To lock or not

Amen, you need an airport to turn around. One thing we TJ owners are spoiled by, and that's fantastic maneuverability. Never,ever have trouble parking in one. And man you can wiggle through some woods, rocks, etc. That's a big part of a Jeeps' capability to me.
Now imagine a knuckle that allows 50 degrees of steering; problem solved.

• Love
Reactions: Wildman
I will agree that the front feels difficult to turn at the steering wheel. But this does not have much effect on the actual turning radius. It cannot be argued that a locked front somehow reduces the turning more than a locked rear.
I can lock my rubicon f/r independently and have experimented on easy trails. It seemed that it was harder to turn tight with only front locked vs only rear locked but at some point I realized it took just a little more effort on the steering wheel but it still turned tightly with the front only locked.

I can lock my rubicon f/r independently and have experimented on easy trails. It seemed that it was harder to turn tight with only front locked vs only rear locked but at some point I realized it took just a little more effort on the steering wheel but it still turned tightly with the front only locked.

The sensation is entirely in the steering wheel. Add hydro assist, and the steering wheel won't feel any different when the front is locked.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
Since I have ARB's & a t-case that I can do front digs with I'll throw my $0.03 worth in.

I don't lock up until I need it. If I'm coming up to a spot that looks hard or I know it is from being there before I'll lock the rear and normally only lock the front when I'm seriously struggling. When I'm hitting tight turns I'll engage the front & take the rear drive out and now make a quick turn without doing the normal 3-5 point turn.

When it's really wet out I'll lock the rear and run most of the trail with the rear locked to try and not tare up the trail more since the FS uses this as reasons to close certain trails when they are really wet.
I don't lock the front alone much unless I'm doing front digs.