TJ tubs for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
So, there's a local (to me) wrecking yard that bought out Olympic 4X4's inventory of TJ tubs when Olympic closed down. I went over there to take a look at the inventory this morning, and all I can say is that I will be bringing home a rust-free tub within the next few weeks. Gotta open up some real estate, first. Here are a few pics for the rustbelt boys to drool over. All look to be in the same rust-free condition, so I'm going back to pick the one that I want.
IMG_1593 (1).JPG
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1595.JPG

So, there's a local (to me) wrecking yard that bought out Olympic 4X4's inventory of TJ tubs when Olympic closed down. I went over there to take a look at the inventory this morning, and all I can say is that I will be bringing home a rust-free tub within the next few weeks. Gotta open up some real estate, first. Here are a few pics for the rustbelt boys to drool over. All look to be in the same rust-free condition, so I'm going back to pick the one that I want.
View attachment 232974View attachment 232975View attachment 232976View attachment 232977
Those look nice! What are they charging for a tub? I paid 750 for mine, but it has some damage that I needed to repair.

Reactions: Squatch
Those look nice! What are they charging for a tub? I paid 750 for mine, but it has some damage that I needed to repair.
They were listed for $600. I didn't inquire further (if one would be more expensive than another). All are bare tubs. So, question: Is there a difference in the tranny hump opening between the automatics and the manuals? If so, I should probably seek out one with the opening for the manual trans. Did see a couple of '98s there, which is a match for mine. Unfortunately, no green ones in the bunch.

• Sad
Reactions: reddvltj
They were listed for $600. I didn't inquire further (if one would be more expensive than another). All are bare tubs. So, question: Is there a difference in the tranny hump opening between the automatics and the manuals? If so, I should probably seek out one with the opening for the manual trans. Did see a couple of '98s there, which is a match for mine. Unfortunately, no green ones in the bunch

That is a hell of a price. Buy two! In my searches, I only found differences between the 97-2002 and the 2003- 2006. That is mainly the heater box in the firewall. The pass through is different. I believe the transmission tunnel cut out is the same, and they used different cover plates to handle auto vs manual.

That is a hell of a price. Buy two! In my searches, I only found differences between the 97-2002 and the 2003- 2006. That is mainly the heater box in the firewall. The pass through is different. I believe the transmission tunnel cut out is the same, and they used different cover plates to handle auto vs manual.
Awesome. Thanks for the info, brother! (y)

What color are you going with?

my question is how can they parting out such rust free TJ,s when they are worth so much on the open market
I've seen my fair share of 'em (back at Olympic 4X4) with front end damage and/or suspension damage. That'd be my guess.

Here's one that was sitting at the yard when I walked in. The tub was twisted up pretty badly. Rear axle was a Dana 35, so no real value there.
Wrecked.msg.jpg

my question is how can they parting out such rust free TJ,s when they are worth so much on the open market
Lots of people just scrap them when they get hit with a large repair bill or a minor accident that totals them. They are an enthusiast vehicle, but a lot of non-enthusiast drive them. They owe money and they need the check to pay the bank vs selling it for 50 percent of what they owe.

There is a guy near me that parts them. He says he pays between 2000 and 2500 for rusty junk, and makes enough money parting them to keep doing it. Most of the time, the frame and tub are gone.

Ok now I'm gonna have to start figuring out some logistics!!! Mainly how I'm going to get the time to get over there to pick one up!!
They were listed for $600. I didn't inquire further (if one would be more expensive than another). All are bare tubs. So, question: Is there a difference in the tranny hump opening between the automatics and the manuals? If so, I should probably seek out one with the opening for the manual trans. Did see a couple of '98s there, which is a match for mine. Unfortunately, no green ones in the bunch.
Paint is an easy fix compared to rusted out torque tubes and twisted sheet metal!! I didn't see any of the desert sand pearl, so if I can find a way to get over there and get one I'll be in the same patch work boat!!

Ok now I'm gonna have to start figuring out some logistics!!! Mainly how I'm going to get the time to get over there to pick one up!!

Paint is an easy fix compared to rusted out torque tubes and twisted sheet metal!! I didn't see any of the desert sand pearl, so if I can find a way to get over there and get one I'll be in the same patch work boat!!
Wish I had a place to store one for ya, buddy, because I'd gladly do that. Unfortunately, I already have to dispose of one car carcass to make room for the TJ tub.

Wish I had a place to store one for ya, buddy, because I'd gladly do that. Unfortunately, I already have to dispose of one car carcass to make room for the TJ tub.
I have some friends over there that live on a bit of property in the Arlington area that might be willing to give it a temporary home until I can make it over to pick it up (if I end up getting one).

There is a difference is the inside of the rocker below the doors. The formed piece on the inside moved towards the front a bit that messes up nutsert locations for rock rails.

There is a difference is the inside of the rocker below the doors. The formed piece on the inside moved towards the front a bit that messes up nutsert locations for rock rails.
Do you by chance know the year they made those changes? Is it the 02 to 03 changes along with the change to the firewall heater opening?

I have some friends over there that live on a bit of property in the Arlington area that might be willing to give it a temporary home until I can make it over to pick it up (if I end up getting one).
I'm going to build a rack on the back of my Dodge truck (I did one before to haul the front half of a Rambler). Pretty sure the TJ tub will fit without a problem. If it works out, I'd be willing to haul your tub to your friend's place, as long as there was enough manpower to unload it.

I'm going to build a rack on the back of my Dodge truck (I did one before to haul the front half of a Rambler). Pretty sure the TJ tub will fit without a problem. If it works out, I'd be willing to haul your tub to your friend's place, as long as there was enough manpower to unload it.
I'll make some calls and see what I can come up with. Thank you kindly!!

Status
Not open for further replies.