Tom Wood's Facebook post (Eddie Oh from Wayalife is an asshole)

With all due respect to Eddie Oh, which is pretty much none, the thread I saw on Wayalife asked people to measure to the shoulder of their tire when at 30 psi with the tire mounted and on the ground. I think he was trying for "consistent" data by using the same parameters each time in an attempt to make some real world comparison to published tire sizes.

It looked like a complete waste of time to me, especially since Eddie seemed oblivious to the fact that the weight on the axle and the tire's load rating impacted the measurement he was seeking. As usual, Eddie has deleted all of the posts critical of his methodology, but you can still find traces of them in quoted text here and there.

I can appreciate the effort to get consistent data. But considering none of our Jeeps weight the same and tire gauges aren't that accurate. It would still be more consistant to measure the spare tire or a tire that has no load on it. If you really want to be accurate, use a flexible tape measure like a seamstress would use and measure tire cirmcumference and divide by Pi (3.14). That would eliminate any error in trying to eyeball where the top of the tire is.

Anyway, back on topic.

To be clear. I don't want to pile on Eddie just because its easy to criticize people. We all have our faults. I guess I just wanted to add my opinion so people are aware of incorrect information coming from Eddie (and others.) One of the videos I saw he was also praising the Rancho control arms and trackbar for how much they improved the ride and handling of his Jeep. It was visible in the video that the Jeep handled some rough sections of road noticably better with the Rancho stuff. But it was also visible that the speedometer was showing he was driving about half as fast. I only say this to point out it would appear he does go out of his way to make sure his sponsors products are shown in a favorable light.

(Full disclosure. I have Rancho D2 control arms and I am happy with them.)

Kind of a bummer to read this about Eddie. I just got back into the Jeep world after a 6 year hiatus and discovered his channel. I enjoy his youtube channel, great shots of awesome Jeeps and he seems pretty chill. It's definitely clear that he favors certain products but he seems to disclose his relationships. Hopefully there's a little more to the story but I get that you can make yourself look good on your own youtube channel and be a jerk IRL. Anyone got any good Jeep youtube channels they recommend?

Kind of a bummer to read this about Eddie. I just got back into the Jeep world after a 6 year hiatus and discovered his channel. I enjoy his youtube channel, great shots of awesome Jeeps and he seems pretty chill. It's definitely clear that he favors certain products but he seems to disclose his relationships. Hopefully there's a little more to the story but I get that you can make yourself look good on your own youtube channel and be a jerk IRL. Anyone got any good Jeep youtube channels they recommend?

I still watch Eddie once in awhile, despite having some reservations about his character. As I said above, he does produce enjoyable videos. I'm sure he makes a little money producing them, but I don't think you are going to make him a rich scumbag by watching his videos. It would seem to me that he is also a real Jeep guy. If you watch closely when he is in his garage, you will see he has 5 or 6 stalls and each one has a different vintage Jeep in it. (Hmm, maybe he is already a rich scumbag:unsure:) So he is not just a JK (and now JL) guy. Of course with that said, you have to watch it knowing some guys have more money than you.

I get kind of depressed sometimes watching these videos where I see guys throw a $10,000 suspension into a $60,000 JL without batting an eye at the cost of it. Eddie is not the only one I've seen do that either. Sometimes its product from sponsors, but some guys just have the money too. I don't begrudge them for what they have. I wish I had more funds too. Its just hard sometimes to face the real world and live within my means when I see others doing these dream builds.... Anyway, sorry for my little pity party. Back on topic.

As far as video channels:

One of my favorite overland channels is Expedition Overland. I think his best video is one of his first videos where he goes up to Alaska with his wife and a few other friends. Its enjoyable scenery and enjoyable to watch the friendship between everyone. But all of his videos are very well produced. He is mostly a Toyota guy, but he has recently picked up a Gladiator, so we will be seeing more of that.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ExpeditionOverland
Another one that I really like is Trailrecon. He is a Jeep guy. He does a good job as well with great video footage as well as some instructional videos. He usually travels with a core group of guys and hits trails in CA and some in CO.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEEgz9PD6iTRSB0VXNbWvRw

Thanks I'll have to check those channels out!

As for the Jeep envy, don't envy these people, I'm pretty sure 90% of these JL people throwing 80k into a Jeep are making themselves broke over it. I blame these idiots for JL's costing so much to begin with. Good thing about it though, it forced me to get another TJ instead, and I know I made the right choice :)

That being said when the diesel Gladiator arrives my Ridgeline is NOT gonna like the crazy look in my eye.

I still watch Eddie once in awhile, despite having some reservations about his character. As I said above, he does produce enjoyable videos. I'm sure he makes a little money producing them, but I don't think you are going to make him a rich scumbag by watching his videos. It would seem to me that he is also a real Jeep guy. If you watch closely when he is in his garage, you will see he has 5 or 6 stalls and each one has a different vintage Jeep in it. (Hmm, maybe he is already a rich scumbag:unsure:) So he is not just a JK (and now JL) guy. Of course with that said, you have to watch it knowing some guys have more money than you.

I get kind of depressed sometimes watching these videos where I see guys throw a $10,000 suspension into a $60,000 JL without batting an eye at the cost of it. Eddie is not the only one I've seen do that either. Sometimes its product from sponsors, but some guys just have the money too. I don't begrudge them for what they have. I wish I had more funds too. Its just hard sometimes to face the real world and live within my means when I see others doing these dream builds.... Anyway, sorry for my little pity party. Back on topic.

As far as video channels:

One of my favorite overland channels is Expedition Overland. I think his best video is one of his first videos where he goes up to Alaska with his wife and a few other friends. Its enjoyable scenery and enjoyable to watch the friendship between everyone. But all of his videos are very well produced. He is mostly a Toyota guy, but he has recently picked up a Gladiator, so we will be seeing more of that.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ExpeditionOverland
Another one that I really like is Trailrecon. He is a Jeep guy. He does a good job as well with great video footage as well as some instructional videos. He usually travels with a core group of guys and hits trails in CA and some in CO.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEEgz9PD6iTRSB0VXNbWvRw

As for the Jeep envy, don't envy these people, I'm pretty sure 90% of these JL people throwing 80k into a Jeep are making themselves broke over it. ...

That being said when the diesel Gladiator arrives my Ridgeline is NOT gonna like the crazy look in my eye.

My wife does a good job of reminding me how much debt people carry any time I have envy and I can't figure out how people can afford all the stuff they have. I'd rather have my debt free LJ than debt on a JL. I could end up with a 4 door JK as second jeep in the future though. Just because the 4 doors would be nice on vacation with the kids.

I don't think that Ridgeline has much to offer against a Gladiator. Other than its a lot cheaper.

Reactions: xxdabroxx and Chris
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQHpNTD6GxtNe8HanFW8dnw

I have a friend that really enjoys Lite Brite. I don't really care of them. I think the woman needs to talk a little less. Her mouth just runs on and on. I'd like to hear some of what her husband has to say too.

I have a friend that really enjoys Lite Brite. I don't really care of them. I think the woman needs to talk a little less. Her mouth just runs on and on. I'd like to hear some of what her husband has to say too.

I liked their early videos before they started getting sponsored. Every video after that seemed like an ad and I got tired. Plus the non-stop "there you go" from the lady in every damn video, and the general direction of their build and products used. Haven't watched them in a long while now.

I enjoy Wayalife's stuff, in fact enjoy most of the Jeep content out there.

What's going down is simple business. The builds are to see who can get in first and built the biggest and best vehicle in the quest for views. Notice how all of the larger channels have found a need to have a Gladiator or step out of the Jeep world and see how many new Toyota Supra's are being built.

Then theres Stradman, he's building a 6wd Hellephant Engined Gladiator. He couldn't get the Hellephant engine straight away so put in a Hellcat engine. Did a burnout and broke a rear axle on it's first outing.

A very strange world out there.

Can those guys really bring in enough money from youtube to pay for that stuff though? Can youtube bring in enough money that it is actually a business model as a sole source of income for those guys? I can understand the expenditures if they are actually able to burn through that money as part of a business expense. But that would have to be at least tens of thousands or maybe even hundreds of thousands a year to justify that expense Just how much money can a series of youtube videos bring in?

I remember reading the how to articles on wayolife a decade ago and they were helpful. But if this Eddie character is really that big of an insecure control freak then it's just sad and pathetic.

As far as these guys who throw a crap ton of expensive "just released" kits at brand new vehicles? Yawn, boring. Most of them are living on credit beyond their means and it'll all come crashing down one day. I like builds with realistic budgets or restorations of older classics.

Last edited:
Can those guys really bring in enough money from youtube to pay for that stuff though? Can youtube bring in enough money that it is actually a business model as a sole source of income for those guys? I can understand the expenditures if they are actually able to burn through that money as part of a business expense. But that would have to be at least tens of thousands or maybe even hundreds of thousands a year to justify that expense Just how much money can a series of youtube videos bring in?

He has the youtube channel, which probably doesn't bring in that much money. Then he has the forum which he runs ads on. That probably brings in a little more (I'm not sure about exactly how much ads bring in on either youtube or forums).

He probably makes most of his money with sponsored content. Oftentimes, Eddie uploads what are essentially ads for specific companies such as dynatrac. Combine that income with the fact that most of the parts he puts on his Jeep are given to him, and you've figured out how he has so many Jeeps with nice parts. It is all a business, and while the cash flow to Eddie might not be that large, the value of parts given to him is fairly large.

He can also live in a fairly low cost of living area since his work is essentially remote. You can figure out how to make a living if you have influence in pretty much any industry. Eddie is probably one of the most influential people within Jeeps no matter how you view him. I'm not a fan, but he has certainly made a living out of it.

Just hire the "Sham Wow" guy to pretend he is you.

101033414-vinceshamwow_r.jpg

Or maybe for former Dell dude. I hear both of them are currently unemployed. Maybe they will work cheap.

dell-dude-1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney
YouTubers make serious cash. Been in that world and I know the numbers.

Aside from the money YT pays for the views, which is a lot, a sponsored product video from a vendor easily can go for $5,000 - $10,000. That’s not including any Amazon affiliate money and other product commissions that are usually part of the contract with the sponsor.

Someone like a Doug DeMuro is easily making over $1 million a year doing his crappy car reviews and doing Doug scores.

YouTubers make serious cash. Been in that world and I know the numbers.

Aside from the money YT pays for the views, which is a lot, a sponsored product video from a vendor easily can go for $5,000 - $10,000. That’s not including any Amazon affiliate money and other product commissions that are usually part of the contract with the sponsor.

Someone like a Doug DeMuro is easily making over $1 million a year doing his crappy car reviews and doing Doug scores.

Doug DeMuro... ugh, can't stand that dude.

I could likely make a few bucks here and there if I had the personality that allowed me to monetize what I know about how to build stuff. I just can't find it within me to do so. Takes all sorts I guess.

You should go for it. We need a good TJ channel out there!

You don't have to have a talk show host personality, people like us gobble up people who just like to share their knowledge in earnest.

Don’t want to get flamed or anything. I’m not sure where I stand on this whole thing. There seems to be some miscommunication and selective memories or jumping to conclusions on both sides...So I won’t comment on it.

Eddie is a master at marketing himself and his forum and it shows. Not sure what if anything, he does for an actual living besides the web stuff, but I’m sure the internet pays well. It’s his world and his business on how he runs it. Don’t necessarily agree with some of the antics we hear about with regards to how he treats companies and such. If true.

I will say that I just spent 2 days in his company last week when they wheeled my area. Didn’t know how he was going to come off. I figured he’d come off as an asshole in person due to all the negativity you hear about. But that wasn’t the case. He seemed to be somewhat decent and easy to get along with. Granted, it was only 2 days and I was guiding a bunch of different people that were there for the JL JT Experience so maybe if it were longer I’d see some other personality traits that were negative, but whenever I interacted with him or his wife, they were decent people.

Don’t want to get flamed or anything. I’m not sure where I stand on this whole thing. There seems to be some miscommunication and selective memories or jumping to conclusions on both sides...So I won’t comment on it.

Eddie is a master at marketing himself and his forum and it shows. Not sure what if anything, he does for an actual living besides the web stuff, but I’m sure the internet pays well. It’s his world and his business on how he runs it. Don’t necessarily agree with some of the antics we hear about with regards to how he treats companies and such. If true.

I will say that I just spent 2 days in his company last week when they wheeled my area. Didn’t know how he was going to come off. I figured he’d come off as an asshole in person due to all the negativity you hear about. But that wasn’t the case. He seemed to be somewhat decent and easy to get along with. Granted, it was only 2 days and I was guiding a bunch of different people that were there for the JL JT Experience so maybe if it were longer I’d see some other personality traits that were negative, but whenever I interacted with him or his wife, they were decent people.

Good perspective.
I’ve never seen any of his YT or anyone’s for that matter. Not my tea (social media besides this forum)