Land Rover Green Rubicon Build

A. Paul

Guy who sold his jeep
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I got this Jeep less than a year ago in June, most of work had already been done it. I normally wouldn't buy a jeep with this much work done to it already, but for the price and the mileage (140,000 km) 86k miles for my southern friends,it was hard to pass up. It was originally sold in Calgary Alberta Canada, however, he Jeep spent most of its life in Yuma Arizona as it was flat towed behind a motor home down there during the cold months of the year up here. As a result its never seen salt, and I intend to keep it that way.

Last edited:
As it sits today, during my ownership I've;
Removed the light bar, bushwacker flares, CAI.
Added the hood visor, stock flares, ARB Compressor, Cruise control,
and lots of other miscellaneous things that don't currently come to mind.

The most recent modification, transmission temperature gauge. I began with using a ford design inspired auto meter gauge as I found it matched the factory look better than other ones I could find.
Here it is mounted.

Next is to find a T fitting that I will mount on the exit line of the transmission.

I installed some switches, one will be wired to the locker bypass, and the other will be wired to the door chime so I don't have to pull the fuse when the doors are off.

Then I added wires for the gauge so I can plug it in when I get the sender, I then wired up the switches and the gauge light and put it back in the jeep

I had to remove one red cover as it interfered with the parking brake handle, not a big deal though as the door chime switch won't do any damage if it accidentally flipped off.

Last edited:
I then added new winch cable, the old one was kinked so I didn't feel safe using it, decided to go with steel as in the past I have not enjoyed washing synthetic rope after use.

I then after receiving the last switch cover, finished the wiring for my overhead panel and put the interior back together

Lot of progress for one day, hopefully next I can finish replacing my A/C compressor pulley and have it actually run.

PICT0581.JPG

Last edited:
Is the factory color really called "mystery green"? I have to say, this might just be one of my favorite colors they made on a TJ Rubicon. You definitely don't see many of them.

Is the factory color really called "mystery green"? I have to say, this might just be one of my favorite colors they made on a TJ Rubicon. You definitely don't see many of them.

I have no idea what the color is (mystery), door code says shale green, but it's obviously been repainted another color. Does look good though.

Last edited:
I have no idea what the color is (so its a mystery) lol, door code says shale green, but its obviously been repainted another color. Does look good though.

Oh, that's why! The factory color is called shale green, that's right. I knew it was slipping my mind.

Either way, it really looks damn good. That's such a nice color of green.

Reactions: A. Paul
Last edited:
Reactions: Fouledplugs
Possibly, Here's some close ups, you can see the contrast in the 1st photo to the original shale green. Knowing its not original, I don't feel as bad scratching it in the bush;)

View attachment 81844

View attachment 81845

I wish the photo quality was better, but my phone is quite outdated.
Wow, I can see the difference. I like the color of it now. Glad you see it as a way to not feel bad about scratching it.

Wow, I can see the difference. I like the color of it now. Glad you see it as a way to not feel bad about scratching it.

Due to the heavy brush up here, scratches are almost inevitable. I wax her before every trip to minimize it but at the end of the day its unlikely you don't end up with what we call "rocky mountain pinstriping."

Sharp looking rig. I am digging the color as well as everyone else.

I'd say one thing to do if you havent already is cycle your axle with the springs removed and determine if your bumpstops are correct. I feel its something most overlook or simply dont do.

Sharp looking rig. I am digging the color as well as everyone else.

I'd say one thing to do if you havent already is cycle your axle with the springs removed and determine if your bumpstops are correct. I feel its something most overlook or simply dont do.

Thanks! will do

Drooling over this AEV LJ

When I realized, my jeep is the same color.

Finally, I've figured it out and renamed the thread accordingly. Turns out it's "Tonga Green" a land rover color found on defenders, range rovers and such.

Last edited:
Just a quick update, 2 things;
New camera, a real camera. Was gifted a Nikon D80 so hopefully once I learn how to use it properly photos will improve.
Secondly, I picked up a compass temp mirror out of an old suburban, and put it in, yet to figure out the wiring though.