Tool Kit Critique

Midnight LJR

In search of Rubicon flares.
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Ok so I am braking out the gear I have in the Jeep into a a few basics categories.

Tools
Electrical
Recovery
Fluids/Spare parts
First Aid

So a few things that seem to be missing here might be included in another category.

I am looking for any feedback anyone wants to give on something I might be forgetting or something that seems obviously redundant.

I know I have slightly more sizes than I need in sockets but like to have a complete set in case someone else needs something.

The base of the kit is based around the fact that I use 3/8” in the garage the majority of the time so I got a complete kit for 3/8”

it has every size from
6mm-24mm, and 1/4”-1” in shallow and deep. I also have the same sizes in wrenches.

added extras are
3/8” - 1/2” adapter
1/2” breaker bar
36mm socket and a 6” ext.
12 & 13mm 12 points for unit bearding and track bar bolt.

Also a complete set of torx including the security bits in case I have any ignition problems.

445ABCA8-636B-40C3-A12F-AD9C5613CFC9.jpeg
DE66C6F2-6123-4FB3-A174-45902AC7C65B.jpeg

Then I have all my misc pliers screwdrivers etc. not shown in the picture because I just added them are a small wire brush and two stubby screwdrivers because I find myself using those quite often.

0B9E89DA-B4DB-4901-A252-7DCAB56154EB.jpeg

Here it all is a buttoned up and ready for travel. It packs up quite nice. I was willing to give up a little space to be more organized.
F665AC33-3FB6-4F9A-869F-A1C16370B5F9.jpeg

It looks like you have a very complete kit.

Are you carrying two breaker bars? Am I seeing one on the bench and another in the lid of the red socket case?

If you were looking to lighten your load you might reconsider carrying the line wrench set.

Also your set of torx screwdrivers could most likely be replaced by a quality magnetic screw driver that accepts hex bits.
These hex bits could cover your well considered need for security bits located in the steering column.

Check your jeep for the four or five torx sizes needed, carry those, and you might be able to ditch the gray case.

I might add a rat tail file and a large pair of regular vise grips. Also, I prefer a larger pry bar and a big ass screwdriver.
These are just personal preferences based on my experience.

No criticism, just possible suggestions. I’d be happy to wheel with someone this well equipped!

Last edited:
That looks like a good setup. I agree with @jgaz on losing the torx screwdiver and regular screwdriver set and replace with magnetic bit holder and various common, phillips and torx bits. Also only carrying the 3/8 drive torx bits that you need. I've found that some of my old medication bottles make good containers for carrying things like bits and small items.

I'd like to whittle down my set of tools. I know I have some socket and wrench sizes that I don't need. But short of going around 1 nut and bolt at a time, I'm not sure what I can get rid of.

Does anyone know what the most common sizes are on TJ/LJ's

It looks like you have a very complete kit.

Are you carrying two breaker bars? Am I seeing one on the bench and another in the lid of the red socket case?

If you were looking to lighten your load you might reconsider carrying the line wrench set.

Also your set of torx screwdrivers could most likely be replaced by a quality magnetic screw driver that accepts hex bits.
These hex bits could cover your well considered need for security bits located in the steering column.

Check your jeep for the four or five torx sizes needed, carry those, and you might be able to ditch the gray case.

I might add a rat tail file and a large pair of regular vise grips. Also, I prefer a larger pry bar and a big ass screwdriver.
These are just personal preferences based on my experience.

No criticism, just possible suggestions. I’d be happy to wheel with someone this well equipped!

I do have two breaker bars currently. I am not sure a 3/8” one with an adapter will be able to remove the 36mm axle nut. I do have a 3/8 to 1/2” adapter. So maybe it would be ok. It would be nice to remove one. Hmmm I could consider keeping the 1/2” and adding a reducer. I wonder if that would fit in the case? I’ll have to look into it.

Good point regarding the flare nut wrenches. In theory I Should not be doing that level of work on brake lines. Worst case would probably be tightening a loose one, which hopefully never happens.

Good idea, on the magnetic screwdriver set, that actually makes a lot more since. I will start researching a quality option. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that.

The pry bar I chose is definitely a compromise. I have been going back and fourth on a slightly larger one with a handle.

If I can free up a bit of space by getting rid of the Torx screwdrivers it would likely be worth it to add a regular pair of vice grips.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I have been trying to leverage the forum more and more to get second opinions on things. It really helps.

I'd like to whittle down my set of tools. I know I have some socket and wrench sizes that I don't need. But short of going around 1 nut and bolt at a time, I'm not sure what I can get rid of.

Yeah I always used to think I could trim down the sockets but, I just gave up because I would always think I had it figured out and I would find some random sized bolt that needed that one socket I left out.

Reactions: MountaineerTom