TJ won't start, new battery?

Alyssa Dorley

My 00' daily driven's check engine light came on and we disconnected the negative battery terminal, and the aftermarket alarm system started going off everytime the car would start. Then disconnected the alarm since it wouldn't start and now the jeep won't start at all. We just put a new battery in it and the alarm is connected again. The tail and head lights flash, the odometer is flashing, and a clicking noise. It all happens for about 15 seconds

First off, why did the check engine light come on? What engine code was it throwing when you scanned it (hopefully you scanned it)?

Reactions: JP98
There is a lot going on in your post. Help with answering a few questions. Why did the check engine light come on? What code did it kick?

Yeah, you really need to scan for codes and see what the codes are. That's going to be very, very telling, and may just be the solution to your problem. It's also better than just guessing as to what the issue might be is. A low radiator is not very likely to throw a check engine light I'm pretty sure.

I would also take the battery to your local auto part store. They will test it for free and tell you if it's still good or not. That will rule that out.

In addition to that. I would disconnect the aftermarket alarm from the battery so you leave that potential problem out of the equation for now.

I would double check that all leads for the alarm are removed as well, there may be some residual wiring that's interfering with the ignition switch now that it isn't receiving a signal from the alarm box.

Reactions: Chris
Last time I had issues with start my computer started failing in my 02 it threw a camshaft displacements sensor code or something like that also I learned at that time if you flip the key back and forth a certain way it would scan the system but in my case it had no codes so it would say done so I would assume if it had a code it would displace it on the odometer meter place

Reactions: Chris
Makes sense. Sometimes those things can be finicky and cause power drainages if they aren’t installed correctly.