TJ won't engage 4WD

njklife

So I ran into a issue where my jeep (1998 Tj) would not engage 4wd in a slightly problematic situation. I was trying to tow jetskis offroad on a uphill. To make a long story short, the jeep didn't engage 4wd. The shifter seems to be able to go through all the positions fine, (2H,4H,N,4L) but beside the notches, there's not indication that I was in 4H. It feels like I'm either in N or 2H when shifting in 4h Sometimes the gears engage, other times it just revs. I feel the ratios change when going into 4L, however still the front axle doesn't seem to engage. Once I was out of my predicament, I tested the different transfer case positions on flat road. Front wheels never gripped the pavement. When examining, I noticed a 2 pin connector melted near the exhaust going from the transfer case harness to the transmission. Not sure if that has any effect on my situation. I tried spinning the front differential by hand in 2wd and 4h, 4l. 2wd spins freely, both 4h and 4l "resist."

Any help and/or questions are greatly appreciated.

Shifting between 2Hi, 4Hi, Neutral, and 4Lo is a purely mechanical thing, a melted electrical plug wouldn't cause that.

It's just likely your t-case shift linkage bracket that holds onto the shift rod from the t-case has simply slipped out of adjustment. It's held in position by the 1/2" head bolt circled below. When it slips it gives the problem you are describing. It just needs to be readjusted back into position. You can normally find the position the bolt used to sit at on the shift rod by the mark it leaves in the shift rod.

transfer case linkage.jpg

Reactions: astjp2
Shifting between 2Hi, 4Hi, Neutral, and 4Lo is a purely mechanical thing, a melted electrical plug wouldn't cause that.

It's just likely your t-case shift linkage bracket that holds onto the shift rod from the t-case has simply slipped out of adjustment. It's held in position by the 1/2" head bolt circled below. When it slips it gives the problem you are describing. It just needs to be readjusted back into position. You can normally find the position the bolt used to sit at on the shift rod by the mark it leaves in the shift rod.

View attachment 275017
Perfect post. The rod will just slide if the bolt is loose - if you have to snug it up, have the handle and transfer case actuator in the proper positions, then snug it up.

if the jeep is lifted it may be popped out at a pivot point- several brackets are offered but the cadillac fix is a Savvy Cable shifter.

I have a name for you next Jeep Jerry-The Jerry Rig. It will be awesome.

Perfect post. The rod will just slide if the bolt is loose - if you have to snug it up, have the handle and transfer case actuator in the proper positions, then snug it up.

if the jeep is lifted it may be popped out at a pivot point- several brackets are offered but the cadillac fix is a Savvy Cable shifter.

I have a name for you next Jeep Jerry-The Jerry Rig. It will be awesome.
Don't ever leave us Andy. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Claybirdd and AndyG
No one else will take me.
:love: :ROFLMAO:😁 We're gonna have to go Jeeping together once I get back to Florida which is a hell of a lot closer to Alabama than California is. Especially since you'll undoubtedly know the best bug repellants for whatever it is you have buzzing around down there lol.

Reactions: AndyG
:love: :ROFLMAO:😁 We're gonna have to go Jeeping together once I get back to Florida which is a hell of a lot closer to Alabama than California is. Especially since you'll undoubtedly know the best bug repellants for whatever it is you have buzzing around down there lol.
It would be an honor- hard to find a rock or hill down there but we got a few up here- a lot of the forum guys on this end of the map would love to meet you Jerry-

I have a neighbor I can bring- he repels everything- people, work, prosperity- I tell people there is no situation so bad he can’t make it worse. 😂

Don't mean to interrupt this convo, but that adjustment seemed to have worked like a charm. Even the 4wd light came on! I appreciate both of your guy's help.
See, This forum is just like hanging out with the guys in the garage.

“Oh, by the way Earl, that fixed it”

And a good time was had by all.

• Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford