TJ wont start on the first shot always the second?

AmandaOlivia

Always starts on second shot. dont want to burn out my starter. is this a fuel check valve? meaning i need to replace the fuel pump? if i sit there and turn the key on-off-on 6-8 times it always starts right up. also i have a warranty through the dealership i bought it at should this be covered under warranty? Bought it a little over a month ago. at first it just did it once in a while now its all the time i still have till September under warranty.

Sounds like fuel to me, no other reason that I could think key on for time would help.

could be a leak that causing it to loose pressure maybe to.

Sounds like the flow back valve. Just went through it. Got a new pump and that one lasted a week. Hope this next one last :LOL:

My 98 TJ 4.0 is similar if it sits a day or so. I have gotten into the habit of turning the key to the on position and look at the warning lights. By the time they go off the fuel pump has pressured up and it is time to hit the starter position. Just a few second delay. Works well on other vehicles also.

Reactions: Richard Brust
I installed a Bosch fuel pump that lasted only few months before the check valve failed. I just installed the Delphi unit and it works great so far (even gas gauge works better). I think the quality of pumps can be hit or miss. As you are from the NE (rust), there are other tasks that can be made simpler while your tank is out. Spent almost every summer of my early life at Misquamicut. Your first post should have pictures of your Jeep. Shame on you!