TJ with aftermarket alarm acting up

Ryan111Wilson

*2000 Jeep tj sport manual.*

came with a Pur5uit security aftermarket system which had a chip key. No key fob, no powered doors. The key Attachment is some sort of keychain thing that needs to be in the vehicle or nothing cranks over / starts.

it kept acting up where it seemed like it thought it wasn’t in the Jeep when it was. I would get stuck in a spot for 5-20 mins just trying to start it. One day I ripped It out!!! Rewired thewires back to factory and instead of doing nothing.. I got the Jeep to crank. Got a “no bus” after. & still won’t start. It was an aftermarket system I thought.. I wired everything back to where it was cut and tapped into.. I just don’t get it.

-did battery, terminals, starter, checked fuses, spark plugs, relays, checked wires multiple times... did so many things and still nothing omg.

took to mechanic and he’s had it for two weeks and getting nothing from the scanner tool. So like any ideas?

doni need to replace the computer? Or camshaft position sensor maybe? Idk I’ve already spent like a few hundred bucks and whatever mechanic is gonna charge me.. just need this solved please

Remove the alarm altogether, it will do you no good.
What's up with the alarm anyway? It's just a Jeep.

Last edited:
You will get nothing from a scan tool trying to figure out why something aftermarket doesn’t work. Find everything it is wired to and just put it back the way it was In the first place. Usually they go for wires that are in a
Safety circuit like a neutral safety switch or a clutch switch. Just find where it was and remove it and make sure the wires are connected back together the way it was from factory.
Possibly it could be a bad crimp depending on what you used to put it back together

Reactions: Chris and TJ2
Since you already removed it, check all your re-connections.

Do the gauges work? Have you tried disconnecting each sensor in turn?

Reactions: Chris
While I know you don't want to hear this, I think you only have two real options here:
  1. Find a mechanic that is actually competent (yours sounds incompetent) and knows what they are doing, particularly when it comes to electronics.
  2. Download a free copy of the FSM here. Go through the wiring diagrams and make certain all your wiring is correct.
What you are dealing with is almost certainly a wiring issue.