Tools needed specific to a TJ

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
As @Dave K. is outside wiring all the electrical for the Jeeps home, I thought I would ask if there are tools specific to the TJ that we might need to buy or rent when he gets ready to start his build on his, and I start doing maintenance on mine. He’ll be installing the 4 inch Currie suspension “bundle”. His is an 03 manual rubicon. Mine is a 2000 auto sport.

Thanks

Full set of standard and metric sockets, shallow and deep. Full set of good Torx sockets. A 36mm socket for front wheel bearings. A 12mm 12 pt socket for the front brake calipers. Of course the usual array of hand tools. Oh yea, and a 50 gallon barrel of Kroil :D

13mm 12pt socket for the unit bearings. Make sure you have some of the larger torx like t50, t55, and t60 in your set. If you plan to pull the trans I believe there's an etorx involved as well.

A ball joint tool kit while not tj specific is endlessly useful on things that arn't ball joints. (although you can use it on those to)

Brake line fitting wrenches. (they are different than regular wrenches as the fittings don't have square corners.)

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: StG58 and Kathy
I keep a pair of crow's foot wrenches for the control arm jam nuts. They work well with a 1/2" drive ratchet or a breaker bar. IMO, its a better solution than buying the giant wrenches.

You will also want a small pry bar or two to align the johnny joints when you tighten the jam nuts.

Reactions: Kathy
Hmm I needed a t60 for something the other day... Maby I was working on the Dodge, thats a possibility.

13mm 12pt socket for the unit bearings. Make sure you have some of the larger torx like t50, t55, and t60 in your set. If you plan to pull the trans I believe there's an etorx involved as well.

A ball joint tool kit while not tj specific is endlessly useful on things that arn't ball joints. (although you can use it on those to)

Brake line fitting wrenches. (they are different than regular wrenches as the fittings don't have square corners.)

Is it 13mm?? Thought is was 12. Get both :D

One tool that always seems to get a lot of use is a bench grinder. They come with two grinding wheels but I've replaced one with a wire brush wheel. Great for cleaning up threads, parts and the occasional finger if you're not paying attention.
Yes, have used my share of grinding wheels tackling my rust situation! Large and small. Thanks!

5/8” spark plug swivel socket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That actually was one of my first official tools I bought for myself. It was nicer than Dave’s and it came in handy when I changed my spark plugs. Love it! Thanks

Reactions: zip04
One of these work well for those stubborn parts lol
hammer.jpg

Last edited: