Torque converter to flex plate hole alignment

H_E_H

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
1999 Wrangler 4.0L 32RH auto transmission.
Is there a specific orientation for the holes on the torque converter to align with the flexplate? there is a symbol on the TC at one hole, yet I don't see any such indicator on the flexplate. I measure the TC holes, center-to-center and they appear all the same distance. Thaanks

rGciIcP.jpg

ST8K5Dd.jpg

1999 Wrangler 4.0L 32RH auto transmission.
Is there a specific orientation for the holes on the torque converter to align with the flexplate? there is a symbol on the TC at one hole, yet I don't see any such indicator on the flexplate. I measure the TC holes, center-to-center and they appear all the same distance. Thaanks

View attachment 367375

View attachment 367376

There's a specific orientation. I think the holes are ever-so-slightly off center so it can only line up one way. You might be able to get a couple of bolts in, but the other holes will be like 1/8" off or so. Easiest way is to figure out the orientation with the flex plate off. Otherwise, you'll be guessing as you turn it from the ispection cover.

On my 42RLE there was a big square cutout so you could mark the TC before install. That way you knew where to line it up.

Reactions: H_E_H
There's a specific orientation. I think the holes are ever-so-slightly off center so it can only line up one way. You might be able to get a couple of bolts in, but the other holes will be like 1/8" off or so. Easiest way is to figure out the orientation with the flex plate off. Otherwise, you'll be guessing as you turn it from the ispection cover.

On my 42RLE there was a big square cutout so you could mark the TC before install. That way you knew where to line it up.

That looks to be an aftermarket flex plate but there is not a specific orientation. They will go on and line up no matter which way it is oriented. The OEM flex plates or at least some of them have one hole that is slightly larger for the 32. I can dig one out and check later since I may be confusing that with the AW-4 FP.

Reactions: Jamison C and H_E_H
Thanks. Well either the replacement TC or flexplate is incorrect. The holes aren’t matching up. I matched up the old flex plate against the new TC and though the holes are worn oblong (the entire purpose of this undertaking,) it’s difficult to discern if they’re off alignment as well. Damn

Thanks. Well either the replacement TC or flexplate is incorrect. The holes aren’t matching up. I matched up the old flex plate against the new TC and though the holes are worn oblong (the entire purpose of this undertaking,) it’s difficult to discern if they’re off alignment as well. Damn

Put the new plate on the old converter and see what it looks like.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Put the new plate on the old converter and see what it looks like.

Yep, just did that very comparison. The new TC is incorrect. Grrr. I should have lined the holes up before putting in ATF+4. I wonder if AutoZone will take it back.

The OEM flexplate has a 10" bolt circle evenly spaced for the 32rh torque convertor.

luckily I was Able to return the torque converter to Autozone. Unfortunately, that is the only type/version they have that I could order. I am surprised that NAPA auto parts was not able to secure me one when I originally looked. Is there anywhere else where I can find a new torque converter?!?
I’ll try searching online to order one as well

Last edited:
luckily I was Able to return the torque converter to Autozone. Unfortunately, that is the only type/version they have that I could order. I am surprised that NAPA auto parts was not able to secure me one when I originally looked. Is there anywhere else where I can find a new torque converter?!?
I’ll try searching online to order one as well

Call Joe at Westminster and do exactly what he says. 714-898-0089

You asked if there is anywhere else you can source a new torque converter. Joe at Westminster Transmission will know that answer and may even be able to sell you one. Do whatever he says to do.

Excellent thanks!

Earlier in the week, I Spoke With joe at Westminster. Unless I can get someone to tap the stripped threads, I’ll probably need to order a new TC from Rock auto.