To lock or not

Never lock any doors or consoles or glovebox. I learned the hard way. Don't leave anything valuable in the Jeep. Also if you have the factory canvas owners manual case remove it as it looks like a purse. I had mine stolen.

That has to be a pretty intense situation, can't imagine catching someone in the act. Did you surprise him or did he see you coming?

It was a weird story actually. I was working really late one night like till 4AM, and I came home and parked on the street. I woke up at 6AM for some reason, and looked out the window. I was pretty groggy. At first glance, I saw the dude looking through the window, and thought, cool someone likes my Jeep, then his hand slipped in what I thought was in between the top and the front door. Then I lost my mind, and on 2 hours of sleep on close to a 24 hour work day, I lost my shit. I ran down 3 flights of stairs, and out the door, and hit the dude sideways from behind. He never saw it coming. Then he was on the ground, and I kicked him hard enough to get between him and my Jeep. Like it was my girlfriend haha. Then my girlfriend came out screaming something, but it was just noise to me at that point. He was still on the ground on his knees, and I started towards him again, and he rolled away got up and ran away.

I had to take my girlfriend to the airport in a couple hours after that, so I went back to bed to get some sleep, and when we came back out, I noticed he did indeed slash my rear window. I was pretty pissed, but I got what I felt was worth $200 (The Ass Kicking) from him, and upgraded the windows to tinted windows. (A must have here in AZ).

It was all so fast and such a blur, on the way to the airport my girlfriend told me he pulled a knife that is what she was yelling. I didn't see it, nor did I care at the time. I was going to beat that dude down.

It was a weird story actually. I was working really late one night like till 4AM, and I came home and parked on the street. I woke up at 6AM for some reason, and looked out the window. I was pretty groggy. At first glance, I saw the dude looking through the window, and thought, cool someone likes my Jeep, then his hand slipped in what I thought was in between the top and the front door. Then I lost my mind, and on 2 hours of sleep on close to a 24 hour work day, I lost my shit. I ran down 3 flights of stairs, and out the door, and hit the dude sideways from behind. He never saw it coming. Then he was on the ground, and I kicked him hard enough to get between him and my Jeep. Like it was my girlfriend haha. Then my girlfriend came out screaming something, but it was just noise to me at that point. He was still on the ground on his knees, and I started towards him again, and he rolled away got up and ran away.

I had to take my girlfriend to the airport in a couple hours after that, so I went back to bed to get some sleep, and when we came back out, I noticed he did indeed slash my rear window. I was pretty pissed, but I got what I felt was worth $200 (The Ass Kicking) from him, and upgraded the windows to tinted windows. (A must have here in AZ).

It was all so fast and such a blur, on the way to the airport my girlfriend told me he pulled a knife that is what she was yelling. I didn't see it, nor did I care at the time. I was going to beat that dude down.
Man that shit is crazy! I would have done the same this if I saw someone breaking in to my Jeep. Lol, like oh hell no!

If you had a gun, you probably shot the guy, and then you will regret it later even it is justified.

I never lock mine.
If I have small valuables I can lock them in the centre console or glovebox.

You get in the habit of taking what to need and taking it back out at the end of the day.

Hi Guys
I bought my tj with the hardtop on.I just put the softop on and wondered how many leave there doors unlocked.It will be sitting in my laneway 95% of the time . I lock the tailgate and the doors now but heard with a softop you should just lock the console and glove compartment and leave the doors unlocked for scumbags.I am just building a rear area behind the seats to keep anything I care about like tools.Only entry with the tailgate unlocked.

Been there, done that. KEEP IT UNLOCKED! If you keep anything of value, keep in a locked Tuffy type console and bolted down.
No sense in having your top cut open (even with zippers I’ve had mine cut) when you can save the hassle and just leave doors open. They go through your stuff and leave

Interesting, I guess Jeep at a time thought that the Wrangler didnt need door locks like most people here. The 88 Wrangler came with half doors and no lock cylinders in them or locking mechanism whatsoever from the factory. They are sought after with YJ guys.
B2FBB835-B0B0-41C2-B67C-89010DFB80DA.jpeg
E13FC408-82F3-46CB-90F5-BE4BD5A50B70.jpeg

Thanks guys. I just got it on the road and live in a good neighourhood but there are ass-———--ls everywere.
Good neighborhood is where the low-life people go steal and vandalize.
Bad neighborhood is where they double-triple lock everything.
...... and so anytime anywhere, I do not lock my TJs.

Last edited:
I normally lock mine but, last week when I went to work I forgot to lock it. My jeep was parked in a covered parking garage at work. I left work late (7:45 pm) last Friday and when I got in I saw that my glove box was open and my armrest was open. Apparently, someone went through it rambling. I normally don't leave anything in my jeep but this one particular day I had left my laptop in it, but it was all the way in the back and my jeep was backed in. Luckily they didn't take my backpack with my laptop in it. I'm assuming that isn't what they were wanting anyway. I'm thinking they were looking for a gun. I was told that it was a bunch of kids on those "birds" (scooters) riding through the garage and going through cars.