TJ wheel and tire combo question

Gorilla

I have a photo of a TJ I saved from a Extreme Terrain calendar thats from a few years ago. Not sure exactly what year but Ive been digging the set up on this Jeep.

Can anyone tell me what size tire this is by just looking at the photo? I know its a rubicon with 16" moab wheels but Im not quite sure if those tires are 35's or 37's? I want to say 35 x 10.50 or 11.50. They dont quite look like pizza cutters though.

Anyone know what else the set up is on this jeep?

Dscf8139.jpg

Thanks Chris and Starrs. I was kinda thinking that myself but when I compared it to this photo which I know are 33's with moabs it just looks like the Extreme Terrain TJ has more side wall? It was making me second guess myself. I know they are BFGoodrich tires (I think KM2) as I used a 5x magnifying glass to eyeball the photo closer. lol!

I've been searching google images for some months now, trying to find this photo but haven't been too successful. I finally got the idea about posting it up and asking for help. lol!

33 16 Colorado Tj 2 inch OME lift.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the tire size, but they look like 33's. I've seen that Jeep before, maybe at the Pomona Off-Road Expo. It's got a ft. & rr. air bag set up, no coils. And each air bag has its own pump & dump switch. The pic is from the Hump & Bump event in the Logan area near Las Vegas.

I suppose I could be wrong, but those look almost exactly like the 285/75R16s I had on my Moab wheels. They are narrow enough too that they don’t look like a 12.5 width.

I suppose I could be wrong, but those look almost exactly like the 285/75R16s I had on my Moab wheels. They are narrow enough too that they don’t look like a 12.5 width.

Those don’t look to be near the 12.5” width to me either...more like ~11” I would guess.

Reactions: Chris
Have any of you fellas had problems or had to change out your stock steering boxes after running 285's? Im currently on 31x10.50 x15;s. I have yet to put the 2" lift on but would like to prepare myself on what type of problems may arise once I do up it 2 or 2.5" and start running the 285's.

Have any of you fellas had problems or had to change out your stock steering boxes after running 285's? Im currently on 31x10.50 x15;s. I have yet to put the 2" lift on but would like to prepare myself on what type of problems may arise once I do up it 2 or 2.5" and start running the 285's.

You won't have any issue with the steering box, I can guarantee that.

If you're new to lifting TJs, read this thread: A Beginners Guide to Lifting Your Jeep Wrangler TJ

It's very informative and probably answers a lot of the questions you have in your head.

Much thank for that link Chris. Yes, it was one of the main reasons among a few others on why Im procrastinating lifting it. lol! I think I would like to have the new 285's on hand in case after it is lifted, I think the 31's may be a bit too small looking. This way I can just swap em out instead of waiting it out for bigger tires.