Tool Organization for Small Garage

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
We are moving into our new home in WA. There are lots of challenges. One of them is the garage. Two car, minimal size. I have lots of tools, especially for woodworking and the Jeep. I found this system and was wondering if anyone had any experience or if you knew of something better. I’m reticent because I don’t know of this company. Thanks for any help.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPZVK43/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: TJ Starting
I found this system and was wondering if anyone had any experience or if you knew of something better. I’m reticent because I don’t know of this company.

I don't have any personal experience but I do know that the same brand is sold at Home Depot and often shows up in their "daily deal" emails.

Reactions: JMT
I was going to say it looks a lot like the stuff they sell at home depot.

Personally my workshop is total mess but I've got a bunch of stuff in there. My woodworking tools take up the majority of the space but you just cant make a cabinet saw any smaller and a miter saw station takes up a ton of room too (but you can pack quite a bit of storage under it).

I bought a medium sized Milwaukee tool box from them a while back and that has helped a ton to organize my automotive and cordless tools. Personally I think for $1500 I'd buy a bunch of plywood and build some quick workbenches with storage underneath. If you build it yourself you can customize it to fit the tools you have better IMO. I like to use opportunities like that to buy new tools. Oh these particle board cabinets cost $1500 but would cost me $500 in parts. Looks like I get to buy a $1000 tool to make the job easier. ;) 👍

Reactions: matkal
I bought a 6ft tall rolling tool cabinet off CL (NEW) several years ago. For $600. I saw a similar one at Costco last week. It holds all my mechanic and other tools. And it's MOVABLE. Even my work table has wheels. I have a small garage too. I would encourage you to buy things you can move and re-organize your space with. As your needs change - different cars, different projects etc etc. If I were to do anything permanent I would build it myself. So that if I hated it I could tear it out. Or at least move it. Hell for $1500 you could have someone build you something to suit. That would be five times better than that unit. PRobably custom to your space. And with wheels that you could move.

I would agree with moab, storage with wheels is the way to go. It allows you to move your tools to where you’re working. I also believe in work benches and have them on 3 of the 4 walls in my barn/shop with plenty of storage shelves under and over them.

A good friend of mine is a union carpenter. When they remodel a office or a work area they’ll keep the cabinets and counters for their friends who want them. He got me a 16’ base cabinet and countertop along with 3 solid walnut wall cabinets. This came from a major research hospitals corporate hq. I have more cabinet space in my garage than I do in my kitchen and I still need more storage.

The new age stuff gets good reviews but just make sure if you compare it to something else it’s the welded units not the bolt together cabinets.
I know there is a strong temptation the buy a whole storage unit and get right to organizing the garage ASAP.
I was in the same boat 4 years ago when I moved back to AZ.
But if you're storing a lot of woodworking tools ( planner, router table, bench top joiner etc. make sure they will fit in the cabinets and the shelves will support the weight.

For the last 25? years and four houses my shop has contained this three module, removable top, storage unit. It’s made 3 cross country moves and has evolved over the years. I’m glad each time I was able to take it with me.

These pics show it disassembled and in use in my basement in Michigan. This gives you an idea what I’m talking about.
9E3388C2-5B06-4AEA-B7D8-14C7208BF74F.jpeg

BB1BA950-6E77-48C5-B873-84BE531EB8E9.jpeg

In my current garage I built a metal topped work bench over my former work rollaway.
I LOVE this set up.
I designed it so the metal bench top height lines up with the cabinets in the above pictures.

9E46B122-E783-4DDD-939D-7E044C825BAA.jpeg

I also got tired of the crap stored on the floor on the back wall. It was a pain cleaning around everything with the mess from the miter saw.
17216495-CE9C-4384-9619-1E06F90468E4.jpeg

I resisted a built in as long as I could, but finally built the bench unit in these last two pictures.

5EB9D300-DC37-4BC7-A566-C5CA1F15E845.jpeg

296128DF-553E-4D4D-82A5-0B7133BAA7C9.jpeg

The wall storage cabinets for the hardware bins let me get rid of an old steel shelf unit that was taking up valuable floor space. Now I have a great spot for a floor model drill press!

My advice is buy a roll away, build a bench, maybe get a 6’ tall foot cabinet or two and build the rest of your storage to suit your needs and how you find yourself working in your shop space.

Think about storage all the time.
When I built my bench over my rollaway, I knew I wanted a plywood panel to provide torsional stiffness in the legs and horizontal pieces.

Instead of setting the panel in a rabbet and making it flush with the outer edges of the end assembly, I made the panel flush with the INNER edges and gained storage. This works nicely for often used things right at the end of the bench where they are needed
11F008D6-627F-450E-A770-020BE325A393.jpeg

Last edited:
Think about storage all the time.
When I built my bench over my rollaway, I knew I wanted a plywood panel to provide torsional stiffness in the legs and horizontal pieces.

Instead of setting the panel in a rabbet and making it flush with the outer edges of the end assembly, I made the panel flush with the INNER edges and gained storage. This works nicely for often used things right at the end of the bench where they are needed
View attachment 108505
Whew, you’re wearing me out. It’s incredible what you’ve done. Very awesome. Great ideas for me. I’m inclined to go this direction, just wanting to get it functional ASAP, which has never been me, but I have money now, so there are possibilities.

I bought a 6ft tall rolling tool cabinet off CL (NEW) several years ago. For $600. I saw a similar one at Costco last week. It holds all my mechanic and other tools. And it's MOVABLE. Even my work table has wheels. I have a small garage too. I would encourage you to buy things you can move and re-organize your space with. As your needs change - different cars, different projects etc etc. If I were to do anything permanent I would build it myself. So that if I hated it I could tear it out. Or at least move it. Hell for $1500 you could have someone build you something to suit. That would be five times better than that unit. PRobably custom to your space. And with wheels that you could move.
Good plan. Moveable, great idea, casters, large, and CL, I’ll start looking, save some bucks.

Do the woodworking tools have to be in the garage?

I ask because when I moved into my current home I was dealing with a 19x19 2 car garage. I have tons of mechanic tools. But I also have band saw, miter saws, scroll saws, drill press, etc. I almost just decided to make the garage my tool shed and park the cars outside.

Ended up buying a 12x12 metal tuff shed that is now happily my woodworking shop, storage for all my wood, saws, woodworking hand tools and home repair gear and parts. With a little left over for storage of basic crap.

Not sure if your property has room for a shed, but I literally could not do without mine. Besides I would hate the sawdust mess in my garage.

My mechanic tools take up a large 44 inch box and a 25” 5 drawer rolling cart and another 20” by 72” cabinet (same cabinet holds smaller Jeep parts).

I plan to get a shed. I’m going to measure the space I’m thinking of tomorrow and then decide. It could help, but I’m afraid all the MTB’s will take up the space

Last edited:
Reactions: mde8965
Do the woodworking tools have to be in the garage?

I ask because when I moved into my current home I was dealing with a 19x19 2 car garage. I have tons of mechanic tools. But I also have band saw, miter saws, scroll saws, drill press, etc. I almost just decided to make the garage my tool shed and park the cars outside.

Ended up buying a 12x12 metal tuff shed that is now happily my woodworking shop, storage for all my wood, saws, woodworking hand tools and home repair gear and parts. With a little left over for storage of basic crap.

Not sure if your property has room for a shed, but I literally could not do without mine. Besides I would hate the sawdust mess in my garage.

My mechanic tools take up a large 44 inch box and a 25” 5 drawer rolling cart and another 20” by 72” cabinet (same cabinet holds smaller Jeep parts).
Good point about the sawdust. It will get everywhere. I need to think about that. My dad has a whole shop vacuum system.

The new age stuff gets good reviews but just make sure if you compare it to something else it’s the welded units not the bolt together cabinets.
I know there is a strong temptation the buy a whole storage unit and get right to organizing the garage ASAP.
I was in the same boat 4 years ago when I moved back to AZ.
But if you're storing a lot of woodworking tools ( planner, router table, bench top joiner etc. make sure they will fit in the cabinets and the shelves will support the weight.

For the last 25? years and four houses my shop has contained this three module, removable top, storage unit. It’s made 3 cross country moves and has evolved over the years. I’m glad each time I was able to take it with me.

These pics show it disassembled and in use in my basement in Michigan. This gives you an idea what I’m talking about.
View attachment 108498
View attachment 108499

In my current garage I built a metal topped work bench over my former work rollaway.
I LOVE this set up.
I designed it so the metal bench top height lines up with the cabinets in the above pictures.

View attachment 1085000

I also got tired of the crap stored on the floor on the back wall. It was a pain cleaning around everything with the mess from the miter saw.
View attachment 108501

I resisted a built in as long as I could, but finally built the bench unit in these last two pictures.

View attachment 108502

View attachment 108503

The wall storage cabinets for the hardware bins let me get rid of an old steel shelf unit that was taking up valuable floor space. Now I have a great spot for a floor model drill press!

My advice is buy a roll away, build a bench, maybe get a 6’ tall foot cabinet or two and build the rest of your storage to suit your needs and how you find yourself working in your shop space.
Y’all have convinced me. Buy a roll away, a couple of cabinets and the rest DIY to customize for needs and space. Very helpful! Thank you

Reactions: jgaz
Here’s my set up that works for me in my two car garage. I got the table saw after I built the 4x8 rolling cart or else I would have sunk the table saw into the cart since it’s huge. The table has lockable caster wheels and I find it awesome for assembly and disassembly of projects both woodworking and automotive. My garage is 30 ft deep which helps. On the right side where I have a two foot kick out from the garage door I made three levels of shelves the length of the wall space. They are kind of in disarray from the pic but I built 8 individual 2x8 foot platforms so that I can remove or adjust as needed. I also build them so that I can eventually add doors to hide the storage area. All my carts wheel underneath the back counter space which also runs the length of the wall. Home Depot sells 500lb capacity metal shelving for around $100 bucks each. If I didn’t already have the shelving along the back wall I probably would have gone this route, but you lose storage underneath the bottom shelf.

4EB9F2B2-D034-48A9-B03B-8FF5C518FA9E.jpeg

9DE9A1EC-A554-4123-9190-17470CADEACA.jpeg

Reactions: xxdabroxx
Another vote for going the diy/custom built route. I used Pinterest alot to get some great creative ideas for maximizing storage and tool use in a small area. You should check it out while brainstorming.