Top half of rear main seal won't budge

Ranger

Hey guys I have watched youtube videos and read through this forum and cannot find anything on the issue I am having, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The top half of the seal is not budging. I have taken a punch to one end and the other end of the seal hasn't moved. The end I am using the punch on is just recessing that end of the seal into the seat, please help!

I had the same problem. I got a longer punch and rounded off the end so to not gouge the metal. Get the punch on the wire in the seal and just keep whacking it with a hammer. It will eventually start to move.

Reactions: Chris
Another trick is to loosen all the main bearing bolts.
About to say the same with a giant caution to make sure you have a torque wrench handy to put them back to torque and be careful. I've had a couple that just wouldn't move and had to do it that way.

Reactions: Daryl
About to say the same with a giant caution to make sure you have a torque wrench handy to put them back to torque and be careful. I've had a couple that just wouldn't move and had to do it that way.

Yup, real common when doing an in frame overhaul on a Diesel engine.

I did one on an 87 XJ that was really stuck in there good and I thought it was never gonna come out. Just took some time with a punch and hammer and she eventually broke loose and slid out fairly easily from there.

I had the same problem. I took a small screwdriver and inserted it between the seal and the block to try and loosen it. For me, that was enough and it came out easily after that.

I have had to have someone turn the crank using the pully bolt as I taped on the rear main seal to get it to move a few times on various motors. Just watch the top main bearing and if it moves just roll the crank back and slide the main back with it.