Top of the World September 12, 2020

rasband

Dickhead 🍆
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I finally got to Moab after a few jeeps and always wanting to be ready for it. This trip was with my buddy in a 96 4Runner that he has built from salvage to a pretty awesome build.

Given that it was my first moab trip and I’m new to video, I made a number of errors in recording but published what I have.

I think the rest of the trip has a bit more well rounded video as I’m learning and remembering what shots I want.

Expedition Moab Ep. 01 | Getting to the Top of the World in Utah

Nice, looking forward to the next installment. One tidbit: In the beginning, you were doing some narration, but when the music started it was much louder, and I was groping for my volume control. Other than that, very nicely done! I liked the backwards facing camera shots too.

Nice, looking forward to the next installment. One tidbit: In the beginning, you were doing some narration, but when the music started it was much louder, and I was groping for my volume control. Other than that, very nicely done! I liked the backwards facing camera shots too.

Thank you for the feedback, I’ll work on moderating all that together better for the next one (Elephant Hill). I’d rather not blast folks away!

I’m working on better “b-roll” so the next few have some other experiments (mounted under, on the mirror, etc)

Reactions: DrDmoney
Awesome video. The drone footage does a good job showing the height but as you know it still way crazier in person. Can't wait to see some more videos from your trip.

Thank you for the feedback, I’ll work on moderating all that together better for the next one (Elephant Hill). I’d rather not blast folks away!

I’m working on better “b-roll” so the next few have some other experiments (mounted under, on the mirror, etc)
Elephant hill was one of my favorites. @JMT and I ran it toward the end of the trip. Not that hardest trail but the scenery was amazing. Did you do poison spider?

Elephant hill was one of my favorites. @JMT and I ran it toward the end of the trip. Not that hardest trail but the scenery was amazing. Did you do poison spider?

Elephant Hill scared my buddy in the 4Runner off of my other bucket list trails, so we didn’t hit it :/. I think he was shocked as I lead these trails blind and they weren’t a big deterrent.

His build is more overland oriented and he had a drive home to Michigan (though it handled everything exceptionally well).

He did ride with me on Fins and Things in the 95+ heat and was stunned by the rubicon gearing and traction!

Reactions: Alex01
Elephant Hill scared my buddy in the 4Runner off of my other bucket list trails, so we didn’t hit it :/. I think he was shocked as I lead these trails blind and they weren’t a big deterrent.

His build is more overland oriented and he had a drive home to Michigan (though it handled everything exceptionally well).

He did ride with me on Fins and Things in the 95+ heat and was stunned by the rubicon gearing and traction!
Those climbs are no joke. I remember thinking this was straight up at the time until I got out and took the photo.
20190428_173235.jpg

I can't wait to get back. Moab is amazing.

Thanks for sharing that, I think that’s the first drone footage I’ve seen of TOTW. which tie rod do you have?

That drone has a very good camera on it. I think I remember you have a DJI mavic? I didn't realize how far drones had come until I pulled that up on my 4k monitor. Great video quality.

TOTW is a trail I've wanted to run but never have. I have to hit Hells Revenge and Poison Spider each time I'm Moab since I like those trails so much. Combine that with a few hiking days and not much time to run much else. Maybe I'll make the 2022 Moab trip for it.

Those climbs are no joke. I remember thinking this was straight up at the time until I got out and took the photo. View attachment 190869

I can't wait to get back. Moab is amazing.

I don’t know how to capture the feeling still, video makes them look like “cool man but I could roll that in a suby”...

As I look after the fact, I think I’ll do a side by side for the GoPro modes to see if linear vs wide vs superview can better capture the experience and compliment that with a non-stabilized view.

Really what I’m looking to capture is what features are like, and how rigs handle them. I have no vested interest in what does well or not, beyond my self interest of improving my build.

What’d you think of the TOW trail?

The trail itself wasn’t my favorite as far as features are concerned (we did the right fork only on the lollipop) - but I’d say it was entirely worth it for the end.

I’ll do the trail again any time I visit moab just because there’s no way to share or remember the view at the top that captures reality.

I love that trail, and can't wait to go back, hopefully with fewer SBS's in the way.

I bent my tie rod quickly backing off an obstacle with a SBS busting down (not on the video). But at 2:40 there’s a great “when in doubt, throttle out” situation...

Reactions: DrDmoney
The trail itself wasn’t my favorite as far as features are concerned (we did the right fork only on the lollipop) - but I’d say it was entirely worth it for the end.

I’ll do the trail again any time I visit moab just because there’s no way to share or remember the view at the top that captures reality.
Agree, the top is worth the mundane ledges

Agree, the top is worth the mundane ledges

Have you done the East side of the lollipop? If so, what’s it like? I wanted to do the loop, but more so wanted to work with my group to not toss them in deeper than they were ready for since this was day 1.