To winch or not to winch

Zhillslady

TJ Enthusiast
Getting winch opinions now that I'm getting my 4 wheel drive repaired. I've toyed with the idea since I got the jeep but couldn't convince myself I'd ever need. Yesterday son in law called from the flea market to say he buried daughters ford focus in mud and could I see if I could pull it out. So assume I know nothing of jeep winches (cause I don't), what is involved in adding a winch to my wangler? Thanks in advance.

Oh and whoever recommended that Tom Woods sight thanks you - I'm ordering a new front drive shaft from him.

Reactions: Chris
Installing a winch is actually pretty darned easy, it's just heavy. Bolt the winch onto a winch mounting plate, then bolt the winch mounting plate with the winch in place onto the top of the bumper and bolt it down. The bolts that hold it on top of the bumper replace the bumper mounting bolts on top which thread down into the frame.

You'll want four new Grade 5 or Grade 8 1/2x13 bolts that are about 1" longer than the factory top bumper bolts you remove with a T-55 torx wrench. Remove one of the top bumper bolts and just take it to a well equipped hardware store to find one an inch longer that has the 1/2x13 thread. Remember it must be Grade 5 or Grade 8 so far as its strength goes.

Then connect the two winch power leads to the battery and you're done. Very easy. When you actually get ready to do this, we can offer more specific info if/when you need it.

Oh, you want a winch that is rated somewhere between 8,000 lbs. minimum and 9,500 lbs. or so at the top end of pulling power. If budget is not an issue, Warn and their M8000 would be a great choice at the lower cost end of their broad line of winches.

Last edited:
FWIW, I winched a guy out yesterday that had a non-working Quadratech winch with my Warn M8000. There are some great warranties out there, but the replacement winch won't help you a week after getting stuck. He's lucky he flagged us down too, because we were out in the middle of nowhere, and it was getting close to dark. I was checking Craigslist for over a year before I found the deal on this one.

Jerry can i use my stock bumper? Son in law is not a jeep person but said looks like I'd need to buy bumper with a winch plate then add winch but if I read your note correctly I could add a winch plate to existing stock bumper?

Installing a winch is actually pretty darned easy, it's just heavy. Bolt the winch onto a winch mounting plate, then bolt the winch mounting plate with the winch in place onto the top of the bumper and bolt it down. The bolts that hold it on top of the bumper replace the bumper mounting bolts on top which thread down into the frame.

You'll want four new Grade 5 or Grade 8 1/2x13 bolts that are about 1" longer than the factory top bumper bolts you remove with a T-55 torx wrench. Remove one of the top bumper bolts and just take it to a well equipped hardware store to find one an inch longer that has the 1/2x13 thread. Remember it must be Grade 5 or Grade 8 so far as its strength goes.

Then connect the two winch power leads to the battery and you're done. Very easy. When you actually get ready to do this, we can offer more specific info if/when you need it.

Oh, you want a winch that is rated somewhere between 8,000 lbs. minimum and 9,500 lbs. or so at the top end of pulling power. If budget is not an issue, Warn and their M8000 would be a great choice at the lower cost end of their broad line of winches.

Jerry can i use my stock bumper? Son in law is not a jeep person but said looks like I'd need to buy bumper with a winch plate then add winch but if I read your note correctly I could add a winch plate to existing stock bumper?

The OEM bumper can be utilized with any number of bolt on winch plates. They bolt up directly to where the tow hooks are and typically the tow hooks are re-installed on top of the winch plate with longer bolts

The OEM bumper can be utilized with any number of bolt on winch plates. They bolt up directly to where the tow hooks are and typically the tow hooks are re-installed on top of the winch plate with longer bolts

I will look at mine closely tonight. I recall bolts in the bumper but no tow hooks. May be I need to add those as well. This jeep is like 90% new parts since I bought it in Oct so tow hooks are a minor thing to add.

I will offer a winch option here. If weight is an issue, and your budget can swing it, go for the 9000S. Lighter weight and you won't have the risk of the cable taking someones head off if it snaps or something else breaks.

http://wranglertjforum.com/threads/engo-winches-at-allens-offroad.129/

Also, you may want to use a couple 1/2" dia washer in the back bolt hole on the plate to make the plate level. I did this on my '03 rubicon when I had it. Also available at time of purchase: winch cover $13.00, wireless remote for $22.50, 8T snatch block for $18.00, and a TJ/YJ channel mount for 61.25.

Have a blessed and prosperous day!

Allen

http://www.xf_vendor_spam_managemen...ctric-winches/Engo-Tj-YJ-Winch-Mount-65-10002 $61.25 shipped with winch purchase. :)

Allen

AOR I sent you a message with some extra questions.

I will offer a winch option here. If weight is an issue, and your budget can swing it, go for the 9000S. Lighter weight and you won't have the risk of the cable taking someones head off if it snaps or something else breaks.

http://wranglertjforum.com/threads/engo-winches-at-allens-offroad.129/

Also, you may want to use a couple 1/2" dia washer in the back bolt hole on the plate to make the plate level. I did this on my '03 rubicon when I had it. Also available at time of purchase: winch cover $13.00, wireless remote for $22.50, 8T snatch block for $18.00, and a TJ/YJ channel mount for 61.25.

Have a blessed and prosperous day!

Allen

Tow hooks are easy and pretty cheap to add. Go to the local farm store and buy four of them @ about $10 each. Get the 10,000 pound one's and the bolt pattern matches right up to the existing bolt holes in the front bumper. The other two go on the frame in the back. One hole is already there and you will need to drill another. There is a slot in the bottom of the frame to get the nuts and washer on the bolts. Don't bolt all the way through the frame, just through one side. That will give you four attachment points that are strong enough to be useful. Two in the front and two in the back.

http://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/front-tow-hooks-jpeg.1902/

http://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/rear-tow-hooks-jpeg.1903/

Last edited:
X2 to what StG58 recommended. Make sure the bolts you select are Grade 8, don't use standard common bolts for tow hooks. The thread size you want is 1/2x13.

Reactions: Chris