Tons of JK's in my area and TJs seem to be few

Interestingly enough I see TJ's all over the place in the streets of SF, don't get me wrong there are a fair amount of JK's but within the distance I walk my dog I probably pass 4-5 TJs. Still see a fair amount of YJs around too.

I'd say for here:
50 to 1 JK's to TJ's at least - JK's are everywhere! Starting to see some JL's too.
150 to 1 JK's to YJ's - a friend just bought a cheaper YJ, some still on the road here, but not many.
70 to 1 JK's to XJ's - seem to see a few XJ's around here, a couple nice ones, but most are really rusted out.

Pecking order around here, from my observations:

1. JKUs
2. TJs
3. JKs
4. XJs
5. JLUs
6. YJs
6. LJs (rarest in these parts)

I am amazed people get rid of cars in 10y. Good for used car shoppers I suppose. I still have my other car, a Mazda Protege from 1999. I plan to keep that one along with the TJ as long as I can.

My close friend wanted to drive my TJ when we went for lunch, so we swapped cars. I drove his Mazda CX-5 (2018 model). I was so disconnected from the road it was very disconcerting for a while when I was driving, never really got used to it. There were like a million buttons on the dash and the steering wheel. The car kept beeping at me every time I tried to change lanes (blind spot and/or proximity sensor). The seats were firm and plush and about the only thing I liked. It is so easy to zone out driving one of these type of SUVs, which is why I suppose it has lane assist and semi-self driving and other stuff. I am still single, but I truly shudder at the thought of buying a future SUV if get married and needs change. I think this part of the reason why the JKUs are popular. I need to find someone that has a JKU and drive one ...

Keeping older cars is the best financial choice but it will change lol

Nothing beats the peace of mind knowing you are driving a safe reliable vehicle across state lines with your family in tow.

If I was single I would remove the rear seat and drive my TJ all over the the Sierras. If I brake down on the side of the road I would pop a cold one and try to figure out what to do. Now I feel it's my responsibility for my family to feel as comfortable as possible when I drag them to camp, explore, and fish. Now I even carry a heater for the tent lol

Out here in St. Louis JKU's are all over. I was just driving around the other day and commented "wow every Jeep I see is a JKU". And you know who's behind the wheel? Soccer moms of course!

Yea, TJs are relatively rare where I live, but I'm guessing that's because I'm in the city. I was in Glasgow, KY recently and was surprised at how many TJs I saw considering how small that town was.

But I suppose it's just natural to happen. Hell, I remember being a kid and playing the "Punch Buggy" game every time you saw a VW Beetle, but I don't know if kids can really do that anymore. I guess part of it is the new-new Beetles (The Beetle A5?), but the original bugs are almost non-existent and even the re-designed ones that were made up through 2011 are getting pretty rare.

Na man, it was an unlimited with 2 doors. Thats what I mean, it blew my mind. Not sure if it was a custom job or factory but it looked totally badass, like an "LJL".

Kinda like this: https://www.rubitrux.com/2016-jeep-wrangler-2-door-unlimited-conversion.html

Oh, now that's weird! The 4 door models are called the "Unlimited", but this was a 2-door custom job? That's crazy.

I guess someone wasn't wasting any time since those JLs are still pretty new. I'm not sure I like that look, but that's definitely original.

Reactions: EJD
Oh, now that's weird! The 4 door models are called the "Unlimited", but this was a 2-door custom job? That's crazy.

I guess someone wasn't wasting any time since those JLs are still pretty new. I'm not sure I like that look, but that's definitely original.
Yeah it was done so nicely that I thought Jeep was bringing back the original 2 door unlimited for the JL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I'd say for here:
50 to 1 JK's to TJ's at least - JK's are everywhere! Starting to see some JL's too.
150 to 1 JK's to YJ's - a friend just bought a cheaper YJ, some still on the road here, but not many.
70 to 1 JK's to XJ's - seem to see a few XJ's around here, a couple nice ones, but most are really rusted out.

This is about how I feel, but maybe not 50 to 1, maybe 35 to 1. There are a TON of new Jeep Wrangler based Jeeps, to the point the wave is ridiculous. I would be waving all the time and I don't like that because the popularity of Jeeps around here is nuts.

Keeping older cars is the best financial choice but it will change lol

Nothing beats the peace of mind knowing you are driving a safe reliable vehicle across state lines with your family in tow.

If I was single I would remove the rear seat and drive my TJ all over the the Sierras. If I brake down on the side of the road I would pop a cold one and try to figure out what to do. Now I feel it's my responsibility for my family to feel as comfortable as possible when I drag them to camp, explore, and fish. Now I even carry a heater for the tent lol

Well I have AAA with free towing up to 100 miles, so that is enough for me. If I am taking a real trip I take my Audi. Love my TJ though.

I probably pass 50 JKU's on the road for every TJ. The TJ sightings are rare enough that every time I see one I scream 'TJ' much to the bewilderment of anyone that is in the passenger seat at the time. I can't help it, it's an involuntary reaction and I even do it when I'm alone :rolleyes:.

Literally just happened about 30 minutes ago, my daughter & I went to the supermarket & on the way a TJ passed us in the opposite lane, this is what occurred next:

Me: "TJ"

Daughter: "annoyed look on face"

I understand your pain. Here its like there was no such thing as a jeep before the JK. I drive my TJ everywhere and hardly see TJ's.

Heck I'm a proud new owner of a 2003 Rubicon and I wouldn't trade it for any Jk… may get a JK at some point but I just like the Tj and the Yj's better. And the 4 door? its just not right :)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ