back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondie70 and Daryl
Just a follow up here. I took my LJ to an independent shop I trust, and they put it on their analyzer, a Snap-On I believe. They showed that the cam and crank sensors were in sync and operating correctly. They looked for any frayed wiring and/or loose connectors, but didn't see anything. They told me there was a TSB that possibly could apply (18-015-09) that require reflashing the PCM, which they couldn't do, dealer only. I wasn't charged anything for their diagnosis.
I got into the Jeep dealer in Sim Valley today. They said that the cam and crank sensors were out of syn by 15.2°. I can't explain the discrepancy. The dealer adjusted the sync to .1°, and performed a cam/crank relearn procedure. I have no idea if this involves a reflash or not.
Jeep is running fine (fingers crossed), at least for the 30 miles I drove it home. Unfortunately, they didn't untap a hidden extra 50 horseower :) , but I'm glad to have my Jeep back.

That's odd, I wonder what's up with the discrepancy?

Definitely be sure to leave that dealer a good review. Also, thanks for the update. I'm sure it's bound to help someone in the future.

That's odd, I wonder what's up with the discrepancy?

Definitely be sure to leave that dealer a good review. Also, thanks for the update. I'm sure it's bound to help someone in the future.
It's a puzzler, the independent shop has a very good rep, and personally, I trust them. Maybe just a bad read on their part.
After I had replaced the cam and crank sensors, without any improvement, I knew it was time to stop throwing parts at it and get professional help. For the Jeep! I hate paying dealer labor rates, but I feel it was the right call at this point. I'll give it a couple of days, and if all is well, I will definitely go on Yelp or whatever and give them a shout out.

Reactions: AndyG and Chris
My P0344 code is back. :cry: Pretty much the same as 9 months ago, except it's only doing it when cold (for now?). That's SoCal cold, not real world cold. But, first thing in the morning, or when I leave work after it's been sitting 8-9 hours, it hits limp mode in a couple miles, so I pull over and erase the code with my reader. Then it's fine the rest of the way to work or home. Original MOPAR sensor, so I threw my spare Standard Ignition piece in there. Same results. I pick up an Echlin sensor from NAPA since a few guys seem to have had luck with those. Worse. Hits limp mode right after starting her up. I think it's a bad unit out of the box. So I put the OEM sensor back in.
Not sure how the cam and crank sensors could go out of sync in 9 months. Hate for it to be an every 9 month trip to the dealer to get them synced as well. I feel like Chrysler really screwed us over on this.

This problem may indicate the beginning of worn bushings on the OPDA.... which is why the sync needed adjusting 9 months ago and has returned. I have no way to confirm my suspicions other than with a factory diagnostic tool.

Reactions: SoCalGlide
This problem may indicate the beginning of worn bushings on the OPDA.... which is why the sync needed adjusting 9 months ago and has returned. I have no way to confirm my suspicions other than with a factory diagnostic tool.
The OPDA is a 2 year old Crown unit. I'm wondering if something mechanical is going on. Such as maybe the original OPDA messed up the cam, though it didn't look chewed up when I replaced the OPDA. I should pull the OPDA cap and see how much play is there.

Just went through this same thing with mine, 2005 Jeep LJ 65,000 miles. Same error code and only that code. I tried to replace just the cam sensor, cleared the code and it worked great, let it sit overnight and the code came back and went back into lime mode.

I went to a buddy who owns a shop and using his reader, ended up replacing both the cam sensor and crank shaft sensor, they were not communicating properly is what the reader said, replacing both and clearing the code fixed it for me.
My uncle is looking at this Jeep LJ project with the same code issue. We'll just finish installing the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto the truck this week before we can take a closer look at the Jeep. Gonna try your procedure.