Topping off coolant

DropTopDon

TJ Enthusiast
I have heard not to mix coolants, so how can I top off my low coolant? My coolant is green.

Mixing coolants isn't a good thing. Do you know specifically what type of coolant you currently have? If so then match it. If you don't know you could top off with distilled water if it's just a little low. Or consider this time for a flush and replacement. A HOAT coolant is recommended, you will find they are available in various colors though. Read the label to ensure it is HOAT, flush and refill. And keep the container or buy an extra so you know for next time what you have.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
I lost probably about 8-12 fluid ounces of coolant. I’m thinking instead of risking mixing coolant or flushing my entire system I’m just going to add distilled water. If I have any overheating problems I’ll just flush completely and fill with one coolant

Reactions: hear
Straight water will cool better than anything else, so you will not have any cooling issues by adding water. The freeze point of your coolant may be slightly affected, though.

Reducing the antifreeze/water ratio from 50/50 down to 40/60 would change the freeze point from -34F to - 10F.

The boiling point will change by around 7F. You’re not gonna notice any difference in operation.

Last edited:
Reactions: DropTopDon
This is what I use in all of my Jeeps regardless of the year.
b276-e643f307c6bb.38452a33b74fbc3de8a18eff852cbb3d.jpg

I lost probably about 8-12 fluid ounces of coolant. I’m thinking instead of risking mixing coolant or flushing my entire system I’m just going to add distilled water. If I have any overheating problems I’ll just flush completely and fill with one coolant
Good decision on the distilled water, it's the best choice at this point.