Torque spec for aluminum skid plate - different than steel spec?

Sunder

TJ Enthusiast
Does the torque spec change when you are replacing a steel part with an aluminum part?
Specifically, what is the torque spec for an aluminum transfer case skid plate for a 97 Jeep TJ?

I've replaced my stock steel transfer case skid plate with an aluminum one.
The stock torque spec is 55 ft/lbs.
I've also heard that if you use antiseize, it should be reduced to around 50 ft/lbs.

I've heard that torque spec change for steel wheels vs aluminum wheels, so I am curious if it changes for skid plates.

I've snapped the original ones before due overtightening, hence why I like using a torque wrench now. I'm paranoid of overtightening bolts. BTW -new nutserts have been installed.

There were no mounting instructions.
I've email the manufacturer (today) for their opinion.
I thought I'd double check with you guys too.

Go for the standard torque level for those bolts with the aluminum skidplate.

Yes for sure reduce the torque when using any kind of lubricant on the threads like antiseize, Loctite, etc. but the reduction amount should be 20%. So for a bolt that would normally be tightened dry to 50 ft-lbs, reduce it to 40 ft-lbs. Or for your 55 ft-lbs spec, reduce it to 44 ft-lbs. or close. Reducing the ft-lbs. level when the threads are lubricated keeps the clamping force the same.

Just wanted to give another thank you to Jerry, all the contributing members of this forum (in other threads) and to Chris for hosting this forum.
Without this forum, I wouldn't have an answer to this, as well as many other questions.

It's been a week since I emailed the manufacturer about the torque spec (and a potentially missing piece), and they haven't sent me a reply.
Customer service like that has always irked me, especially when they are larger priced purchases.

I don't feel guilty in mentioning that it's UCF (Under Cover Fab). They were not my 1st choice for a skid plate solution, but having a '97 auto TJ severely limited my choices.
Luckily I was able to re-use a part from my original skid plate to make their skid plate work, but was disappointed that I had to do that and cannot re-use my original skid plate elsewhere now (which I had planned to - as I have a 2nd Jeep being built that doesn't have a skid plate).

I don't necesarily have buyer's remorse, as this was one of the very few options I knew of available to me with regards to aluminum engine/transfer case skids.
But not being answered is a pet peeve of mine, (especially when I think I spent over $1000 on an incomplete product) and it's enough of an issue that I thought I'd post it here.
I'm also left wondering if I could have purchased the Savvy skid (non 97 auto) and do the same thing to salvage the part the auto transmission mount (the mount for the mount?) to make it work. That would have been my 1st choice. I have to drill my own holes in the UCF one anyway.

(Maybe someone else knows - there was no place for the "transmission mount" to...mount to on the UCF skid. The UCF skid I bought with the '97 auto option. If I had been purchasing this skid to replace a damaged original skid, I would be out of luck. I did not see the requirement to re-use this attachment on their website, so it was a complete surprise. Maybe it's my fault?)

I had no such problems with my Savvy gas tank skid. All the parts were there for me install as is. (And Savvy did reply to me back when I asked if he had a solution available for 97 auto TJ's).
So I know where I lean towards when spending my money on my next project.

Note: this is less of a bash, and more of an explanation (and opportunity for both businesses and customers to learn) as to why I'll choose to take my business elsewhere in the future, as well as my recommendations.
The most important thing to me is how I feel after I owned/used a product. Some I love and promote, while others I regret.

/rant

——————-
Short version: forum good for answering. UCF bad for not answering, and missing parts.
——————-

Reactions: Chris
I can't comment on the Savvy skid for sure, but Martin and the guys are Savvy are extremely responsive. All you have to do is call them up and ask them that question about the skid, and they'll have a 100% for sure answer for you. My guess though is that it would work.

As for UCF, I'd reach out to them via phone or email again. There's always a chance they didn't get your query. I've had it happen to me from time-to-time, where people said they tried to get ahold of me, but I never saw their email at all. Not in my spam, not in my junk, etc.

Hey guys. Hope it's OK for me to reply to this here. Jerry is correct on this one. The fact that is an aluminum skid plate does not affect the recommended torque specification. I'm very sorry that I did not get back to the OP. I just searched through my emails and don't see anything that has appeared in my inbox mentioning torque specs since back in March. Did you email me directly or use the contact us link on the website? I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Reactions: Sunder and StG58
Hey guys. Hope it's OK for me to reply to this here. Jerry is correct on this one. The fact that is an aluminum skid plate does not affect the recommended torque specification. I'm very sorry that I did not get back to the OP. I just searched through my emails and don't see anything that has appeared in my inbox mentioning torque specs since back in March. Did you email me directly or use the contact us link on the website? I would like to get to the bottom of this.
Hey! Thanks for joining up and chiming in.

You folks may very well sell me a bunch of aluminum over the next couple of years.

Reactions: Chris
I did it via website. (which is unusual for me - I must have been in a rush)
On the website, I clicked "contact".
For the subject, I chose "Customer service"

Perhaps the issue is the functioning of the website?
(I should know better - I work with computers...they don't always work as they're supposed to)
Checking now - I did not receive an "automatic confirmation" email about my reply - which also leaves it entirely possible that I made a mistake in entering it in as well. (I may have either not hit 'send', or waited to verify it was sent, etc).
Either way - I feel a bit stupid for that now.

Because I should note, (now that I'm checking my email), that I did send 2 (different) email directly to "[email protected]" prior to purchase in which I did receive a prompt response that same day.

I am not sure why I clicked "contact" instead of sending via email that time.
I usually do everything via email whenever possible.

The message would have contained (because I still have it in my notepad to copy/paste):

"RE: Order #004676

I ordered the aluminum ICF deep-cover skid plate system w/aluminum engine skid (and windshield guards) for my 97 Jeep TJ auto.
I have 2 questions:

1. Was the skid plate supposed to come with the auto transmission mount? Mine did not come with one. (Not the LOPRO mount, as I was told the LOPRO does not work with the 1997 3-speed auto).
Luckily I was able to re-use the one from my original skid plate, but won't be able to use the stock skid plate on the other Jeep now.

2. Does the transfer case skid plate torque spec change from the stock spec (55lbs) due to the material being aluminum?
I believe torque specs for steel vs aluminum wheels change, so I'm wondering was the torque spec is for the aluminum skid plate"

Summary: UCF DID reply to earlier emails very promptly (which I had forgotten I sent).
It is very possible that my last email (entered through the website) did not reach UCF.
I feel dumb if that is the case, and should not have accused UCF of ignoring me.
I apologize for that, as I may have jumped the gun.

I would also like to thank UCF for responding to this thread, and I take back my rant about customer service (as I'm now guessing it's either my fault, or the website's fault).

I'd also like to still ask you about question #1. (which is the metal mount that the rubber/metal transmission mount, mounts to...the 4 bolts one)

I have never seen a skid plate come with a replacement transmission mount, and I'm not sure why it would if it was designed to mount to your existing one?

Those four holes were not drilled into the skid?

IMG_3083.PNG

I would also like to thank UCF for responding to this thread, and I take back my rant about customer service (as I'm now guessing it's either my fault, or the website's fault).

I'd also like to still ask you about question #1. (which is the metal mount that the rubber/metal transmission mount, mounts to...the 4 bolts one)

The adapter plate you're referring to is a dealer part that we have chosen to have the customer reuse when mounting to an automatic transmission. A manual transmission TJ (probably 80% of our customers) wouldn't need this part at all. Not including this adapter plate with the skid plate was a financial decision designed to keep the cost of the part down. Last time I checked that part was around $30 at the dealer. The shape of the part would make it difficult to reproduce with a press brake so we chose to leave it out an let the customer reuse the original part. Sorry it wasn't clearly communicated via the product listing. I will get it added to the description.

Thanks for purchasing our product. Let me know if you have any more questions or if any issues arise from the installation or use of the skid plate.

I have never seen a skid plate come with a replacement transmission mount, and I'm not sure why it would if it was designed to mount to your existing one?

Those four holes were not drilled into the skid?

View attachment 20472
The 4 very large holes were drilled into the skid.
But I noticed that when I put the nuts on trans mount bolts...they didn't hold the transmission mount to the skid plate.
The holes were much larger than the nuts.

On my stock skid plate, there was a "bracket/mount" of some sort that was attached to the skid plate, that had 4 "smaller" holes that did hold the transmission mount to the skid plate. (now I know it's called the adapter plate)

Stock: transmission -> transmission mount (with 4 bolts) -> "another mount" that receives the 4 bolts -> skid plate
Without that "another mount", the transmission mount bolts just freely sat within the holes in the skid, but held onto nothing.

Last edited:
Hey... UCF joined the forum. I'll have to take back anything I said! That shows that they obviously care.

Sounds like this was possibly a user / website error all along. I'm going to edit my original post.

Reactions: StG58
The adapter plate you're referring to is a dealer part that we have chosen to have the customer reuse when mounting to an automatic transmission. A manual transmission TJ (probably 80% of our customers) wouldn't need this part at all. Not including this adapter plate with the skid plate was a financial decision designed to keep the cost of the part down. Last time I checked that part was around $30 at the dealer. The shape of the part would make it difficult to reproduce with a press brake so we chose to leave it out an let the customer reuse the original part. Sorry it wasn't clearly communicated via the product listing. I will get it added to the description.

Thanks for purchasing our product. Let me know if you have any more questions or if any issues arise from the installation or use of the skid plate.
Thank you. Now I know I was not missing a part.
But I didn't realize we were expected to re-use the adapter plate.

I personally think that it should be indicated on the website better. (I would have still bought it - but would at least have been aware of it).
Perhaps others would say the 'mounting hardware not included' said that, but I didn't get that impression when it was followed by just listing the bolts/washers that would be needed to be purchased separately.

Website description: "Fits '97-'02 Jeep Wrangler TJs with standard or automatic transmissions."
"Mounting hardware not included. '97-'02 TJs will require (6) 1 1/2" long x 1/2"-13tpi hex bolts with flat washers."

I also understand that the '97-02 with auto's customers are much more rare, so it may not come up often. And most others probably wouldn't be planning to re-use their old skid plate on another vehicle either.
I do wonder if the Savvy one would have worked too if I just re-used my old adapter plate though.

But thank you - I feel better knowing I wasn't missing a piece, as well as having my questions answered.

And there was no other issue with installing the transmission skid plate - it's on now.
(I haven't installed the engine skid yet - but that's due to me waiting to change my rear axle pinion angle before I drill the holes, in case it alters the hole location slightly)

Reactions: StG58