To Line X or Not?

99GunMetalTJ

I recently purchased replacement fenders to replace the typically rusted out ones that I have. I'm trying to decide whether to just have them painted in the PQ7 Gunmetal Pearl and move about or have the entire body painted with Line X using the PQ7 paint code. Has anyone had any experience with Line X on body? It appears to be expensive as I was quoted $6500.00 by an authorized dealer here in NJ.

$6,500 for what exactly? U meant $650?

And you want to do the entire body?. I used raptor liner on mine and I'm very happy with the results. And you can have it tinted any color you want.

it's not rocket science to spray, you almost can't mess it up.

You could spray the entire body for less than $200. Something I'm not understanding?

I don't know.. I paid 750 for a full size truck bed a couple years ago. 6500 is way over priced! You could get a custom paint job for less than that! When the time comes I will now use raptor liner.

I once inquired with a Line-X shop what it would cost to just have my roll bars done and I was quoted at $500. Having the entire Jeep done would be costly but damn, when they say it like $6,500 that seems crazy. You could buy a whole other TJ for that much somewhere.

I did my previous YJ and my current TJ both with Monstaliner. Each was done for under $200 which includes liner kit and materials for prep (tape, MEK, and etc..). I have been extremely happy with the Monstaliner. It can be sprayed or rolled. We rolled both. Each was a fun weekend project.

I can see that it might cost $6,500 if you just drop it off and have them do everything. By "entire body" do you mean inside and out? Would they strip out the interior or would you do it? Either way it would involve a fair bit of masking.

I had the bed of my MJ done and was very satisfied with the results. It required very little prep work (by them) and the cost was $500 CDN. That was for the premium package which included a clear top coat that has UV protection. I just had a pair of trailer fenders done and the cost was $150. They were new galvanized fenders that they sandblasted and primed before spraying. In both cases I thought the price was fair.

I also got a cost on having my XJ sills and the body done from the side trim line down. They suggested that I do the interior sill plates done too. The cost would have been $700 which I thought was a bit steep compared to my MJ bed. The high cost was strictly based on the added prep time which included masking off the interior.

I bought a Stock YJ for hunting The reason my TJ was to nice to scratch. It cost me 1500 to spay the outside and Floor. That was cheaper than a paint job. 6500 they are out of their minds. Please don't ask me how much I ended up spending on her. My first build and I still have it. They liner has held up. I have been through some tough stuff with the jeep hunting.No scratches no cracks no dents.

498B7FFD-14F8-4362-9F65-6E8A0EA3538E.jpeg

750D3F71-9371-41FE-A7DC-24EB832EE15C.jpeg

7ED3CB67-B47C-441D-B226-37974FF857A8.jpeg

Reactions: Steel City 06
Holy crap. For that price, you can paint it several times.

Frankly I think it sort of lowers the value of a vehicle if you bedliner the entire body. At the very least it reduces the number of people interested in buying it from you.

I have bedliner sprayed on both bumpers, the flat fenders, rock sliders & tube doors. I can see the appeal of spraying the inside too. All things that I fully expect to be touching up with a spray can as I beat the Jeep up in the bush.

I recently purchased replacement fenders to replace the typically rusted out ones that I have. I'm trying to decide whether to just have them painted in the PQ7 Gunmetal Pearl and move about or have the entire body painted with Line X using the PQ7 paint code. Has anyone had any experience with Line X on body? It appears to be expensive as I was quoted $6500.00 by an authorized dealer here in NJ.

$6500??? Did you ask the guy if he was sniffing glue?

I paid $650 or so for a color match for the bed of my Silverado.

Since you’re in N.J., give the guys at the line x in northern Delaware a call. They are near the university of Delaware. Great to deal with and no sales tax!

And have fun cleaning that porous surface. No idea how Line-X became a thing, but it's a "thing" I wish would go away :ROFLMAO:
You should read about the line-x/rhino linings. They are not porous. They are actually th exact opposite of that. They are impenetrable.
Its the reason why they were so popular with the truck bed market.
Manufactures are now sub contracting to offer the sprayed liner in the truck bed as an option from the factory.

I may be wrong, but I doubt anyone who really does their product research really wants the plastic bed liners in their truck beds.

Sure, a quality professionally sprayed in bed liner has some considerable up front cost of $500-700 and requires some actual effort to clean (surface agitation by hand). In my opinion, they are worth every penny when compared to the old days of plastic liners that might fly out at a moments notice into your windshield.
1602FF4B-6E9F-480E-9F26-C77B989AD61D.jpeg

Reactions: Artemis
That shit looks dirty, disgusting, and nasty after a year
So do most peoples exterior car paint, car interior, glass, wheels, etc (the list could go on and on). However, a majority of the time, it’s people’s lack of paint care education, degree of laziness, and even more so, lack of care in maintaining something that requires an investment in upkeep to stay “presentable.”

Simply put, its not the product that looks, “bad.”

You should read about the line-x/rhino linings. They are not porous. They are actually th exact opposite of that. They are impenetrable.
Its the reason why they were so popular with the truck bed market.
Manufactures are now sub contracting to offer the sprayed liner in the truck bed as an option from the factory.

I may be wrong, but I doubt anyone who really does their product research really wants the plastic bed liners in their truck beds.

Sure, a quality professionally sprayed in bed liner has some considerable up front cost of $500-700 and requires some actual effort to clean (surface agitation by hand). In my opinion, they are worth every penny when compared to the old days of plastic liners that might fly out at a moments notice into your windshield.
View attachment 131577

Well, all I know is that any TJ I've seen that has had bed-liner sprayed down on the inside of it (including Line X, Rhino Liner, etc.) has looked terrible usually in under a year. Maybe there's some sort of new technology out there I'm not aware of, but I still don't see the point of it as far as Jeeps go.

But hey... maybe this is enough to convince @mrblaine to start applying Line-X to the interiors of all the TJs he builds :ROFLMAO:

Sorry... I couldn't resist ;)

When I had my MJ done about a year and a half ago I opted for the UV protection package that LINE-X offers. I was told it's Kevlar based and it's not supposed to fade. With my truck being black I figured it was worth the extra $100. If it was another colour, it turning a bit gray over time probably wouldn't have bothered me too much.

It had a factory plastic liner in it from new in 1988 and it did a good job. It had a pile of nicks and gouges in it but the bed was in great shape when I took it out. Thirty years of it rubbing against the paint actually reduced the prep time before LINE-X sprayed it. It definitely gets dirty but it cleans up easily when I pressure wash it. Jeep designed the bed with a number of drain holes and that helps a lot. One of my brothers has a year older El Camino and it has NO drainage! When it rains he runs out to drop the tailgate a bit so he doesn't wake up in the morning with a pool in the back.

19-04-15 5.JPG

Reactions: L J and Starrs