TJs trying to look like a JL

ejay

TJ Addict
I saw a TJ today (didn't get a pic) that had thin, white lights on the flares at the front. At a distance trying to look like a JL. It looked stupid IMO. Has anyone else seen this? I know they make JL style flares for the JK but this is the first time I've seen it attempted on a TJ. It was a bolt on style kit too.

It could be worse. :rolleyes:
JK flares on tj (2).jpg

JK on tj.jpg

The plastic bumpers on the JK look bad enough let alone seeing them on the TJ.
Prior to purchasing my TJ; I owned a '11 JK and replaced the plastic bumpers with more functional steel bumpers.
Other than trying to save weight; I never did understand why Jeep put plastic bumpers on the Wrangler.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
The plastic bumpers on the JK look bad enough let alone seeing them on the TJ.
Prior to purchasing my TJ; I owned a '11 JK and replaced the plastic bumpers with more functional steel bumpers.
Other than trying to save weight; I never did understand why Jeep put plastic bumpers on the Wrangler.
Isn't the plastic just the huge end pieces?

Isn't the plastic just the huge end pieces?
end pieces and a center "wrap" of plastic. The bumpers are more like "modern" cars now, with bumper fascias to cover the reinforced "bumper" which is really just a cross member to protect the ends of the frame rails and prevent them from stabbing other cars in collisions

Actually, with a little more attention to detail, that first pic could be a decent way to DIY your own highlines. It doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would, thinking about JK flares on a TJ in my mind...
I say the same - not nearly as bad as I would have imagined thinking about it in my head. For those living in states with strict fender laws, it's a manageable work-around with cheap and easy to find replacement parts.

Reactions: Mike_H
I say the same - not nearly as bad as I would have imagined thinking about it in my head. For those living in states with strict fender laws, it's a manageable work-around with cheap and easy to find replacement parts.
Agreed! I actually like the JK flares more than the TJ flares. This has lots of potential imo

Reactions: Mike_H
I'd bet you could almost get the flares free, or nearly so.

Reactions: pc1p
This guy actually did a really nice custom set-up with his on his Jeep he restored from the ground up at the car show last year.
Not over the top, but notice the fender lights.
I agree though, personally not my cup of tea,
IMG_1684.JPG

Actually, with a little more attention to detail, that first pic could be a decent way to DIY your own highlines. It doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would, thinking about JK flares on a TJ in my mind...

Agree, the fenders fitting to the hood/grill/flares is actually surprisingly well done here if this is a home garage DIY.

Reactions: Jackman
Agree, the fenders fitting to the hood/grill/flares is actually surprisingly well done here if this is a home garage DIY.
I'm actually surprised by how much the JK plastic fenders look like CJ fenders. I never picked up on that before... Once I saw them with a more traditional grill, it hit me like a ton of bricks.

I never liked the JK look from the front. The short grill slots, fenders... never looked right to me. They fixed all of that with the JL and it looks great imo, probably because in my mind it looks more like a TJ. Something about moving the turn signals back to the front of the fenders. In fact, I frequently mistake two door JLs for TJs at night when all I can see is the headlights and general shape if they don't have the LED package.

Reactions: machoheadgames