TJ Winter Upgrade Project

DrDirt

I've been gathering parts for a several months now for an upgrade project on my 97TJ. Similar to a squirrel gathering nuts for the winter, only it's parts for me.
My current lift is a Superlift long-arm kit which had a lifetime warranty but the kit is now discontinued. The long arms have screw joints in them which do not have a lock nut on them. They provide rotation in the joint for good flexing. Over time and use these joints can get worn and loose. Some recommend welding the joints but I think at least one of the end joints should be changed to a Johnny Joint (or something similar). Wasn't sure I wanted to do that.
So for the long term, I decided to get a new lift. Going to put in the Teraflex Pro LCG 4" lift. All of the suspension links in this kit are straight tubes with rod ends threaded into the tube. A good long term lift with easier maintenance. Adding the Teraflex bumpstops front and read too.
Also going to install a new front axle. Going to install a Dynatrac ProRock44 with 4.56 gears and an ARB locker. (I'll have a Dana 30 for sale in the not to distant future. (It will be posted in the for sale section later.)
So I pulled the Jeep in the shop over the weekend and got it on my lift. Already started doing some work but the real work will begin in Dec. and Jan. after I retire.
MUST have the Jeep ready for Moab. Got a condo rented and heading west!
Jeep with parts for upgrade.jpg Jeep on lift to begin upgrade.jpg

Similar to a squirrel gathering nuts for the winter, only it's parts for me.
View attachment 24199 ]

First, congrats on all the parts! Second, congrats on the future retirement. That squirrel quote has be crying. And that picture is one of the best Jeep pictures I have seen. It captures what the Jeep life is all about.

Very excited to see your transformation! Keep us posted.

I'll be going out to Moab the last week of March for the Easter Jeep Safari. Fortunately I've made quite a few trips to the EJS as a business trip for BFG. My first EJS was around 1997 or 1998. Probably been there about 9-10 times. Had my Jeep out there twice.
My wife loves wheelin and visiting in Moab so it's easy to convince her to go there.

Reactions: Squatch and JMT
Your lucky your wife loves wheelin.

Worked on my Jeep over last weekend. Most significant change is the removal of the front axle. Used my engine hoist to lower it. Built a "lift bar" for the axle and attached it to the axle with some nylon straps. All the brackets from the current lift kit that bolted to the frame have to be removed to start installing the new ones. My wheelin friend was busy over the weekend so I played it extra safe and was careful with the heavy stuff.
Jeep remove old front axle.JPG Jeep no f axle.JPG

Jeep no f axle.JPG

Love your pic of you with all your parts! Curious how you like your atlas lift? @Dave K. is planning on getting that lift in the new workshop he’s building. How much head clearance do you have?

I am very happy with the lift. It has worked well with no problems. Bought it from Greg Smith Equipment in Atlanta. Installed it in 2013. I'm 5'11" tall and with using the long extensions on the lift pads, I have good clearance under the middle of the Jeep. But the lift arms are lower and I don't not have clearance under them. I've banged my head a few times said a few choice words about it. I try to remember to wear a cap now.
Check out the lift at: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-PV-10P

I am very happy with the lift. It has worked well with no problems. Bought it from Greg Smith Equipment in Atlanta. Installed it in 2013. I'm 5'11" tall and with using the long extensions on the lift pads, I have good clearance under the middle of the Jeep. But the lift arms are lower and I don't not have clearance under them. I've banged my head a few times said a few choice words about it. I try to remember to wear a cap now.
Check out the lift at: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-PV-10P
Thank you for the feedback. I believe they make one that lifts higher that dave is looking at. I will share this all with him!

I've made some more progress on my Jeep winter project. I have all of the old lift kit parts removed from my Jeep now. I've got the rear axle dropped and hanging on chains and one jack stand so I can work on it. I have to install a truss on the rear axle for the new lift. All was going well for the test fitting until one of the rear brackets didn't quite line up to the diff housing. I'll have to make a slight modification for it to work.

Flying out tomorrow morning to help BFG sponsor some guests at the finish line of the Baja 1000. The race ends in La Paz this year. This is the 50th anniversary of the race and a lot of hoopla will be going on. This will be my last trip as a full-time employee with Michelin/BFG. 16 more days to retirement. Hoping Rob MacCachren can win it again to make it 4 in a row!
Jeep w rear axle dropped.jpgTruss on Diff2.jpg

Reactions: JMT
Just completed my first week or retirement and it was WONDERFUL!
I now have a temporary tranny/T-case support made and this allows me to remove the tall jack stand support so I can now easily move the Jeep up and down with the lift. I made it out of some square tubing I had in my shop.
The frame rails for the T-Flex lift are now tack welded in place.
I'm working on positioning the truss for the rear axle and the brackets for the upper control arms. Making sure I get the positioning and brackets correct before welding it up.
Wishing y'all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!TJ with temp support.jpg

Just completed my first week or retirement and it was WONDERFUL!
I now have a temporary tranny/T-case support made and this allows me to remove the tall jack stand support so I can now easily move the Jeep up and down with the lift. I made it out of some square tubing I had in my shop.
The frame rails for the T-Flex lift are now tack welded in place.
I'm working on positioning the truss for the rear axle and the brackets for the upper control arms. Making sure I get the positioning and brackets correct before welding it up.
Wishing y'all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!View attachment 26629
Really cool!

Christmas is over, the New Year has passed, and the weather is cold in South Carolina. Fortunately the temps are going to warm up later this week. My heaters in the shop have been working hard to keep the shop warm over the holidays.
I hired a welder to make all of the critical welds on the lift components. Got that done and now I have the rear axle hanging by the new suspension and I have the Teraflex rear bump stops/spring relocators welded to the frame. I should get the rear axle done this week and then move on to the front axle. I have already tack welded the front bumpstops in place so I hope to have the front axle in place by the end of the weekend.

Glad to hear your making progress. It sounds like it's coming along wonderfully. How cold is it (or did it get) down there in SC?