To lock or not

bruceco

TJ Enthusiast
Hi Guys
I bought my tj with the hardtop on.I just put the softop on and wondered how many leave there doors unlocked.It will be sitting in my laneway 95% of the time . I lock the tailgate and the doors now but heard with a softop you should just lock the console and glove compartment and leave the doors unlocked for scumbags.I am just building a rear area behind the seats to keep anything I care about like tools.Only entry with the tailgate unlocked.

If you value your soft top, don't leave anything in the Jeep you or anyone else would want, and do not lock the vehicle. Stupid thieves will not figure out they can unzip the windows, they will just slash them to see what's inside. Best practice is to leave it unlocked, with nothing inside to take. Or put the hard top back on, then lock the doors and tailgate.

The rear security box thing you are building should work for that kind of stuff...should...

I have the Tuffy underseat lock box, and anything I want to keep is in there. Soft top on, doors unlocked for me.

Unless you trust everyone in Canada to leave your stuff alone.

Last edited:
It is really your call, How do you feel in your neighborhood? When I had my JK, I lived in Tempe and caught a guy breaking into it. I kept it spotless and it was pointless. I got to beat the shit out of him, so it was worth it, but he did slash the rear window first. I was cool with it because I got to beat his ass, and I then ordered tinted windows to replace them, but now I live in Chandler, and have a TJ. A lot better rig, and a lot safer neighborhood, so I lock mine. I do keep it clean, or if it is full of gear I am not very far from it for any length of time.

I keep mine locked, but keep anything out of sight. I have heard people keep their jeeps unlocked, but really they are going to get into it one way or the other. My old YJ just had a bikini top, and I got some really shitty sad speakers stolen, but they left my nice 25LTD CB. I don't think you can prepare for everything. Some thieves may try the door, and look in and not see anything and move on others may slash your top to get a look. They are all assholes.

I have been leaving my TJ doors unlocked for 7 years.
The only thing stolen was a red pin for my fire extinguisher.
I have a hidden deer camera to one of them just for a giggle.

Never been vandalized. I told my kids when they use it not to lock it either, and so they make sure not leave their valuable stuff in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stanley
I leave mine unlocked, only thing thats ever happened is someone went through the center console a couple of times. Didn't even get the coffee money so I figured they are lofor wallets or garage door openers.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Infernicus
Leave mine unlocked, live in a decent neighborhood but car break ins happen every once and a while (usually just looking for cash / garage clickers), rather save the soft top. Always remove my head unit face, at best they could take my $30 dollar CB and a set of jumper cables if they wanted to... I keep all my wheeling supplies in the garage.

Curious on the forum members feedback if they have kill switches or pull fuses regularly... I do have minor concerns on Jeep theft; I have the grey chip keys, does that eliminate the issue?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

We really don't have much to worry about around here but i do keep the console lock, homes my 38 special.

With a soft top and in a area prone to crime.....keep it unlocked.
I've heard many stories where soft tops have been slashed.
No way to defeat trash. Lol

Thanks guys. I just got it on the road and live in a good neighourhood but there are ass-———--ls everywere.I will leave it unlocked and not leave any valuables in it. I was concerned about slashing the windows.Idiots can't even work a zipper.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Your question asks, "in a high crime area with a soft top, will the thieves just cut the top?"?? Probably, but ask your insurer the same question, ask if you leave the car unlocked will they cover the loss? OR if you lockup and the theives cut the roof, will you be covered? Ultimately it is their choice.

Ask about coverage when you leave your cell on the dash too.

Unlocked: At the beginning I worry about it, think of it a lot while I park, but then anxiety gets old and so I stopped worrying.
Now I don't even think about it. You will get used to it (not worrying) eventually. For the insurance coverage? Let them worry about it, I don't. They never asked me if I lock my jeep or not.

Last edited:
Unlocked. The only time I have anything of value in my jeep anymore is when I am wheeling. The first few times they were nice enough to just unzip my windows. Stole a bottle jack, a book of CDs, flashlight, tow strap, and a nice set of jumper cables. After learning my lesson the next couple of times someone just went thru the center console and glovebox. Left all my change. The last break in they slashed my soft upper even though I had my tonneau cover and safari top on:facepalm:

The insurance company would prefer you to leave it locked, as you'll have to pay them the deductible each and every time they smash the window, scratch the door trying to pick the lock or cut the soft top.
I also happen to live in one of the worst cities for auto break-ins. So that's good money for the insurance company.

I would think I'd rather have someone come in my Jeep, look around, see nothing of value and leave it as it was than them smashing it up and paying the vandalism deductible. Leaving it unlocked is the smartest thing to do IMO.

Having said that, of course, my official written/legal stance in case any insurance researchers use google, is that I always lock the doors.

When I had my JK, I lived in Tempe and caught a guy breaking into it.
That has to be a pretty intense situation, can't imagine catching someone in the act. Did you surprise him or did he see you coming?

Reactions: ac_