Torque Wrench Calibration

97' 4 Popper

Opened a Can of Worms
Supporting Member
I am doing a little survey. How many folks here calibrate their torque wrenches and how often?

I have a Pittsburgh 150 ft 1/2 inch and a Duralast 3/8ths drive. And also I have a 1/2 inch drive Pittsburgh that I accidentally dropped really hard on the ground and now it's my beater/ removal only torque wrench. It's been useful for removing fasteners in tight and cramped areas.

I was happy with the "feel" of the torque wrenches especially the 3/8ths. In the beginning I put them away wound up but after a few months I learned that is the wrong thing to do I started storing them properly unwound and at 10 ft pounds. I didn't feel the need to calibrate them and I got a lot of use from them in the summer of 2021 but now a year later after barely ever touching them the whole fall winter and spring I am thinking about checking myself before wrecking myself.

I have Snap On torque wrenches that I have had for over 40 years, I used them weekly when I worked on class 8 trucks in the 70s and 80s. They range from 500 ft lbs. to 5 inch lbs. I have had them checked 3 different times over the years and they have never needed adjustment. I store the click type ones completely backed off and in the plastic case and the dial type inch pound one in its case as well. I think the better quality wrenches are built better and need less maintenance. JMO

I have Snap On torque wrenches that I have had for over 40 years, I used them weekly when I worked on class 8 trucks in the 70s and 80s. They range from 500 ft lbs. to 5 inch lbs. I have had them checked 3 different times over the years and they have never needed adjustment. I store the click type ones completely backed off and in the plastic case and the dial type inch pound one in its case as well. I think the better quality wrenches are built better and need less maintenance. JMO
Well that is reassuring for me to hear, as the manufacturers say annual re-calibration is needed. I do regret cheaping out and buying the Pittsburgh. But I also anticipate needing torque wrenches that go up to 250 or 500 so that is my opportunity to get something nice. I will look into snap on.

They say they need calibration every X amount of time because if you're doing something where there's actual liability if a torque wrench doesn't report within spec, the manufacturer doesn't want any part of it. It's not that the calibration is likely to drift that far off in that time, but there's certainly no incentive for the manufacturer to guarantee accuracy out that far.

On the other hand, consider that even if a torque wrench was hilariously far off, there isn't much on a road-going vehicle where even as much as +/- 10% is going to be a problem. 10% low is still going to be "tight" on almost every fastener, and 10% high isn't going to snap anything. Just using a torque wrench at all puts you ahead of the pack.

I bought a used snap-on from Craigslist that has to be decades old. It seems to be right in line with the beam type I'd been using for years. I don't worry about it too much.

But yeah, in a manufacturing environment I've always seen them checked yearly. Not sure how often the check actually reveals a need for any adjustment.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
I will look into snap on.
After you pick your jaw up off of the floor, once you see the prices, hopefully you realize that the home mechanic just doesn’t need that level of overpriced tools…
I have used a Snap-On 0-250 pound torque wrench for decades and it is definitely decent, but no way would I buy it new. I have used many many different brands over the last 29 years…
I can say with absolute certainty that all of my CDI torque wrenches are every bit as accurate, or better, than any other torque wrench I have ever used. Take a look at them…
I am fortunate enough to have a very good friend that is able to test our torque wrenches whenever asked…

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
Sta-bil has a shelf life of two years. The bottle on my shelf is five years old now. Seems ironic to only have a short life. 😵
Sta-bil has several different use types...
Short term use and Storage use.... are to name a few.
I have a generator staged for emergencies in which I heavy dosed the fuel.
Usually run the generator every 3-6 months for 20 minutes to test then close the fuel valve to run the bowl dry.
The 120/220V Generac generator starts first pull every time...
The fuel in the poly tank is 4-5 years old and there has been no noticeable difference in performance.

Reactions: Blondie70
This is what I do for a living...

For home mechanics, once every 5 years, or after dropping on a hard surface, should be good. Up that frequency to 1 or 2 years if the wrench drifts too much in that time.

I have found numerous wrenches out of tolerance brand new out of the box. The best wrenches I have found are CDI, then Snap-on... which is why Snap-On bought CDI.

Also be sure to check your other measurement tools occasionally, everything will drift, and usually the cheaper tools drift faster. Levels are easy to do yourself, measure one direction then rotate 180* and measure again. You can buy a bench torque tester cheap enough if you are overly concerned, usually for the cost of a couple of calibrations. Biggest issue with Meters, is the leads will go bad, get a good set of leads and store them properly.

I’ve always been interested in pre set torque wrenches. I wonder if they ever need calibration.

Anyone here ever use one?
There were several of them used in the boat industry in production, they were in a Tee handle configuration. Those guys were pretty rough on them, I think they got them at Mc Master Carr.

I’ve always been interested in pre set torque wrenches. I wonder if they ever need calibration.

Anyone here ever use one?
They absolutely do, almost more so than adjustable, as they are constantly under tension.

And also, don't leave your wrench stored at max setting... take it to the lowest setting, also don't fully unwind... if you go below the lowest setting, there is a good chance you'll find the end of the threads, and undo the set bolts.