TJ Tire Carrier Options?

MIchael C

So I've been mounting my 33in spare on the factory tire carrier for the last year. Other then the tire rubbing on the top back bumper it has been fine(thought it might be good, added weight support).

The other day I noticed I had a problem opening and closing the tailgate, had to lift the spare a bit to close. Also I noticed that my tailgate paint was cracking on the top a bit and kind of dented(close to the tailgate handle), assuming this is due to added weight of rim and tire.

Having said all that, I have a few questions:
1. Is anyone else having this same problem and if so what did they do to fix?
2. Anybody have any recommendations on good tire carrier?
3. Should I just get a bumper and tire carrier?

Thanks

If you add too much weight to the tailgate (i.e. a big heavy wheel / tire combo), you're going to run into issues like this, it's completely normal. Fix it before it gets much worse is my advice!

IMHO, the best tire carrier out there was the OR-Fab tire carrier. Since they went out of business though, I am a firm believer that the next best option (until someone shows me otherwise) is the Exogate.

It uses the same type of design as the OR-Fab unit did. You don't want one of those tire carriers where it mounts to an aftermarket bumper and a swivel joint / bearing. You see these ones on almost every Jeep out there, but they develop issues down the road with that bearing, and they are mostly cheaply made.

You can't go wrong with that Exogate, it really is the best option for our TJs if you ask me.

If you add too much weight to the tailgate (i.e. a big heavy wheel / tire combo), you're going to run into issues like this, it's completely normal. Fix it before it gets much worse is my advice!

IMHO, the best tire carrier out there was the OR-Fab tire carrier. Since they went out of business though, I am a firm believer that the next best option (until someone shows me otherwise) is the Exogate.

It uses the same type of design as the OR-Fab unit did. You don't want one of those tire carriers where it mounts to an aftermarket bumper and a swivel joint / bearing. You see these ones on almost every Jeep out there, but they develop issues down the road with that bearing, and they are mostly cheaply made.

You can't go wrong with that Exogate, it really is the best option for our TJs if you ask me.

Thanks Chris, I wasn't aware of this product and it's something I will def consider. I like the fact that you don't have to drill any holes in the tub and it keeps the factory look.

Do we have any members that are currently running the Exogate?

Reactions: Chris
<snip>You can't go wrong with that Exogate, it really is the best option for our TJs if you ask me.
Bingo! This, right here, is the reason that I read threads that seem of only passing interest to me!

I have been searching for a solution that would allow me to move my spare tire to the passenger side by 4-1/4". I wanted to keep the 31 / 32" spare tire tucked to the tailgate a closely as possible and as low as possible to the bumper. I've heard positive reviews of the Exogate carrier before, so I browsed out to give it another look, but this time reviewed the install directions. (Install directions have good info in them by the way...even if you don't purchase the product) There is an angle bracket that ties the tire mount to the Exogate frame that is a very easy fab project to duplicate-modify. There you have it. 32" spare tire moved to the right 4-1/4" and on a much sturdier mount to boot.

Thanks @Chris! You have provided me with another piece of the TJ puzzle.

Reactions: Chris
Bingo! This, right here, is the reason that I read threads that seem of only passing interest to me!

I have been searching for a solution that would allow me to move my spare tire to the passenger side by 4-1/4". I wanted to keep the 31 / 32" spare tire tucked to the tailgate a closely as possible and as low as possible to the bumper. I've heard positive reviews of the Exogate carrier before, so I browsed out to give it another look, but this time reviewed the install directions. (Install directions have good info in them by the way...even if you don't purchase the product) There is an angle bracket that ties the tire mount to the Exogate frame that is a very easy fab project to duplicate-modify. There you have it. 32" spare tire moved to the right 4-1/4" and on a much sturdier mount to boot.

Thanks @Chris! You have provided me with another piece of the TJ puzzle.

Happy to help, even though I had no idea I was helping!

Now that OR-Fab is done for, the Exogate is the best solution IMHO. I'm planning on buying one for my TJ. I like the look much better than the swing out tire carrier bumpers too! Those things are mostly all cheap garbage.

If you want to keep a stock look the Exogate is the option to choose. However, the Exogate is around 450 with shipping and at that price you have many options with a bumper and swing out carrier combo.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIchael C
I liked the Exogate from the beginning. What I did not like was the price. I mean, we're talking a few pieces of steel here for $400+. I agree it's a good problem solver, but am I crazy to think it should be priced around $200?

I have the exogate, I like it a lot, nice and easy to operate. I can't say it's better than my metal cloak bumper/tire carrier on my other jeep but I like it. What I didn't like it's the fact that it re uses the factory tire carrier, and is not adjustable for rim back space differences, and I had to custom fab the tire stop bumpers. They make the metal cloak bumper for the tj too, but I didn't feel like paying another 1500 (with powder coating) for it...
20170415_134438.jpg
20170415_125852.jpg
20170415_131441.jpg
20170723_174848.jpg
20170410_193813.jpg
20170410_194041.jpg

Reactions: MIchael C and Chris
Hot damn that Metalcloak tire carrier looks awesome! I didn't know they made one. But man, for that price I think I would have to pass, especially since IMHO it's got to be powder coated to look right.

I really like how low they (metalcloak )got the spare to sit, the double bearing and double latching like a car door. It's crazy solid and rattle free.

But that’s a JK tire carrier, do they make a TJ version as well that looks the same?

Yes, they make one for the tj/lj that looks exactly the same. I saw a used one on c/l for 800 one time, kicking myself still for not buying it!

No kidding. $800 would be a good deal. I love the look, but man that’s expensive!

Q-tech has one made by Tactic for about $360 I think. Can't find it on any other site, so it must be a Q-tech exclusive.

IMG_1417.JPG
I had just put 33's on and waited 7 weeks for and ACE bumper / carrier. I just got it installed this week and so far I am very happy with it. Very solid and not a rattle I went with it because the lack of an additional latch and had pretty good raitings. Made in the USA And I already made the smittybilt mistake on the front bumper.

Reactions: lowranger
Can you show more pics of bumper and tire mount. I can see the white tail fine, and appreciate that too!