Tone Ring Installation Help - Rugged Ridge Mega Short SYE Kit

tcrop

Hi Friends,

I've been installing the Rugged Ridge Mega Short SYE kit on my '99 TJ today (NP231 transfer case). Everything has been going well, until I got to the tone ring installation for the magnetic speed sensor.

I should note that I have the instructions and have read them, however they are quite vague in places which has led to me questioning if there's a bit left out in the process of installing the tone ring.
<https://static.thiecommerce.com/ass...6_72_pdf/d1860bbf8cd48831b38a87ef0049bda2.pdf>

The instructions say to install the tone ring on top of the oil pump housing. If I were to do this, once I've put everything together and torque the yoke retainer bolt, it appears that the tone ring will be hard up against the oil pump housing. This doesn't seem correct to me, as the oil pump housing doesn't rotate, the yoke does, and the tone ring would then be squished between those two pieces. (Shown below, with output housing removed)
position no circlip.jpg

There is a recess just in front of the spline that the oil pump meshes to which seems like a circlip would fit in to. (Shown below, with output housing removed)

oil pump circlip recess.jpg

A circlip would leave a small space between the oil pump housing and the tone ring and then allow the yoke to torque against the tone ring, marrying it with the movement of the shaft. (Shown below, with output housing removed)

position with circlip.jpg

Is this what is supposed to happen? Is a circlip strong enough to torque the yoke and tone ring against (at ~180-200 ftlbs)?

Thanks for any and all help or suggestions.

The instructions do not mention using any circlip after the oil pump is put back in place...but I have to wonder if it needs to be there.

Looks like the tone ring has a collar, is that supposed to be facing forward against the inner part of the oil pump that does rotate? I imagine it's solved by now given the age of this thread but OP didn't come back with the resolution.

Looks like the tone ring has a collar, is that supposed to be facing forward against the inner part of the oil pump that does rotate? I imagine it's solved by now given the age of this thread but OP didn't come back with the resolution.
the rugged ridge instructions say the collar is supposed to go towards the yoke. I had guessed it should be the other way as well, but the instructions say otherwise.
1638638276664.png

In looking at the Teraflex super short, it's virtually identical to this and they make no mention of a snap ring in their install instructions either.

the rugged ridge instructions say the collar is supposed to go towards the yoke. I had guessed it should be the other way as well, but the instructions say otherwise. View attachment 294267

In looking at the Teraflex super short, it's virtually identical to this and they make no mention of a snap ring in their install instructions either.
Fair enough. I used a JB conversions kit and don't recall any snaprings there, but it's been a couple years. I do recall it going together just fine according to their instructions though. 🤷

Reactions: chimmike
Fair enough. I used a JB conversions kit and don't recall any snaprings there, but it's been a couple years. I do recall it going together just fine according to their instructions though. 🤷
I'm just concerned for the same reason as OP above; the tone ring is right against the oil pump. Teraflex's video says it's OK that the ring spins freely, it'll get pinched tight after torquing the yoke on. Worst case is I have to pop the yoke off in the jeep and add the snap ring. Easy enough.

so, yoke in, and several ugga-duggas later it seems to spin freely without hearing any binding or bad noises. Will verify torque with my torque wrench, of course.